Honda VTX Forum banner

VTX 1300 c, what is this in pic?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Arthas 
#1 ·
Hello all! Loving the VTX and this site. Had the bike about a month. About to do an oil change, and found "this" (pic). Pic taken directly into oil filler area. What in the world is that green thing that looks like a wire? There is also an odd looking surface to the left of it. Hopefully that's normal, and not vandalism when it was parked. I have the Clymer manual and found nothing indicating what those may be. Any thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
We need more pix.
Clear pix! You said "oil filler" area...
Is it below the clutch cable area where the clutch cable connects to the clutch shaft arm?
It is a Green ground wire that has been clipped off and happened to fall to that location?

Reactions: StarrRider
#10 ·
Turns out it was indeed a green snake on a foggy night. Kidding. Really no idea. Bike runs fine. Just an odd place to see something that looks like a wire soldered to something. And yes, inside oil filler hole. It's the best pic I could take with an iPhone camera. A few mere posts in several years, because, signed up for forum long ago when I almost, but didn't, buy a VTX. Finally got one about a month or so ago.

#12 ·
Here's a clearer pic. This pic shows the right side, inside the oil filler hole. The less clear, previous pic, was showing the left side, inside the oil filler hole. Can't get a more clear pic of the left side now, oil was drained in prior pic, oil covers the area on the left now.

#15 · (Edited)
The Yellow wires are the stator wires, the Green wire is the Ignition Pulse Generator wire.
I suspect the stator/IPG was replaced.
They did a poor job of routing the wires.
In the correct location you would not see the wires..
A picture of stator and wiring behind the mounting plates.
Info on removing left crankcase cover to correct wire routing.
From Service manual and I added info..

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
Thank you for that info! Seemed
odd to have visible wires in that location. Started wondering if maybe they were for the neutral switch and kickstand ignition cutoff switch.... Your pics and explanation make perfect sense. Bought the bike used, finding a few things not maintained properly. Runs great but I'll give it as much attention as I can!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.