Was John Wayne a Draft Dodger - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Old Goat

Was John Wayne a Draft Dodger

Prompted by the other thread.....I liked the man and took him for what he was an Actor and someone who loved his country.......bash away..
I will add that Im not defending his reasons...but in 68 I tried to join and was deferred for health reasons then in 69 called for the draft stilled deferred....just sayin....

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...a-draft-dodger

2006....1300R CBC,darkside,foots mod..
"Ive spoken my piece and counted to 3"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to speedsville
I know John Ford and Woody Strode gave him **** over it when shooting movies together since they both went in.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

I believe he provided the best service to the nation doing exactly what he did, make movies and perform on USO tours.
post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 PM

I guess since he couldn't (or didn't) be a real one...he felt the need to play one...

Bull
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaheX View Post
I believe he provided the best service to the nation doing exactly what he did, make movies and perform on USO tours.
...that is singular on USO tour...

Bull
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
GKC

Perhaps he felt the need to make a living for his children...perhaps it was a selfish decision, based on his career interests...but it is all speculation beyond the fact that he didn't serve, since he didn't like to talk about it, and now that he is dead we can't ask. He did serve America, both at the time by making movies that entertained and inspired other Americans...and he became a great spokesman for America as a patriot.

He didn't refuse to serve, as did some...and he obviously later wished he had served. Many of us have made changes in life, and the persons we are now are not what we once were. Nonetheless, I like the man as a actor, as a person, and as an American. He wasn't perfect, and neither is anyone else...but I'd much rather choose his company than someone like Sean Penn, Jane Fonda, or Michael Moore.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:59 PM

The Marine Corps didn't think so when they made him an honorary Colonel, as in you had to salute him. Talking s**t about the duke was a good way to get your ass kicked when I was in the Corps. Just sayin....

Oh and to answer the OP's question, no I don't think he was a draft dodger.

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…"
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:01 PM

No, he was not a draft dodger ..... but an ass may attempt to portray him in that light in order to further an agenda.

post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:10 PM

besides being a muslim muhammad ali was a draft dodger also that is the reason I cannot stand to see him being called a hero.He was a jerk
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilfoil View Post
besides being a muslim muhammad ali was a draft dodger also that is the reason I cannot stand to see him being called a hero.He was a jerk

I'm sure Jane Fonda considers Ali to be a hero, as would Ho Chi Minh!

Yes this was posted sarcastically.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page