Honda VTX Forum banner

St Louis to Orlando FL

585 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  heffly 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of nice, easy, laid back ride down to Florida this summer. Of course, the cage route would be I-64, I-24, I-75... Nah. Too much "Big Road". I'm looking for a more scenic route, little, old towns with, Mom and Pop places to eat, off the beaten path nice little motels, NO Bates though ;) , maybe some hills and twistys, just for fun... Also, I'm not married to the "most direct" route. I can probably dedicate 8 days to the trip before I have to return to the "real world" :( It's about the journey, right? Not the destination... Any thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Consider the Dragon? Not the toughest road, but not easy either. Many riders have it on their bucket list. For a nearby place to stay, try the Two Wheel Motor Inn. Ea. rm. has an adjoining lockable bike storage pull-in. Other nearby scenic rides through the mountains incl. Cherahala Skyway, Moonshiner 28, several others going down through Ga.

#3 ·
google trip in Google Maps zip code to zip code. go to options and click on no highways and no tolls.

#4 ·
Some More Choices

From Pensacola you might consider dropping down to Apalachicola. You'll see some of Florida not many out of staters see. Big Daddy Dan Garlits Drag Racing Museum is in Ocala, FL. Also at Pensacola there is the Naval Air Museum, worth a stop.

Out of St. Louis you might work your way over to Land Between the Lakes in TN. A lot of interesting secondary roads in KY and TN. Of course Elvis in Memphis, TN and Tupelo, MS. There are several battlefields and other historical places all over TN and KY.

Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham plus Tuskegee Airmen Museum in Tuskegee, and Huntsville has space and rocket museum.

You have a lot of great choices and with that much time you can just wander around lost for a few days.

Reactions: rangers4u
#5 ·
We stayed a couple nights at 'Land Between The Lakes' in Ky. At the big Lodge. Very nice! Garlits' museum is worth the trip for a motorhead too.

#6 ·
What is your interest, motorcycles, twisty roads, lonely roads, fine eateries, history.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.