Let's install a clutch - Page 2 - VTXOA
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

OK , good to know , thanks everyone.
Since I use Amsoil I'm guessing I need to soak them in same?

Livin' Blue in a Red state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 05:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkvtx View Post
OK , good to know , thanks everyone.
Since I use Amsoil I'm guessing I need to soak them in same?
No need to use the spendy oil. Just any cheap oil will work fine, just keeping to the same JASO-MA requirements (no energy conserving - no 'friction reducers')
I used a bit of generic Napa oil that was cheap - I run Amsoil in the crankcase, too.

'07 VTX 1800F spec 3
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
One of the guys that was kicked off here is coming by to lend a hand. If anyone else wants to drop by feel free. I'll be tackling the job this Saturday 9/24 at my place.
nate6966 likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:59 PM

Also, if you have a half used bottle of ATF laying around you can soak in that. It'll all wash out when you first run it, and the amount that stays in the engine is negligible. But yeah, in general, any cheap (non energy conserving) motor oil will work for a first soak.
nate6966 likes this.

'12 Road Glide Ultra, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Screamin' Eagle Fatshotz slip-ons, V&H Dresser Duals, PV Tuner, NDana HID kits
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Well got the new clutches installed with new bolts and springs too. Went pretty smoothly. Hardest part was getting the case off. That took a little more persuasion than I thought it would but once the seal was broken it came right off. So far so good. I haven't ridden much since I got them in but from I can tell it's a pretty substantial improvement over the old clutch. Grabs so much better and pulls like a team of mules now. No slips and no oil leaks that I can tell so we must've don't it right. I'll keep an eye on the new seal on the case for a little while to make sure there are no leaks but I'm pretty sure I'm ok.
Shout out to Matt for coming by to lend a hand too. Always good to see him and we got everything apart and back together in about 3 hours. Could've done it less time but we weren't in any big hurry , taking our time and trying to do it right. On a scale of 1 to 10 for difficulty I'd give this about a 5. Really straightforward and thanks again to Chief for the excellent write up. Sorry I don't have any pics but both of us had pretty oily hands throughout the process and didn't stop to make any pics.
Thanks again to everyone here to posted up tips and advice. If you're thinking about doing this but haven't pulled the trigger yet, go ahead and get it done. It's not hard, actually easier than doing a valve adjustment. Another pair of hands helps though, especially when R&R the pipes and getting the case off. But it can be done solo without much problem.
beachbumdrl, nate6966 and frnkcat like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page