Hi All, NOEB with a problem already!! - VTXOA
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi All, NOEB with a problem already!!

Hello all, my wife and I have just bought a VTX each, a 2006 R and a 2007 C.

Unfortunately we are already in trouble and need of some guidance. The R ran out of gas. Thinking it should be nothing more than fill her up and off we go, not that easy for some reason. Just would not start. Got her home and checked the plugs after attempting to start and they are dry. Looked at the carb to see if any gas was being pumped out when rotating the throttle and nothing coming out of the accel pump.
So I took the output hose off the tank pep cock, opened it and expected to see gas running out but nothing. I assumed the pep cock was blocked, may be with crud from the gas running out.
Blowing down through the inlet pipe I guessed by the amount of pressure I needed to use the spring loaded diaphragm needs to be overcome before gas will come out of the outlet. What is the purpose of the diaphragm as it is vented to atmosphere? I don't believe there is a gas pump between the tank and the carb?

If any one can offer some next steps it would be appreciated. Looks like the carb may need to come off and be cleaned?
Apologies for so many questions for my first post but we are both new riders and want to get out whilst the Michigan summer holds up!!

Cheers, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:34 PM

Make sure the vacuum line is hooked up to the forward side of the valve.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R
dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
91000 miles 6-17-17
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Garage
The diaphragm is for the vacuum safety feature of the VTX. The vacuum line from the carb, once the engine is turning over, pulls the diaphragm to open the petcock for fuel flow. These are really a pain in the arse...imho. I removed mine after several mmmm hassles. So you hook it all back together and make sure vacuum lines are hooked up, leave the gas line off, turn petcock on, turn the engine as to start and see if fuel runs out.......fuel in tank of course. If yes then hook up fuel line and ride. If not, I would look the vacuum hose over real well, check diaphragm to make sure no holes in it........
The carb may need cleaned but lets get fuel first...

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Garage
>>> I assumed the pep cock was blocked, may be with crud from the gas running out.
Blowing down through the inlet pipe I<<<<

Vacuum to diaphragm to open the gas valve...
You should be sucking on the vacuum hose....

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 181,111 miles of smiles
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, you guessed right, the vacuum line got disconnected!! She runs, now to get out there and enjoy. Appreciate you taking time to help, I'm sure Ill be back.
Now I need some floor boards for the 1300C, time for a search....

Cheers, John
RBS and Dartanuan like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM

My 071300 r stopped running one day. After applying a vacume to the petcock , no gas flowed.igot a diaphram kit for petcock off eBay and that fixed it. Kit # 16953-kea-023 Honda part number. When I took it apart diaphram piston was stuck. Be sure you got a filter on that petcock tube.eo
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:05 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum JTB. As you can see, a great bunch of folks on here. Very knowledgeable and willing to help. If you run into anything else, don't hesitate to throw another question up on here, then just sit back and watch the answers come rolling in.
Safe Riding.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21" Windshield, Kury Engine Bars & Foot Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Mean City Cycles Seat, Cobra Slash-Cut Pipes, Progressive 430 Shocks, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Show Chrome Front Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 AM

Cool

Nice looking rides.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroy60 View Post
Nice looking rides.

I like the red one in the garage!
Pumba23 likes this.

Red '04 1300C, Corbin DT, Hondaline WS, 1300R bars w/TM risers, Cobra Slashdowns, Foot's Mod, buffed wheels, Progressive fork springs, PaPa's Down Under bracket ....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page