Laser sights on a small pistol? - VTXOA
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 3,681
Laser sights on a small pistol?

I have heard that laser sights on a hand gun are more show than go. My instructor said there is a rule of 3. Most defensive gun fights occur in less than 3 feet, 3 shots or less are fired and last about 3 seconds. I can see if your searching for an intruder in a darkened home it could give you that intimidation factor but the blinding light of a flashlight will give you more of an advantage. Anyone have any practical experience where a laser made a huge difference?



What part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand?
bigdaddy1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Philscbx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mpls, Mn
Posts: 9,836
Now aim at the tires at 70 at night - Laser is needed.
End of story.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Scoots 07 Neo III 03 18C ServMan Wiring Dia
Philscbx is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
g1nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SC, Bluffton
Posts: 2,487
My wife won't try any other gun than hers with the Crimson Trace
laser grip. She doesn't really use the sights as much as the laser
I guess. She can out shoot me killing paper targets, and
passed her CCW with it. We both have a Ruger LCR 38 Special.
We have never owned guns before March 2012.

I still don't have it "tuned in" exactly horizontally or vertically.
The instructions use a different verbage just like those dang sailors
that can't say right side or left side.
I would get the laser grip on mine, but hell, the want up to $270.
It is a $30 grip, with a $10 Laser, and a $230 great Idea.

Herb

Support our troopERS.
2008 Victory Vision Tour, Super Steel Gray
2005 VN2000 Kawasaki, Black (2053cc)
2002 GL1800 Honda Goldwing w/ABS, Black
2002 Bushtec Turbo +2 Trailer, Black
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
g1nomad is offline  
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
RoadDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Third Rock (just to the right of the moon)
Posts: 3,140
When in the course of human events, one is called upon to end an attack by some miscreant who just will not be stopped by lessor means. The one who does the stopping MUST know where his/her shot is going. 3 Feet or 30 feet does not matter when you just MUST do it. I have seen professionals who have hesitated to take a shot because it would endanger an innocent to do so using the stock sights on the arm that they were using. ANY and EVERY edge that one can have at there disposal in that situation is a GOOD thing. If one has a small pistol to defend with and no laser sight... They must rely solely on their ability to Acquire the target, Use proper breath control, sight alignment and insure that the back drop does not have an innocent person in the event that they miss. If on the other hand... they have a small pistol WITH a laser sight... Then the only thing that is necessary is to see the little red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger.

Lasers don't lie... nor do they require any more than pointing to gain the advantage. If you are using your small pistol for personal defense... The less you need to do in a SHTF situation, the better chance you have of getting out of it alive. Unless you are the type to go to the range and practice every week with Point Shoot technique... Get the little red dot and MAKE SURE that it is properly "Zeroed" in for the target. If it is set for 10 to 15 yards it WILL be good at anything closer than that range. Anything farther away than that is most likely NOT going to be self defense anyway.


Darth [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] RoadDawg
Charter Member: Liberals Anonymous and, Red light in a Blue State...

Tapatalk ads SUCK... Sent from my smokey fire pit with a wet blanket
RoadDawg is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
RoadDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Third Rock (just to the right of the moon)
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1nomad View Post
My wife won't try any other gun than hers with the Crimson Trace
laser grip. She doesn't really use the sights as much as the laser
I guess. She can out shoot me killing paper targets, and
passed her CCW with it. We both have a Ruger LCR 38 Special.
We have never owned guns before March 2012.

I still don't have it "tuned in" exactly horizontally or vertically.
The instructions use a different verbage just like those dang sailors
that can't say right side or left side.
I would get the laser grip on mine, but hell, the want up to $270.
It is a $30 grip, with a $10 Laser, and a $230 great Idea.

Herb
$270.00 ... Yes? And just how much do you think it is worth to make sure that if and when you need to pull that trigger... the shot is not going to end up in an innocent person?

The same old argument about a 50 dollar helmet for a 50 dollar head... applies here as well.


Darth [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] RoadDawg
Charter Member: Liberals Anonymous and, Red light in a Blue State...

Tapatalk ads SUCK... Sent from my smokey fire pit with a wet blanket
RoadDawg is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg View Post
When in the course of human events, one is called upon to end an attack by some miscreant who just will not be stopped by lessor means. The one who does the stopping MUST know where his/her shot is going. 3 Feet or 30 feet does not matter when you just MUST do it. I have seen professionals who have hesitated to take a shot because it would endanger an innocent to do so using the stock sights on the arm that they were using. ANY and EVERY edge that one can have at there disposal in that situation is a GOOD thing. If one has a small pistol to defend with and no laser sight... They must rely solely on their ability to Acquire the target, Use proper breath control, sight alignment and insure that the back drop does not have an innocent person in the event that they miss. If on the other hand... they have a small pistol WITH a laser sight... Then the only thing that is necessary is to see the little red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger.

