Honda VTX Forum banner

End of May trip to the Adirondack area - Any advice

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jammerwalker 
#1 ·
Hey folks

Me and a couple buddies are doing a trip into the Adirondack region and are totally unfamiliar with the area. (part of the fun)

Looking for any advice on good routes, accommodations, shops worth a visit, shops to avoid etc.

Any and all advice is welcome. We are crossing in from Canada near at Ogdensburg NY.

Thanks

#2 ·
Wife and I caged it through there some years ago, coming into NY from Burlington via the Champlain ferry. Lake Placid, Saranac Lake area is beautiful. From there we went south, bypassing Ft. Ticonderoga, and stopping for a nt. @ Lake George. All pretty great scenery. Then continued through Schenectady, Binghampton, and back to Pa. If in the S-SW of NY, the Finger Lakes are a must-see too. That was a different vacation.

#3 · (Edited)
Enjoy is my best advice. I rode up there in September '14. I don't believe you can pick a bad ride. It was wet & foggy when I went through Lake Placid area so didn't go up White Face Mountain. I was limited on time so I didn't get to enjoy some of the local places to eat but I did enjoy the ridding.

I left out of Rome early in the day then I picked some roads that looked good on the map. After Rome I picked up 28, then 30 to Tupper Lake, and 3 to Saranac Lake. I sort of wondered around in that part but ended up at Lake Placid. From there I took some interesting roads that lead me to I-87. Lake Champlain is a good place to visit and as I recall there is some good camping there if you are camping.

I was up there as a young child, 6 or 7, and I always wanted to go back. So this time I just picked some roads that looked interesting. All of them were.

I ended up taking US 11 near the Canadian border and the NY/VT line into Vermont. If you end up in norther Vermont go to St. Albans. It is a great place. The people are friendly. There is a very good place to eat on main street near the Chamber of Commerce office, same place it was in 1975. It is called Twiggs American Gastropub.

I was in St. Albans in 1975 as a young man and again in '14. I swear it has not changed much except the trees are bigger and it is a little larger. St. Albans is the farthest north any Confederate troops went during our Civil War. They came in from your country to rob 3 banks as the Confederates needed money. They were caught not far north of there. After the war they became buddies with the locals. In September they have a reenactment of the event.

Last May The Wife and daughter and I went back up in the mini van. I took them on some of the same roads but some new ones also. I do remember a Comfort Inn we stayed at in Lake George. The owners are brothers and great guys. The place has the largest indoor hotel pool I have ever seen outside of Las Vegas. Their price was reasonable for the area. Upon the owners recommendation we ate at some Italian place not far from the hotel, great food and service.

Enjoy

#4 ·
#5 ·
My cousin has a place there in Indian Lake and we spent many a US Thanksgiving there when I was a kid. Great area, tons of deer and bear. Mountains are gorgeous in the Fall, good riding everywhere. Very small towns lots of independent stores. It's what comes to mind when I think of small town America.

#7 ·
Hi if you are planning a end of may trip June 8 to 14 the best touring rally is Americade in lake George NY it is by far something everyone should experience all brands will be there to let you try there bikes it's all about touring not drinking or roudy look it up on computer ho]e to see u there

#9 ·
Agree with everyone so far. Lake Placid and Lake George are just beautiful! Shouldn't miss those, especially if you can be in Lake George during Americade. Otherwise, just about anywhere is gorgeous scenery and nice winding roads in those mountains. I'll never forget traveling through from Syracuse up toward Lake George on little two-lane back roads during the night, and seeing what looked like a person far off in the distance in the sparse street lights, only to have them 'disappear' when they were about to come out into the next street light, and my headlights hit where they should have been! :surprise: Right up until then, I had been getting pretty sleepy, but NOT after THAT!! Still can't remember what little town that was close to, either.

If you go further west, like south of Rochester, don't miss the Corning glass factory. If you have the time, you can even make your own glass bead or flower. My wife and son and I did that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.