post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to danater
Electronic cruise control 250-1223

Mounting of the 250-1223 Fully Electronic Cruise Control by Rostra

Things you will need for this install

250-1223 module
250-3593 dash switch
250-4369 splitter
4 foot of 14 gauge stranded wire. I chose green (cause im cheap and didnt wanna buy brown) to continue the brown from the power connection
rosin core solder
various electrical connectors
5 foot of 3/8 corrugated tubing
15 zip ties, 3 zip ties
shrink wrap for all electrical connections, black tape for the others
2 u bolts with 4 lock nuts (these fit over the swing arm so buy accordingly
Throttle cable mount
  1. remove the battery, the battery box, pull your headlamp, remove the gas tank.
    ( picture 1 &nbsp
  2. Put the 2 u bolts with threads going down on the cross member in front of the rear tire. Snug up the cross plates that come with the U bolts. Leave about a 1/4 from the bottom of the cross member. ( picture 2 &nbsp
  3. The kit comes with 2 options to mount the servo, an L shaped bracket and a black bracket. Get the L shaped bracket and mount the straight side toward the side of the module with the wires coming out.
    ( picture 3 &nbsp
  4. Make sure to set your dip switches now, as getting the module off is a rather annoying prospect just to change 1 switch. So here is the list
    1. on
    2. off
    3. off
    4. on
    5. on
    6. on
    7. on
    8. off
    9. off
    10. on
    11. off
    12. off
  5. With a u bolt on each side of the swing arm and the provided. There is enough slack to allow for the servo to be slipped into place. Start with the left side first, slide the bracket in far enough to allow for the other end of the L bracket to be slid into place. Once in place, tighten down the U bolts and make sure the lock nuts are in place and tight. I suggest putting blue lock-tight on any nuts.
  6. Ok to keep things straight here, pull the wires from the servo straight out and worry about them later.
  7. Route the throttle cable up and along the backbone of the bike. ( picture 4 &nbsp I chose to mount the cable just under the backbone about 3 inches in front of the rear coil. Make sure the cable is directly across from the throttle cables. I mounted my throttle cable with the 2 nuts provided and the throttle cable mount. Make threads 1 with 1 nut, put the mount on, and tighten the second nut down to snug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN bad things can happen! ( picture 5 &nbsp
  8. The kit comes with 5 or more different connections. Get the wire loop and put it on with the throttle spring holding it in position. ( Picture 6 &nbsp On page 10 of the manual it shows how to connect the bead chain connectors and the lengths needed to make the control work properly. Make sure to follow the directions given, as it makes a large difference in how well the cruise control works.
  9. Now for the fun part. Wiring the beast to your beast.
  10. There are only 6 wires taken to the headlight. The 4 pin connector, the black and the grey wire. The 4 pin connector has a power connection that is connected to a 4 amp fuse. Cut the 4 amp fuse holder off, strip, solder and shrink wrap the extra wire to the one that you just cut off. There are 2 plug connectors, cut the one off that does not have the red, black, yellow and green. Cut the wires about 2 behind the plug. The grey wire will need to be soldered, wrapped and taken forward with the 4 pin connector. The wires that were cut will be connected to the bike under the seat. I do not like messy wires so I sheathed everything in 3/8 corrugated wire wrap. Use small zip ties and black tape to keep the ends closed and were you pull a wire out to connect it, use black tape to keep the wrap closed. I also chose to solder every connection. Do a section at a time and go over it twice to make sure its right before you make the change permanent. (the power connection from the 12v+ connection, 4 pin connector wires, and the black ground wire) ( picture 7 &nbsp * note my picture shows 2 green wires. the dark green wire would be the optional color you chose as the power to the 4 pin connector, the dark green is connected to the red for reference. I also couldn't salvage my grey wire so I replaced it with a brown one.
  11. Wiring under the seat.
    1. Black → ground wire, connect to the ground by the brake manifold
    2. Brown → power wire, connect to the external fuse block
    3. Red → power wire, connect to the brown wire
    4. Violet → brake wire, connect to the green w/ yellow stripe by the fuse block (original)
    5. Blue → tachometer wire, connect to the rear coil, outside plug
  12. Wiring in the headlight
    1. Splitter wiring
      1. Yellow → grey from the harness
      2. Black → ground
      3. Green → pink with green stripe
      4. Red → brown from the 4 pin connector
    2. Dash switch
      1. Connect the 4 pin connector
      2. White → brown from the 4 pin connector
      3. Black → ground
      4. Grey (from the dash switch) → power connector, connect to the red from the 4 pin
  13. Test all your connections. If you have a helping hand its a good thing. Use the self diagnostics mode. The manual will tell you how to get into that mode( page 20). The switch I'm using is an open circuit control switch.
  14. If everything checks out, go for a ride and enjoy your new Cruise control
Thanks to Fast600 for making my life ALOT easier with the dip settings and wire colors. Man u rock!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R
HID headlight, psycho accent lights, how to section has a cruise control
Something Something Something DARKSIDE michelin hydroedge 205/65 R16
sent from my R2D2 unit on TATOOINE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danater View Post

