Sputter, cough, backfire loss of power, mistery solved! - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Sputter, cough, backfire loss of power, mistery solved!

My bike started acting up last thursday and I thought it was bad gas (Coughing only). Friday the same thing so I burned up the remaining fuel and filled up again. (I checked the board for similar problems and everything indicated it was the battery connections. I took the seat off and the battery was connections were tight, I check the air filter and the plugs, no problem). Saturday I didn't ride but Sunday I went for a 120 mile ride and no problem so I figured it was the gas.
Today I am on my way to work and the bike started doing the same but worst. Backfired, coughed and lack of power. 7 miles out and I had to turn back home. I barely made it.
So I checked the board for similar problems and everything indicated it was the battery connections loose. (Or maybe a foul plug). So I came home took the seat off and the battery connections were tight. I figure maybe a grounding issue because a week ago I installed the hondaline lightbar. Nope I can't find anything. Suddenly while I was putting the battery cover back on I got a glance of the ICM (ignition control module) and saw that the black wire was broken. I mean you could barely see that something was going on there!!!. I have no clue how this got broken but it did. Checking my service manual this wire is hooked to the Engine Stop switch and fuel cut-off relay. No wonder!
In order to fix it I disconnected the 22P connector and with a very small screw driver I had to push the square connector from inside the case. This is very delicate and I ended up bending it a bit. This actually took me awhile since I didn't know how it was hooked inside and I was trying to push in a way not to damage anything. This connector is very strong but it can bend easily. The wire was too short so I ended up extending it with another piece of same gauge wire. I put it back together in the box making sure it was in the right direction. Started the bike and VOILA!!!! (Stupid wire!)
I just wanted to document this in case another member has the same issue.

Honda VTX 1300S 2003
No fuel pump/Tubeless tires on spoke wheels/Cobra pipes/Stebel Horn/
http://www.advlife.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 11:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to michael7276
Thanks for the tip man!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:53 AM

great tip bro.......
ty

http://www.ilads.org/ http://www.lymedisease.org/home.html
Power corrupts and ultimate power corrupts ultimately. Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 of the United States Constitution "The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance."

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:58 AM

Thanks for the info, good to hear you fixed it yourself.

'05 Candy Red 1300C, Cobra mini backrest and laugage rack,seat pin mod..lotsa chrome stuff, proud member of the BUB Club...being made into beer cans as we speak,now a proud owner of a '05 VRSCB,and a recently acquired 1972 Norton Commando 750,and lets not forget the '86 Yammi XJ700X
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:27 AM

Good look'en out man!

Mike,
Black 06 C- "Foot's Mod" 200 Metzler, HK 3" Big Straights, Kuryakyn loaded, including Pro-R Intake, Dynojet Stage III kit, Stainless hose & lines, Pair Valves deleted, Splitfire Triple Platinum Plugs and So Cal Cycle Seat.
http://photobucket.com/albums/f398/mahoneym/?start=all
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 08:12 AM

Great find Kingato. That sure saved lots of hair pulling. Thanks for the post.

I love pics. Any pics?

Thin Man

It's Fun.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:52 AM

Thanks, good stuff! IMO some of Honda's elec connector's (like the 2 speedo nacelle) could be a bit beefier as well.

Biddy

'04 1300 S

Proud C.R.A.P. Member #001

[SIGPIC]http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/xsigpic12648_2.gif.pagespeed.ic.FQrzFoOxD1.jpg[/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info, Tips like that will make me look alittle closer whenever I have the seat off.

05' 1300C Black, Black, Mods: Audiovox Cruise
Safe and Happy Riding
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:02 PM

Re: Sputter, cough, backfire loss of power, mistery solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingato
My bike started acting up last thursday and I thought it was bad gas (Coughing only). Friday the same thing so I burned up the remaining fuel and filled up again. (I checked the board for similar problems and everything indicated it was the battery connections. I took the seat off and the battery was connections were tight, I check the air filter and the plugs, no problem). Saturday I didn't ride but Sunday I went for a 120 mile ride and no problem so I figured it was the gas.
Today I am on my way to work and the bike started doing the same but worst. Backfired, coughed and lack of power. 7 miles out and I had to turn back home. I barely made it.
So I checked the board for similar problems and everything indicated it was the battery connections loose. (Or maybe a foul plug). So I came home took the seat off and the battery connections were tight. I figure maybe a grounding issue because a week ago I installed the hondaline lightbar. Nope I can't find anything. Suddenly while I was putting the battery cover back on I got a glance of the ICM (ignition control module) and saw that the black wire was broken. I mean you could barely see that something was going on there!!!. I have no clue how this got broken but it did. Checking my service manual this wire is hooked to the Engine Stop switch and fuel cut-off relay. No wonder!
In order to fix it I disconnected the 22P connector and with a very small screw driver I had to push the square connector from inside the case. This is very delicate and I ended up bending it a bit. This actually took me awhile since I didn't know how it was hooked inside and I was trying to push in a way not to damage anything. This connector is very strong but it can bend easily. The wire was too short so I ended up extending it with another piece of same gauge wire. I put it back together in the box making sure it was in the right direction. Started the bike and VOILA!!!! (Stupid wire!)
King Dude. I have the exact same thing going on. Based on your finding here I just came in from checking my ECM and all I did was touch the green wire and it fell off the connector. And it won't run without the green wire either. The black wire next to it is nicked through the insulation and no doubt will fail early. Honda dealer will get it courtesy of extended warranty. Thanks man it was driving me crazy.
www.photobucket.com/albums/d50/ridnagn/ecm.jpg That a look at that link showing the wires.
As Always Peaceful Cruisin'
BLACK POWER

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:42 PM

Re: Sputter, cough, backfire loss of power, mistery solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingato
King Dude. I have the exact same thing going on. Based on your finding here I just came in from checking my ECM and all I did was touch the green wire and it fell off the connector. And it won't run without the green wire either. The black wire next to it is nicked through the insulation and no doubt will fail early. Honda dealer will get it courtesy of extended warranty. Thanks man it was driving me crazy.
www.photobucket.com/albums/d50/ridnagn/ecm.jpg That a look at that link showing the wires.
BLACK POWER

This is an update. I delivered my 1300 to the dealer for the above described problem 11 days ago. All I had to do was show them my discovery and let the words 'extended warranty' roll off my tongue. They ordered and installed a new main harness.
I just drove that 1300 home this afternoon from Roseville Cycle Center in Sacramento Ca. The service writer let me know that the next two wires in line on the old connector were beginning to fail and would have eventually broken. And he achknowledged that this is a known defect to Honda.
Thank you kingato for showing me where to look. Everyone. If you are one of the riders who has an unexplained miss-fire really consider looking at the plug. It's on the top of the battery and feeds an electronic engine control unit.
BLACK POWER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page