2016 Misadventure - VTXOA
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By leroys73

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

2016 Misadventure

This 3 week trip was to be the last long distance trip on my VTX as it is getting a bit long in the tooth with over 120,000 miles on it. Having already ridden it to 49 states including DC I had planned for this trip to add the last four Canadian Provinces with paved roads by riding to the Maritime Provinces including Newfoundland and Labrador (requiring trips on ferries).

All plans were made including ferry reservations. My route to Canada and while in Canada was well planned. This plan was well executed until the afternoon of the 6th day.

I left at the planned 0500 on 8/8 with a 1200 mile ride in 19 hours to Lexington, VA. This qualified me for another IBA Saddle Sore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours). All went as planned even with light rain.

The next day I met an old, yes we are old, college buddy I have only seen once 1968 although we have communicated over the years. This was a great visit with plenty of BS and failed memories. Then it was on to Scranton, PA to finish an IBA Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles in 36 hrs) with more rain off and on.

Day three I woke up with the sh**s. So this delayed me over an hour. I just hoped they did not come back. Traffic and construction was terrible plus it was raining so rain gear was required. I planned to stay in a rustic cabin and enjoy a camp fire in central Maine this night. It was almost dark, I was tired, and I was 60 miles away from the reservation. I called it quits and checked into a hotel in Bangor, Maine, good call.

Day 4 was beautiful. I was away from interstates (they wear me out) and cities, riding on Maine 11. This would take me to Fort Kent and the beginning of US 1. Highway 11 was a good relaxing ride with great scenery.

By mid day I arrived at Madawaska, Maine. It is the most northeastern town in the US. It is part of the Four Corners Tour. I may do it another time. Soon after leaving Madawaska I picked up US 1A which hugs the US-Canadian border.

After crossing into Canada on highway 110 with a minor search at the border I proceeded to Hartford, New Brunswick. I had to cross the longest covered bridge in the world just to say I did. Then it was to the Canadian super slab to Fredericton for the night.

On day 5 I wanted to get as close to the ferry terminal to Newfoundland as possible. The rain became heavy in Nova Scotia so a stop at the information center and putting on rain gear was required. Visibility was terrible at times and hydroplaning was a constant threat.

The rain let up enough for me to enjoy crossing the 12 mile bridge to Prince Edward Island, look around the island for a short time (been there before), and return to Nova Scotia. By now I was needing a place to sleep. I had planned to camp but at my age I am not camping in the wet if I don't have to. I found a neat, clean, older motel with nice older cabins and a view plus only two hours from the ferry.

I signed up for two nights with plans of riding the Cabot Trail then returning to the cabin for a relaxing night on the porch with a few adult beverages. I would still have a day before I had to catch the ferry.

I awoke the next morning, Saturday the 6th day, to a beautiful day. It was a perfect riding day. Most of my luggage was in my cabin so I was traveling sort of light for the day. I did have on the appropriate safety gear on and my never used emergency tools.

I headed off riding up the coast on highway 19 for Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. All went well. I ate my first lobster roll for lunch while watching the waves roll in. I even successfully rode up the extremely terrible, rutted out, mostly dirt road to Meet Cove (northern most point in Nova Scotia) and back. It is the worst road I have ever ridden my VTX on. I asked myself why. There was a nice view. But never again unless I am in a 4X4 or on a dual sport.

I then finished up the Cabot Trail with one last picture of the coast. I decided to enter a scenic pull out for the last picture. As I was stopping I hit a deep pot hole at the edge of the pavement that I did not see. My dear motorcycle fell on my leg. The two bones between my knee and ankle in my left leg were broken. VTX was good.

The Canadian Mounty behind me saw it all. He said it was the pot hole that did me in. I am sure the transition from pavement to gravel was a factor. I got my first ambulance ride and first broken bone. Not bad for almost 68 years old and a history of crazy adventures.

It was a pretty standard break of the two bones (no real complications) with a rod to fix. My care at the hospital in Sydney was very good. My surgeon is rated one of the best. The EMTs wanted to cut my boot and jeans off. I said no way the Gore-Tex SIDI boots are $400 and the Kevlar jeans are $200, I'll take the pain. I am glad I did as I ended up at the hospital with only the clothes I had on and my luggage two hours away.

I have Med Jet evacuation insurance. I had surgery in Sydney but the hospital at home was too slow on paper work to accept me. By that time I was suppose to be dismissed from the hospital. So Med Jet could not evacuate me. It was not Med Jet's fault. However, when I took out the Med Jet there was a $35 box to check to insure the motorcycle so it could be sent home. I checked the box.

A fellow who lives near where I broke my leg took care of my VTX. He also came by the hospital, drove the 4 hours round trip to get my luggage and UPS'ed it to my home. All he wanted was fuel expenses and of course I paid for UPS. I gave him plenty extra to cover his time. He visited me one more time in the hospital and has called me at home twice. Great guy!