Things you will need for this install

250-1223 module
250-3593 dash switch
250-4369 splitter
4 foot of 14 gauge stranded wire. I chose green (cause im cheap and didnt wanna buy brown) to continue the brown from the power connection
rosin core solder
various electrical connectors
5 foot of 3/8 corrugated tubing
15 zip ties, 3 zip ties
shrink wrap for all electrical connections, black tape for the others
2 u bolts with 4 lock nuts (these fit over the swing arm so buy accordingly

1. remove the battery, the battery box, pull your headlamp, remove the gas tank.
  2. Put the 2 u bolts with threads going down on the cross member in front of the rear tire. Snug up the cross plates that come with the U bolts. Leave about a 1/4 from the bottom of the cross member.
  3. The kit comes with 2 options to mount the servo, an L shaped bracket and a black bracket. Get the L shaped bracket and mount the straight side toward the side of the module with the wires coming out.
  4. Make sure to set your dip switches now, as getting the module off is a rather annoying prospect just to change 1 switch. So here is the list
    1. on
    2. off
    3. off
    4. on
    5. on
    6. on
    7. on
    8. off
    9. off
    10. on
    11. off
    12. off
  5. With a u bolt on each side of the swing arm and the provided. There is enough slack to allow for the servo to be slipped into place. Start with the left side first, slide the bracket in far enough to allow for the other end of the L bracket to be slid into place. Once in place, tighten down the U bolts and make sure the lock nuts are in place and tight. I suggest putting blue lock-tight on any nuts.
  6. Ok to keep things straight here, pull the wires from the servo straight out and worry about them later.
  7. Route the throttle cable up and along the backbone of the bike. I chose to mount the cable just under the backbone about 3 inches in front of the rear coil. Make sure the cable is directly across from the throttle cables. I mounted my throttle cable with the 2 nuts provided and the throttle cable mount. Make threads 1 with 1 nut, put the mount on, and tighten the second nut down to snug. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN bad things can happen!
  8. The kit comes with 5 or more different connections. Get the wire loop and put it on with the throttle spring holding it in position. On page 10 of the manual it shows how to connect the bead chain connectors and the lengths needed to make the control work properly. Make sure to follow the directions given, as it makes a large difference in how well the cruise control works.
  9. Now for the fun part. Wiring the beast to your beast.
  10. There are only 6 wires taken to the headlight. The 4 pin connector, the black and the grey wire. The 4 pin connector has a power connection that is connected to a 4 amp fuse. Cut the 4 amp fuse holder off, strip, solder and shrink wrap the extra wire to the one that you just cut off. There are 2 plug connectors, cut the one off that does not have the red, black, yellow and green. Cut the wires about 2 behind the plug. The grey wire will need to be soldered, wrapped and taken forward with the 4 pin connector. The wires that were cut will be connected to the bike under the seat. I do not like messy wires so I sheathed everything in 3/8 corrugated wire wrap. Use small zip ties and black tape to keep the ends closed and were you pull a wire out to connect it, use black tape to keep the wrap closed. I also chose to solder every connection. Do a section at a time and go over it twice to make sure its right before you make the change permanent. (the power connection from the 12v+ connection, 4 pin connector wires, and the black ground wire) * note my picture shows 2 green wires. the dark green wire would be the optional color you chose as the power to the 4 pin connector, the dark green is connected to the red for reference. I also couldn't salvage my grey wire so I replaced it with a brown one.
  11. Wiring under the seat.
    4. Violet → brake wire, connect to the green w/ yellow stripe by the fuse block (original)
  12. Wiring in the headlight
    1. Splitter wiring
      2. Black → ground
    2. Dash switch
      1. Connect the 4 pin connector
      2. White → brown from the 4 pin connector
      3. Black → ground
      4. Grey (from the dash switch) → power connector, connect to the red from the 4 pin
  13. Test all your connections. If you have a helping hand its a good thing. Use the self diagnostics mode. The manual will tell you how to get into that mode( page 20). The switch I'm using is an open circuit control switch.
  14. If everything checks out, go for a ride and enjoy your new Cruise control
Thanks to Fast600 for making my life ALOT easier with the dip settings and wire colors. Man u rock!
Awesome, thank you!