Lasers don't lie... nor do they require any more than pointing to gain the advantage. If you are using your small pistol for personal defense... The less you need to do in a SHTF situation, the better chance you have of getting out of it alive. Unless you are the type to go to the range and practice every week with Point Shoot technique... Get the little red dot and MAKE SURE that it is properly "Zeroed" in for the target. If it is set for 10 to 15 yards it WILL be good at anything closer than that range. Anything farther away than that is most likely NOT going to be self defense anyway.

Yep...agree...surely doesn't hurt having one (BodyGuard is one with a built in laser for 350).

Bull
Bull117 is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In the Heart Of Dixie in Montgomery, alabama, home of Hank williams and Nat King cole
Posts: 1,521
Crimson trace lasers rock...got one on my glock 27 and believe me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
I have heard that laser sights on a hand gun are more show than go. My instructor said there is a rule of 3. Most defensive gun fights occur in less than 3 feet, 3 shots or less are fired and last about 3 seconds. I can see if your searching for an intruder in a darkened home it could give you that intimidation factor but the blinding light of a flashlight will give you more of an advantage. Anyone have any practical experience where a laser made a huge difference?
IT'S A LIFE SAVER ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR THROWN TO THE GROUND AND ON YOUR BACK....IT'S MORE THAN PAID FOR ITSELF...10 TIMES OVER
BLURBN


Dixie Rose
BLURBN27 is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
wp120470's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Smithfield N.C.
Posts: 1,423
I can not give you any real world difference a laser can make on a pistol. But, One night this summer I noticed a dim light on my motorcycle trailer in the back yard. I grabbed my M4 and tip toed out the front and quietly aproached to a safe distance and lit the theif up with a 700 lumen tactical light on the rifle. Told him to freeze, At this time I was informed to take my G-damned light off of him I realased the paddle for the flashlight and hit the green laser and ask if that was better, His whole attitude changed when he realized he was about to be the victim. Thankfully it never turned into a deadly force situation. But a laser will avoid a gunfight under the proper circumstances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0299.jpg (41.9 KB, 26 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sent from my 8-Track player using Morse Code.
wp120470 is online now  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
DrRadar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southside, AL
Posts: 4,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1nomad View Post

I still don't have it "tuned in" exactly horizontally or vertically.
The instructions use a different verbage just like those dang sailors
that can't say right side or left side.

Herb
Azimuth is left/right
Elevation is up/down

2005 VTX1300C Roadburner Double Eagles ,
Batwing, BadX double decker 1800C seat and lots of chrome. Riding DS Yokohama Avid S 205/70-15 with Dynabeads......Smooth Ridin
' VTXOA Inmate#37626[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2012 Victory Vision- Fits the Wife's butt just right! Plus a few others. I need to clean out
DrRadar is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
 
DrRadar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southside, AL
Posts: 4,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg View Post
When in the course of human events, one is called upon to end an attack by some miscreant who just will not be stopped by lessor means. The one who does the stopping MUST know where his/her shot is going. 3 Feet or 30 feet does not matter when you just MUST do it. I have seen professionals who have hesitated to take a shot because it would endanger an innocent to do so using the stock sights on the arm that they were using. ANY and EVERY edge that one can have at there disposal in that situation is a GOOD thing. If one has a small pistol to defend with and no laser sight... They must rely solely on their ability to Acquire the target, Use proper breath control, sight alignment and insure that the back drop does not have an innocent person in the event that they miss. If on the other hand... they have a small pistol WITH a laser sight... Then the only thing that is necessary is to see the little red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger.

Lasers don't lie... nor do they require any more than pointing to gain the advantage. If you are using your small pistol for personal defense... The less you need to do in a SHTF situation, the better chance you have of getting out of it alive. Unless you are the type to go to the range and practice every week with Point Shoot technique... Get the little red dot and MAKE SURE that it is properly "Zeroed" in for the target. If it is set for 10 to 15 yards it WILL be good at anything closer than that range. Anything farther away than that is most likely NOT going to be self defense anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp120470 View Post
I can not give you any real world difference a laser can make on a pistol. But, One night this summer I noticed a dim light on my motorcycle trailer in the back yard. I grabbed my M4 and tip toed out the front and quietly aproached to a safe distance and lit the theif up with a 700 lumen tactical light on the rifle. Told him to freeze, At this time I was informed to take my G-damned light off of him I realased the paddle for the flashlight and hit the green laser and ask if that was better, His whole attitude changed when he realized he was about to be the victim. Thankfully it never turned into a deadly force situation. But a laser will avoid a gunfight under the proper circumstances.
I can guarantee that a thug with a knife in NOLA will run like Usain Bolt when he sees the the little red dot on his chest.
I can also attest that the NOLA PD DO NOT GIVE A CRAP!

2005 VTX1300C Roadburner Double Eagles ,
Batwing, BadX double decker 1800C seat and lots of chrome. Riding DS Yokohama Avid S 205/70-15 with Dynabeads......Smooth Ridin
' VTXOA Inmate#37626[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2012 Victory Vision- Fits the Wife's butt just right! Plus a few others. I need to clean out
DrRadar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome