Heading to the Dragon in October - Page 2 - VTXOA
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:54 AM

Some places around the Dragon aren't open in late spring. We stayed @ 2 Wheel end of March coming back from Fla., and there was only one other couple there besides us. The hrs. for the souvenir stops at the end of the Dragon also vary.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDANA View Post
What's the best way to experience the Tail of the Dragon?
Maybe this link could be helpful, there are also reviews linked to it....

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/41....aKYiWTVf.dpbs
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 AM

Robbinsville,NC. is where we usually stay. Some good places to eat and drink and there is a Microtel there that is motorcycle friendly and the rates are very reasonable. By all means "Ride the Dragon" but the real beauty of motorcycling in the Smoky Mountains is in the long sweeping curves and the views of the Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Most of the hotels and visitor centers have motorcycling maps of Tennessee and North Carolina with dozens, if not hundreds of day trips and loops. Like others have said, ride "The Dragon" at your pace. There will be sport bikes that ride your butt, so just ignore them and they will pass. Don't try to out-think them as most are good riders and will watch for you. Have fun and ride safe.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is there a place close by at the TN top side where I can park the truck and trailer while we ride the Dragon?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:19 PM

I believe, but someone can confirm/ deny, that along Rt. 72, between Rt. 411 & the Tenn./ NC line , there are camping grounds for Tellico Lake that you may find what you look for.

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've got my little trailer ready to roll except for making the steel to hold the gate at an angle. The bike is a tad long to shut it vertical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160911_120200_resized.jpg (408.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20160911_142428_resized.jpg (385.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20160910_125717_resized.jpg (487.9 KB, 14 views)
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:16 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=Curt E;4064186]The Dragon is on my to do list. Hope to go early spring.
ME TOO!!!!!
Curt E likes this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21" Windshield, Kury Engine Bars & Foot Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Mean City Cycles Seat, Cobra Slash-Cut Pipes, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Show Chrome Front Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:28 AM

Garage
Then I'll go next weekend..
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:47 AM

We get frost here until June most years.... be safe.

"I thought I was wrong once, turned out I was mistaken..."
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:55 PM

Dragon parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDANA View Post
Is there a place close by at the TN top side where I can park the truck and trailer while we ride the Dragon?
At the Tn. end there is lots of parking along the lake. LOTS of parking and never crowded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page