AWESOME....my house was hit by lightning tonight!! - VTXOA
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

AWESOME....my house was hit by lightning tonight!!

Softball sized hole in roof, fried electronics(whole house surge protector not so good ) washer/drier dead, tvs dead, shaving mirror dead. Going back to bed see you in the AM

AMA Life Member 721314
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:10 AM

No fire so that is a plus.

Don't forget to set alarm on cell phone.
PHATV and RBS like this.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
Softball sized hole in roof, fried electronics(whole house surge protector not so good ) washer/drier dead, tvs dead, shaving mirror dead. Going back to bed see you in the AM
Wow that sucks. Make some money on claim if you can. That's what insurance is for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
DuaneS likes this.

Knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence, and intelligence doesn't always mean there's common sense in use.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:17 AM

Damn! Glad everyone is OK. What did it sound like?
DuaneS likes this.

Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 AM

Garage
Probably sounded like an explosion!
Very fortunate no fire, many houses here in Atlanta burn from a lightning strike.
Whole house surge protector is good for transients on power line.
It was overwhelmed in this situation.
About everything that was plugged into an outlet is probably dead.
A major telco office shut down after a direct lightning strike a few years ago.
DuaneS, RBS and SeaSteve like this.

2005 1300c Red, Mustang seat, HK 2.5 straights. Leds for safety-front & back. 180,596 miles of smiles

Last edited by Hans&Feet; 05-16-2017 at 07:50 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike View Post
No surge protector will ever protect a lightning strike. It is what it says: Surge protector. Not Lightning protector. Designed to protect from a voltage spike coming from the power company. Glad you're ok. Damage can be fixed. Be glad you have a house.
DuaneS likes this.

'05 Honda VTX 1300R Champion trike Kit. Mustang Seats and Backrests, Kuryakyn ISO grips, pegs, floorboards, shifter and brake peddle. Universal passenger arm rests, Wolo horn, Shark 600 watt stereo, Vista cruise, Cup holder, GPS. Lots of chrome.

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/keywasted-1912477
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:39 AM

I got hit a few years ago, blew the 220 well pump CB out through the panel and across the basement floor, burned the insulation off the well pump wires and followed the wires down 480' to the pump. Nothing else touched, guess it just wanted a good ground connection.

05 1300R -sadly sold 04 BMW K1200LT - Luxury Tourer, smooth efficient quiet power,sporty mile eater 05 BMW F650GS - rugged and elegant adventure tourer, does it all well, high speedcruising to rough dirt roads
IBA: SS1000,SS2000, SS3000, BBG1500, 50CC, UCC, LGL1000, 4 Corners
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:01 AM

Years ago I was at dads under the car port.lightning hit a big elm tree and traveled thru a root under the car port and exploded the concrete .knocked me down and out.when I woke up they said I had smoke coming off my body after the hit. No problems just real sore all over and my feet were burnt ,ears ringing.
Harddrive56 likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 AM

Garage
I'm a little surprised that the house didn't have any lightning rods on the roof to direct any strikes direct to ground, or at the very least a lightning arrester on the lines going into the house, avoiding this kind of problem. Most do, at least here where I live. If your area doesn't, you might want to install one or two, usually at the highest peak of the roof, at least one on either end of the house, which runs a thick wire straight down the side of the house to a stake at least 3 feet into the ground, probably more, and the stake should be slightly away from the house, though mine is really close.

Still, glad you or anyone else in your house got hurt from it! Big Praise, there!!

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke,
tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Pope "papa" of the VTXOA

All homes here in IL have to have an 8ft copper ground stake. This is probably why we didn't have more damage. My thinking anyway.

AMA Life Member 721314

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page