NCAA College Football . . . a playoff in 2014!!! - VTXOA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

NCAA College Football . . . a playoff in 2014!!!

Well it's still a couple years away from being a reality, but the Conference Commish's have FINALLY all pulled their collective heads outta their arse's and decided in 2014 there will be a 4 team playoff (Most often refered to as the Plus One System), Yipppeeee!!

I say, it's about darn time . . . . and before anyone starts bashing or asking a bunch of questions, read this . . . .

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...p&sct=hp_wr_a1

So all the Big 12, Pac 12, and Big 10 fans can take a breath, better news is on it's way and you won't have to hate all over the SEC in a couple years . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Mid-South Member #7 (Formally known as the Tennessee Forum)
2003 VTX1800R - Gone
2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
2004 VTX1800C - Gone

2013 HD Road Glide Ultra, Big Blue Pearl!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Thats very nice. What will they do with only 4 teams? Make sure the conference champs from the big 4 conferences all get in? Its a start I guess.

They could do a 16 team playoff just as easily. Sure, the teams would get a few more games. It doesn't hurt the lower division teams a bit, they ain't complaining as they advance week after week.

The lower Bowls become hosting sites for these playoffs, people might even watch them then. I'm sorry, but no 6-5 team should EVER play in a bowl, and thats half of them today.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2003 Retro 1800 Blurple Throbber
Ironbutt Rider, DRAGON-tamer
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

No, not exactly . . . 1 plays 3, and 2 plays 4 at the end of the season . . . doesn't matter which conference they are from . . . and then the winner takes all from those games . . . the issue still up in the air is whether they use "Other" bowl games for those playoff games, or do they use some neutral site, or do they simply use the campus sites for the playoff games . . . these are the cogs they still have to work out.

I'm not sure we'll ever see a 16 team playoff simply because it will push College Football into February to complete that, and THAT isn't gonna happen.

And I agree with a 6-5 team NOT getting awarded to play in a bowl game, but there are simply SOO many teams and SOO many lower tier bowl games that currently occupy this "Air" it's gonna be a slug-fest to get all the details ironed out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2003 VTX1800R - Gone
2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
2004 VTX1800C - Gone

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Glennok

Only the top four teams? What a cop out. Should be eight teams, minimum.

The rankings are so subjective that actually the eighth rated team might be the best. It would also eliminate the ESPN/SEC connection where ESPN can control the BCS through their poll.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I've been saying since before last season that the School AD's and Presidents WOULD NOT allow college football to go past January 9th . . . with the current line-up/schedule there is no way to accomodate that with anything BUT a Plus 1 System (Top 4 Team Playoff's).

Everyone OUTSIDE the SEC likes to point fingers at ESPN and the SEC Commish, but schools like Texas, and Notre Dame have TV Stations and Execs in their back pocket as well, so what to do about all that is a different discussion.

Believe me, I don't think a Plus 1 is the end-all-to-beat-all answer, but it beats the heck outta what we have right now, can I get an Amen!

I also DO NOT like the whole AQ Auto Bid crap that seems to muddy up the waters every year, but I don't see that going away anytime soon either.

Think of this . . . IF the Plus 1 System was in place last year (This past January) Okie State would have had a real and viable chance to get into the National Championship Game . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2003 VTX1800R - Gone
2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
2004 VTX1800C - Gone

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM

12 conferences and only 4 will play in the playoffs. Same ***** different toilet. True playoff with the top 4 teams getting a bye in the first round and then let it roll.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]A country born out of revolution can only mature through revolution.

06' 1300
Candy Orange, Sumo X 240, Desmog, Mr. Freze mod, JDub extentions, Clayton mod...still underconstruction.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

True dat . . . on the 12 conferences, but we all know in reality there are only 6 conferences that the NCAA voters take seriously, sorry Conference USA, sorry Mountain West!

Top 4 out of the current AQ Conferences . . . if they would truly get rid of the AQ I think it might help, but the big problem is people/fans are NOT going to want to see a 12-1 Miami (OH) team play a 10-2 Oklahoma Team for a chance to go to the NC Game! Only the fans of THOSE schools, and a few curious bystanders are going to care . . . everyone else will just assume OK will DESTROY Miami (OH) so why watch it?

Although I'm not a big fan of all the conference alignment, and creation of the "Super Conferences" it does eliminate people p!ssing and moaning about 12-0 TCU getting shut out of the National Championship picture while 2 SEC Schools, or 2 schools from ANY one conference playing each other for all the bragging rights.

It might also force some of these smaller, less noticed conference schools to schedule some of the big boys and see exactly where they line up (i.e. Boise State, Nevada, Appalachian State, and TCU). Does anyone seriously believe a 12-1 Richmond School, beating up their competition in the Colonial Athletic Conference would stand a chance against an Alabama Team that plays almost all the SEC Schools AND teams like Michigan and West Virginia in their non-conference games???

As stated . . . a Plus 1 system is NOT the total answer, but at least the Conference Commish's from the Big 10 and the PAC 12 finally decided to do SOMETHING!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2003 VTX1800R - Gone
2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
2004 VTX1800C - Gone

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJoeJarhead View Post
. . 1 plays 3, and 2 plays 4 at the end of the season . . . .
Under this scenario finishing 2nd overall would then have a advantage over number one

It should be .....1 vs 4 ...... 2 vs 3

[SIGPIC]http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=211&pictureid=950[/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

And it may end up being that, I don't believe (from what I have read) that anything is truly set in stone, yet. The Conference Commish's, the school AD's and Presidents all have a little while to finalize anything . . . there is still a possibility of a 7 Team Playoff at the end of the season . . . I think it's pretty un-realistic it will happen, but with NCAA Football and the amount of $$$$$ it generates, who knows what might happen!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2003 VTX1800R - Gone
2007 VTX1800T - Totalled
2004 VTX1800C - Gone

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJoeJarhead View Post
True dat . . . on the 12 conferences, but we all know in reality there are only 6 conferences that the NCAA voters take seriously, sorry Conference USA, sorry Mountain West!

Top 4 out of the current AQ Conferences . . . if they would truly get rid of the AQ I think it might help, but the big problem is people/fans are NOT going to want to see a 12-1 Miami (OH) team play a 10-2 Oklahoma Team for a chance to go to the NC Game! Only the fans of THOSE schools, and a few curious bystanders are going to care . . . everyone else will just assume OK will DESTROY Miami (OH) so why watch it?

Although I'm not a big fan of all the conference alignment, and creation of the "Super Conferences" it does eliminate people p!ssing and moaning about 12-0 TCU getting shut out of the National Championship picture while 2 SEC Schools, or 2 schools from ANY one conference playing each other for all the bragging rights.

It might also force some of these smaller, less noticed conference schools to schedule some of the big boys and see exactly where they line up (i.e. Boise State, Nevada, Appalachian State, and TCU). Does anyone seriously believe a 12-1 Richmond School, beating up their competition in the Colonial Athletic Conference would stand a chance against an Alabama Team that plays almost all the SEC Schools AND teams like Michigan and West Virginia in their non-conference games???

As stated . . . a Plus 1 system is NOT the total answer, but at least the Conference Commish's from the Big 10 and the PAC 12 finally decided to do SOMETHING!!!
Yessir, I agree! Maybe they could do like pro sports and get rid of the conferences and do a regional thing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]A country born out of revolution can only mature through revolution.

06' 1300
Candy Orange, Sumo X 240, Desmog, Mr. Freze mod, JDub extentions, Clayton mod...still underconstruction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page