1300 R shaftdrive oil seal - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

1300 R shaftdrive oil seal

I planned to replace my tires this month anyway, but last Saturday had a flat on the rear tire about ten miles from home, so today ordered two new tires which should arrive in three days or so. Then I will have to take them to have them mounted. I generally take the wheels off and carry them to a place I have used several times. Since my present tires have about 16K on them, I thought that it would be a good time to lube the final drive and driveshaft etc since it has been over a year or so. Anyway, I pulled the final drive and found the oil seal on the driveshaft all rolled up and a metal spring ring sitting out on top of the seal. I think this ring came out of the oil seal. It is not the stopper ring but another one. I guess it happened the last time I had the drive shaft off over a year ago. I have had no leaks, but ordered a new oil seal, etc today to replace it. I think that the last time I installed the shaft I separated the shaft and the drive and put the shaft in the universal joint first then stuck the drive on it. I have been reading up on how to replace the shaft/final drive and there is not much information about it on the site or in the manual but the recommendation seems to be to put the shaft/drive in as a unit which is kindly hard to do since you have to hook the universal joint which is pointed down. So my question is how do you install the oil seal on the shaft to make it stay and how is the best way to insert the shaft/drive into the universal joint. Has anyone had any experience with this. Thanks. Just waiting for my parts now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:15 PM

Garage
There are probably a few threads on it with some hints.
I removed the final from the swingarm in 2013 to lube the driveshaft splines.
I used the service manual and what others had suggested to get the u-joint back on the driveshaft.
Other than that I do not remember much. (Except using the incorrect socket size and almost rounding the nuts off)

I googled 'vtxoa: driveshaft u-joint'
and have manyresponses.
This one was about a seal>> Leak from U-joint rubber boot

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 05-16-2017 at 09:27 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I did do a search before asking the question on this site. There is not a lot of information on this issue, and I did not find any specific information resolving the question I had. So guess that it has not been a problem for most people. Maybe Honda figured people would just use common sense on it. Anyway, I am still waiting on the part which should be in today, and have been looking at the situation, and the main problem of stabbing the U joint with the shaft drive while still maintaining the oil seal in postion. I think I have figured it out. Pull the rubber boot aside and put something like a screw driver etc under the U drive to hold it in the center so that the combined shaft drive/final drive can be inserted. I was able to do a dry run and finally got it after a while, so will try that later today. As for the "oil" seal which apparently just sticks on the shaft drive and stays there on its own, I am less sure. There is really nothing holding it on and the shaft drive rotates at a high RPM but guess it does not fly off, move etc. I will find out later today. I do not think the "oil" seal actually stops the oil, but the paste anyway. Will not be able to road test it for a couple or three days since my new tires are due tomorrow, then I have to get them mounted and installed.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:55 AM

Garage
Google had many responses, not many regarding the oil seal...
Take some pix and post it. We need pix!

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page