West Coast Trip - Page 2 - VTXOA
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokerb View Post
Thx for the input. When is the best time to both way to both avoid the larger crowds and the snow
After Labor Day!! LOL. Seriously, the 1st couple of weeks in Sept. weather is generally mild and crowds are gone with kids back in school. Keep in mind that weather can change in a heartbeat so come prepared. You may get some afternoon thunder showers but they generally don't last too long.

VTXOA 'Members Who Can Help' Map<<---ClicHere
PGR RC, 2010 GL 1800, DS#1146, 04VTX 1300C
AKA "Pooch" IBA#55800 SS1Kx2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 06:42 PM

If you end up riding through Colorado I HIGHLY recommend the Million Dollar Hwy. You will never forget it and want to come back and ride it again.
U.S. Route 550 is a spur of U.S. Highway 50 that runs from Bernalillo, New Mexico to Montrose, Colorado in the western United States. The section from Silverton to Ouray.

Some of Colorado's most beautiful scenery and twisties.
drtrider and djoyner like this.

"It's too bad we live in a world where Common Sense is considered a Super Power"
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAW 923 View Post
If you end up riding through Colorado I HIGHLY recommend the Million Dollar Hwy. You will never forget it and want to come back and ride it again.
U.S. Route 550 is a spur of U.S. Highway 50 that runs from Bernalillo, New Mexico to Montrose, Colorado in the western United States. The section from Silverton to Ouray.

Some of Colorado's most beautiful scenery and twisties.
Yes very nice as we did all that in a cage a few years ago. Also Telluride was something to see.

2003 c cobra floorboards-memphis windshield-roadhouse shorty

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrider View Post
Yes very nice as we did all that in a cage a few years ago. Also Telluride was something to see.
It is gorgeous there. I plan on taking my Jeep Rubicon there after all this dang snow melts! Ride safe and ride hard. Loose the watch and just enjoy the ride not just getting to the destination.

"It's too bad we live in a world where Common Sense is considered a Super Power"
2006 Honda VTX 1800C
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 12:09 AM

If you do make it to Telluride, stop at Mountain Village and ride the tram(FREE!) up and over the mountain down into Telluride, the parking in town is limited and expensive. I guarantee you''ll enjoy it!

VTXOA 'Members Who Can Help' Map<<---ClicHere
PGR RC, 2010 GL 1800, DS#1146, 04VTX 1300C
AKA "Pooch" IBA#55800 SS1Kx2, SS2K,BB1500,BBGold Certified
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 05:08 PM

I took a similar ride last summer but didn't go Yellowstone area, stopped at Sturgis then headed back towards Fla. If you go south through Utah there are some great riding roads there also. And there is Arches, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. Plus straight south of Zion is the Grand Canyon. And if you head south from there through N. Mex into Tex, the river road from Presidio to Terlingua and then Big Bend National Park are all pretty awesome too. Overall I spent 2 1/2 months on the road camping at various places, more than 11,500 miles and visited 17 staes on the way to Sturgis and back to Fla. and had a blast!! Ready to do it again!

I will say dress for cold weather because even in July in S. Dakota it got down in the high 30s and low 40s at night, plus got caught in a few hail storms there.

Dan
djoyner likes this.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/soonernomo/CAM00074_zps18241eb3.jpg

'07 1800N, Leather Lyke bags, Kumho Ecsta 195/60-16 tire, MCHitch trailer hitch, Cycle Mate CM2000 trailer
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input so far. Based on what I have found and places everyone has told me about there may have to be a second trip at a later date. I had no idea Utah had so much to see. I have been to Sturgis twice but am the only one on our group that has been. In fact on my second trip it hailed the day after we left. Right now we are planning to go the first couple of weeks in September so hopefully it will not be as crowded and the snow will not be closing roads. We do enjoy riding the back roads so we will not cover as many miles but will see more of what is really out there. Camping some is one of the things I am really looking froward to as well. As suggested we will probably stay at Pine Mountain hotel in East Glacier. We called them and think that is the way we will go. Plan to ride the Million Dollar Hwy and Bear Tooth Hwy. Had never heard of either before so thanks guys for the tip. If at all possible we plan to hit southeastern Utah as well but like I said there is so much to see. We may have to plan a second trip to that area and include Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam and Las Vegas. Again thanks for the input as planning for the trip is part of the fun.
Keep the info coming and suggestions as well. As a side note this message board is one of the positive things about owning a VTX. Thanks again

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Everyone has the time off for the first two weeks of September next year for our trip. There are four of us so we hope nothing happens so we can all go. Would like some input on a couple of questions. It is pretty obvious we will not get to see and do everything in two weeks. We had originally planned to go to Glacier and Yellowstone but do not want to be in a hurry the entire time so we can just enjoy the ride. Planning 3 days to Sturgis (1650 miles) then one day in Sturgis. Take 2 days for 700 miles to Glacier would put us there Friday night. Saturday and Sunday in Glacier. That would leave us 1 400 mile day to get to Yellowstone with 5 days and 2000 miles to get home. Sounds like we might be a bit rushed for my taste. Don't mind 500-600 mile days out and back but not while we are there. With that being said if we have to do Glacier or Yellowstone which is the best. HAve bed told the Beartooth Highway is the best road for scenery bar none anywhere. Also would like some input on the plan as we have never done a trip this long before. Just want it to be relaxed and fun once we get out to Sturgis and beyond.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page