seized lug nuts. HELP. - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

seized lug nuts. HELP.

My son has an 03 Eclipse. Some time back he had a shop install some tires on new rims. They didn't have "standard" lugs, so they installed some type of "torx" nut. They are the female, and of course the tool to remove it is male.
Don't know the correct terminology.

Well, they have seized onto the lugs. One shop has broken 3 of the torx trying to remove them, though they did get the wheel off to repair the tire.
He brought it back again yesterday to try and get them all changed, but they couldn't remove any of the nuts.
My question is, how do we get them off? I've searched on the net, but have not found any similar situations. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM

probably going to have to break the studs and replace them. Usually the studs will just pound out.

There are no stupid questions,
There's just a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM

also if aluminum wheels make sure you use ant-seize on threads and don't over tighten lug nuts

Ride free ,always ride defensive as though your invisible to people around you2006 1300R
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:57 AM

I don't if this will help but try this and see.

Drill a hole in the nut if you can and pump Wd-40/slick 50 or another liquid to seize nuts loose. Let it set and repeat .

Get a small propane torch (Lowes,Home Depot) and heat up the nut and not the stud , heat expands metal and get the right tool on the nut.

Like I said it is a shot in the dark but what have you got lose.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Senior Pirate

Most tire shops will have special impact gun socket tools for removing locking lug nuts you've lost the key to or broken. As do wheel thieves.

VTX BEATS HARLEY and
Hitler is Pissed!
http://www.break.com/usercontent/201...wasted-1912477

Red Knights MC

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:21 PM

weld

If you have enough space, and a wire welder, you can weld another lug nut, or 1/2" nut on the stuck nut. Make it a pretty good weld, then you can use a regular socke and air impact to remove it. Also the heat from welding may help loosen the original nut. Use wet rags around the area to keep from splatter and damage to wheel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

Good advice from Key Wasted and monsterops.

Oh, and next time, tell them to drop the 1" air impact and back away from the vehicle.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Spray on PB Blaster and let it sit for a few minutes... Then heat with a butane or propane torch for a few seconds and use a big wrench on it.

Works for me...

Darth [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] RoadDawg
Charter Member: Liberals Anonymous and, Red light in a Blue State...

Tapatalk ads SUCK... Sent from my smokey fire pit with a wet blanket
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWasted View Post
Most tire shops will have special impact gun socket tools for removing locking lug nuts you've lost the key to or broken. As do wheel thieves.
Yes, many tire shops do have specialty socket kits designed for the purpose of removing "locking" style or torx type lug nuts. As for removing the standard lug nuts, I have often used a large wrench that I could get some leverage on, such as a torque wrench or breaker bar, and at times would have to use a cheater bar with it as well. Had much success breaking the nuts loose by hand this way where an impact gun wasn't doing it. Very rare to have many of the lug nuts that tight, I wonder if they got cross threaded or were wrong size threads?

EDIT: And as Black MtnMan said, step away from the impact gun when installing the lug nuts. Use a torque wrench for final tightening according to vehicle manufactures specs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2004 VTX1300S
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Another tid-bit that may seem simple, but effective the majority of the time is to have a helper spin the wheel at the same time while running the impact gun. On the passenger side, spin the wheel forward. On the driver side spin the wheel backward.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2004 VTX1300S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page