-Richard
05 1800F/N - the goodies keep getting better...
I walk on water

CLICK here for Darkside Forum
DS -01/06/07
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danater View Post

Your Welcome!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad's Junk 004.jpg (53.0 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg Dad's Junk 005.jpg (40.0 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg Dad's Junk 006.jpg (35.7 KB, 618 views)
File Type: jpg Dad's Junk 008.jpg (47.0 KB, 656 views)

2003 1800 C
There's No Substitute For BIG JUGS!!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin Jimmy J View Post
Excellent write up I am preparing to do this install on my 06 1800 C and had a question. In the headlight wiring, for the splitter, you call for the green wire of the splitter to connect to a pink wire with a green stripe. Where does this pink with green stripe come from and what is its function?

Thank You
Jim
Wiring in the headlight
  1. Splitter wiring
    2. Black → ground
the pink with green stripe is from the main harness, iir its the speedometer connecting wire.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 11:21 AM

I'm sorry if I am a little thick on this, but I have one more wiring question. in your write up you stated:

"There are only 6 wires taken to the headlight. The 4 pin connector, the black and the Grey wire."

Then in the "Wiring in the headlight" you wrote:

7. Wiring in the headlight

1. Splitter wiring
  1. Yellow Grey from the harness
  2. Black ground
  3. Green pink with green stripe
  4. Red brown from the 4 pin connector
Where does this Brown wire come from?

Thanks
Jim
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

1. Wiring under the seat.
basically I ran a power wire all the way up front as I have an external fuse block. just in case something goes haywire. the power wire that I ran up front just happened to be brown to match the power wire for the main servo connection. since the connector up front (4 pin connector) has a red wire that leeches power, I connected the brown to the red and have used the brown as my power up front, and the red for normal connections

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

alright thanks to danny lewis who was nice enough to take the time and talk on the phone the wiring and all. and then coming up with this diagram to make things easier.

http://s610.photobucket.com/albums/t...ruise_wire.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:26 AM

08 1800N exception

1st GREAT write up, 2nd THANKS to Danater for the phone help.
What I found on the 08 1800N you will need to add a 5 position relay. I used Duralast part # 19387. ($18.00 at Auto Zone)
This is how I have it wired and according to the Global Cruise instructions.

Pin 85 -COLD side of brake (spliced in) to the green w/ yellow stripe by the fuse block. Behind right side cover
Pin 86 & 30 - to GROUND
Pin 87a - connects to the Violet wire from the main module.
The cold side has 6 volts on it. So the cruise does not kick off without the relay.

Papa T
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM

Dash Switch

Danater, Did you ever map the inside of the switch? Are we looking at some straight up fixed resistors and switches. I would like to make a nicer looking switch and housing.

Just a guy named Dan reliving his childhood on a 800 lb Gorilla Bike!
2008 VTX 1800 F, VH Bigshots with Big City Thunder Baffles, Thunder Hurricane, PCIII, Desmog, ISO Grips w Throttle Boss, Mustang Seats, Kuryakyn Ergo Engine Guards w Silver Bullet Driving Lights, MTC Clutch, Dual AEM Wideband AF Meters, WOLO Horn, Rostra Electronic Cruise Control.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigmaford View Post
Danater, Did you ever map the inside of the switch? Are we looking at some straight up fixed resistors and switches. I would like to make a nicer looking switch and housing.
I did but my splitter quit soon after I got the schematic drawn up for what I wanted. So all my energy has been turned to fixing that problem.
I think I found a fundamental flaw so im re-engineering the splitter to fix what I would call a problem and also to fix my fi #11 problem.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Canyon, tx
2003 VTX 1800R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page