I hated to leave the excellent care I was getting at the hospital. Plus I knew I would miss the cute nurses. I had to spend 4 nights in a local hotel as all the fights were full from Sydney to Dallas. That turned out good as by the time I left the hotel most of the swelling was gone and the worry of blood clots was pretty much over. My trip home was good.

Those Canadians were extremely good to me. The EMTs, emergency room folks, my surgeon, the nurses, physical therapy folks, and there was even a social worker there to help me make arrangements to get back home. I had to use two cabs while there. The cab drivers treated me great too.

I gotta love those Canadians.

My leg is healing well. My luggage is back home and my motorcycle is on its journey home.

I did not get to finish my goal of my VTX taking me to all paved provinces but I can say it has taken me to all US States and Canadian Provinces a person can travel to by paved roads without using a boat or plane.

I am still going to retire the VTX for the long distance touring but I will keep it for regional rides. I have a Yamaha Royal Star Venture S that was 6 months old with 650 miles on it when I bought it last October. I will be using it for the long distance stuff after my leg heals.

I still like the VTX better.

Sorry no pictures, I haven't unpacked my stuff yet.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm68 rode to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 127k on my '07 Black Cherry VTX1300R w/aux tank, Race Tech Gold F&R,Mean City Cycle, Motolights, Glen's Light Bar w Rivco H-4 aux headlights w/SS Utra bulbs,Radiantz LEDs,Baron tach,Marlin therm&clock, PowerLet,Break-A-Way,K&N, IBA: 2xSS2000,12xSS1000,4xBB1500,2TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour

Last edited by leroys73; 09-19-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:37 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear of what was likely an extremely painful event. Glad it ended well. Despite the jokes some make at their expense, I've never met a PITA Canadian. They've always been top-notch and great people.

Impressive riding experiences you must've had! I can only hope to one day see so much of this continent on two wheels!

Get well soon!

'07 VTX 1800F spec 3
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:56 PM

Sorry your trip got cut short. Heal quick and fully.

When/if you get a chance to re-read your post, please fill me in on what was intended here... just curious.

"standard break of the two bones with a rod to fixMy care at the hospital in Sydney was very good. My surgeon is rated one of the best. It was a pretty it."

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:56 PM

Garage
That's an impressive story,,,, especially at 68. I'd be proud of that story if I was 40!!!!
Glad you are OK and healing well. Also glad you are keeping the X.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21" Windshield, Kury Engine Bars & Foot Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Mean City Cycles Seat, Cobra Slash-Cut Pipes, Progressive 430 Shocks, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Show Chrome Front Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 03:09 PM

Cool

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you heal quickly. With all your riding I would like to know when you had time to write this book. LOL Get well soon and keep us posted.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dud-57 View Post
Sorry your trip got cut short. Heal quick and fully.

When/if you get a chance to re-read your post, please fill me in on what was intended here... just curious.

"standard break of the two bones with a rod to fixMy care at the hospital in Sydney was very good. My surgeon is rated one of the best. It was a pretty it."

That is easy, I screwed up and didn't catch it in my so called proof reading. Thanks for pointing it out. I think it is fixed now.

My VTX as used on Race Tech site.I'm68 rode to 49 States+DC & 11 Provinces, 127k on my '07 Black Cherry VTX1300R w/aux tank, Race Tech Gold F&R,Mean City Cycle, Motolights, Glen's Light Bar w Rivco H-4 aux headlights w/SS Utra bulbs,Radiantz LEDs,Baron tach,Marlin therm&clock, PowerLet,Break-A-Way,K&N, IBA: 2xSS2000,12xSS1000,4xBB1500,2TX1000,NPT 29/76; Lake Superior Circle Tour
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:03 PM

Loved the story, not so much your predicament and cut-short finish. Wife and I caged it across PEI bridge one side, ferry to Antigonish the other, and around the Cabot Trail, spent a nt. in Dingwall in a quaint motel, played 18 holes at Highland Links in Ingonish, and back to Truro at the neck of Fundy. We want to ferry one day back to Newfoundland and around it, and back to the states through N. Brunswick. We ferried over from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth. The CAT ferry isn't there anymore though. It saved a 540 mi. drive. Hope you recover fully and have a great follow-up trip!

2003 1800C Black w/ H-K 3", PC III, Hondaline w/s & backrest, XM sat. radio, MB 12" shocks, Progressive fr. spgs., Wolo, SPyKER mod, Glen's gas cap, Paladins, Drag Specialties Popsicle pegs, K-N, blackened engine, Kury RTB, mirrors & r. boards, blue LED's, Rivco tach & risers, LeatherLyke bags, backrest bag, w/s tri-pouch, desmog, pr. valve mod, grd. fix, Gen. Altimax RT43, Mich. Cmdr. II, Ult. Lowrider, Showchrome grips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page