Central Nebraska to Memphis TN? - VTXOA
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Central Nebraska to Memphis TN?

We live in Nebraska. My feonce has a conference in April in Memphis. So I'm planning on driving down to surprise her....and eat BBQ😉.
I just bought my first bike a couple of weeks ago. I'm kinda thinking about riding down. Its about 741 miles and 11 hrs 45 min. I'm being realistic (I hope). I think I get about 145 miles per 4.9gal. I know that means stopping about every hour to hour and a half. So about 14 hrs ride time...hard riding.
I've done many 12-16 hour drives on trips....is it going to be that much difference on the bike?
Can a vtx handle that kind of trip? Do they burn oil? Over heat? Have issues? I just changed plugs, oil, and differential fluid. The air filter will be changed next week. I'll have the tires looked at before I go, replaced if needed. The bike has 22k miles on it. Is there anything else I need to consider? Or should I just take the geo prism?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:24 AM

Figure on 50-60 moving avg.
Bike will not even no the difference between a 50 mile ride or a 1000 mile ride.

05 1300S 6901 miles at start 114600 now
03 1800 R 64100 at start 80500 now dyno results 97.55 HP 110.22 torque
80550 E4 front
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Garage
I would say, no. If this is your first bike you need to get some experience before you let out on an adventure. 750 miles in a day is a good ride. You will either live in the saddle or end up riding in at night, tired and wore down. I would say do it in a car, get a few thousand miles in on the bike and some 300-500 mile days before taking out....jmho

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Old Goat

Watch your back and pay attention to your surroundings....nice place to visit , but sometimes sucks living here....be safe

2006....1300R CBC,darkside,foots mod..
"Ive spoken my piece and counted to 3"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 PM

Start taking weekend trips now to get used to the mileage if you want to make that trip. 741 miles is a good hard day, you will need to leave early, but the US will be back on daylight savings time by then, so it will get dark later even though you will be travelling west to east. What kind of seat is on the bike? The X doesn't use oil unless there is a serious problem, and that kind of trip will be easy peasy for it. You don't say which bike you have, nor what year, but you can expect your butt, arms, shoulders and maybe hands to get sore unless you are used to it. Get a good pair of gloves and leather jacket (or a good riding jacket of some kind), a helmet, boots. When I take a longer trip I usually stop at 75 miles for a few minutes then stop at 150 for gas and bathroom. After doing that for a few times I will push myself, if I have a destination in mind. I did 12,000 miles on a 2 1/2 month camping trip in 2015, but never did more than 500 miles in any day.

See what you can do leading up to April and if you don't feel ready or comfortable then drive the car and save the bike trip for some other time.

Dan

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/soonernomo/CAM00074_zps18241eb3.jpg

'07 1800N, Leather Lyke bags, Kumho Ecsta 195/60-16 tire, MCHitch trailer hitch, Cycle Mate CM2000 trailer
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 PM

It can also be pretty rainy at that time of the year in this part of the country, be prepared for it if you try it, but I agree with the other answers, get some experience first!

I don't know (nor do I care) how many attended Trump's inauguration. But I can tell you exactly how many people attended Hillary's inauguration.

And that's the only number that really matters.

-- Unknown

"Darkside" 3/22/11 Yokohama Avid Touring S P205/60R16
2005 1800N2
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

All great advice. I've got a 04 1300s. Pretty stock. I bought a good (but kinda ugly&#128541 full helmet and a good heavy riding jacket and nice gloves. I hope to do the build up rides shortly. The weather is kinda hit and miss right now. I am currently swapping the ultra loud exhaust back to a semi stock set up.
A windshield is in the plans, along with saddle bags.
Thanks for all the input.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD View Post
It can also be pretty rainy at that time of the year in this part of the country, be prepared for it if you try it, but I agree with the other answers, get some experience first!
Yes, I did forget to mention a rain suit. You can get a set of Frog Toggs for pretty cheap and they are decent. Wal Mart sells them in the sporting goods dept. for somewhere in the area of $20 or so.

I think a windshield is a must on long distance rides, but to each his (or her) own. I've done both but since I put the fairing on the bike I'll never ride without one! LOL

Dan

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f242/soonernomo/CAM00074_zps18241eb3.jpg

'07 1800N, Leather Lyke bags, Kumho Ecsta 195/60-16 tire, MCHitch trailer hitch, Cycle Mate CM2000 trailer
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Garage
I agree with the folks on here - you should get some saddle time and build up your 'tolerance' on some shorter rides before tackling that ride. BUT,,,, you will give out LONG before the X will. These things are built to ride long & hard.
And,,,, in your first note, you said filling up about every 145 miles, which equaled 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours,,,,,, I'd be lagging so far behind, there would be no sense riding with you!!!!
Safe Travels.
beachbumdrl likes this.

2007 1800T, Memphis Shades 21" Windshield, Kury Engine Bars & Foot Pegs, HondaLine Light Bar, Mean City Cycles Seat, Cobra Slash-Cut Pipes, Progressive 430 Shocks, HondaLine Saddlebags, Iron Horse Tail Bag, Show Chrome Front Fender Rail, Color-Matched Radiator Housing, Kury Iso-Grips, Custom Breather Cover. GO TEAM DREW!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepjunky View Post
All great advice. I've got a 04 1300s. Pretty stock. I bought a good (but kinda ugly&#128541 full helmet and a good heavy riding jacket and nice gloves. I hope to do the build up rides shortly. The weather is kinda hit and miss right now. I am currently swapping the ultra loud exhaust back to a semi stock set up.
A windshield is in the plans, along with saddle bags.
Thanks for all the input.
The thing is this, no windshield and a few hundred miles in rain. Absolutely wore out....riding into an unfamiliar town. Dont get me wrong I love the long ride and I recommend it.....not for someone a month after buying their first bike. The first six months of ownership are the most dangerous for newbies. So much to learn about riding, a heavy bike, and yourself on that beast. READ, RIDE and study as much as possible.....ride safe = safe travels.
beachbumdrl likes this.

What you own is your own kingdom, What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power, What you live is your own story
In your head is the answer, Let it guide you along
Let your heart be the anchor, And the beat of your own song.......Neal Peart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VTXOA forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page