How do feel about a VTX 1300 after NOT riding for 20 yrs.? [Archive] - VTXOA

: How do feel about a VTX 1300 after NOT riding for 20 yrs.?

BadX
11-04-2004, 12:17 AM
First, I would highly recommend the MSF course for a nice refresher and a little discount on the bike insurance. It had been about 15 years that I last rode and it was a dirt bike but quickly picked up the X and have over 8k on her since April. I think the 1300 is the best balanced bike out there but my opinion may be a little biased :wink:

GA Rainman
11-04-2004, 12:21 AM
First, I would highly recommend the MSF course for a nice refresher and a little discount on the bike insurance. It had been about 15 years that I last rode and it was a dirt bike but quickly picked up the X and have over 8k on her since April. I think the 1300 is the best balanced bike out there but my opinion may be a little biased :wink:

What the heck is going on here with the board? Why is your post listed first and the real first post listed second? Apparently we've got a time zone issue with the board. Happened to me a little bit ago too.

Anthony8858
11-04-2004, 12:22 AM
At 46 years, I've decided to get back on a bike. I'm 5'11" 200lbs, and I intend to use the bike for weekend joy rides, and occassional 10 minute rides to work.
I live in Staten Island, NY, where there's typical local traffic, and lousy roads.

Do you feel that the 1300 is too much bike to start over?

I intend on taking the riding course.

Thanks.

11-04-2004, 12:33 AM
NOT AT ALL ANTHONY. IT WAS 20 YEARS FOR ME AS FAR AS RIDING A ROAD BIKE WENT.I FEEL I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE,AND WHERE YOU PLAN ON TAKING A RIDING COURSE I SEE NO PROBLEM. THE 1300 HAS PLENTY OF POWER AND WITH A FEW MODS HERE AND THERE IS A VERY COMFORTABLE RIDE FOR THE BUCKS.HOOPE THIS HELP AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE.....JACK

BadX
11-04-2004, 12:41 AM

What the heck is going on here with the board? Why is your post listed first and the real first post listed second? Apparently we've got a time zone issue with the board. Happened to me a little bit ago too.

:shock: dunno maybe the Bad X is starting to take over the board like it did me

matchstick
11-04-2004, 06:25 AM
Get the X !!! I hadnt been on a bike in over 20 yrs myself.I went slow took it easy and Iam lovin' it now.

eddiecohen
11-04-2004, 07:03 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head. If the time zone setting on the sender's PC is incorrect, the server adjusts the message time based on that, and sticks it ahead of everyone else.

Eddie

RichNY
11-04-2004, 07:30 AM
I was off a bike for 15 years and do not regret for a minute getting the 1300. Sure its bigger than what I had ridden in the past, but by getting used to it and taking it easy...it was fine. I have the 1300C. I am real glad I chose the 1300 over the 1800.

Anthony8858
11-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Question:

Does the extra 100lbs over let's say the....Aero 750 or Volusia 800 reduce the handling and stability in slow riding, or does it offer more stability, with a low center gravity?

vtx_pirate
11-04-2004, 08:32 AM
At 46 years, I've decided to get back on a bike. I'm 5'11" 200lbs, and I intend to use the bike for weekend joy rides, and occassional 10 minute rides to work.
I live in Staten Island, NY, where there's typical local traffic, and lousy roads.

I owned several bikes back in the 60's when I was in high school (yikes...showing my age) and rode a Ducati 200 during my Navy active duty in North Africa. Hadn't been on a bike since and that was 32 years ago. When my wife thought it would be fun to own a cruiser, I started looking at big bikes and it kinda scared me, but after several months of searching and scaring the wife that I would actually take her up on her offer, she secretly bought the VTX 1300 Retro for me and surprised me last Christmas Day.

My first ride around the block on this big monster was easy as pie. Now almost a year gone by and I have almost 7,000 miles and lots of accessories. Took the MSF course last January as a refresher and that made me feel lots more comfortable and much more safety aware.

The 1300 Retro is a very balanced bike for a novice or even someone that hasn't riden for years. That's why I picked the 1300 over the 1800....it was a bit heavier and seemed more top heavy.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

SSSSNAKE
11-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Anthony, I was off two wheels for 30+ years and came back on them with a 1300S. I also recommend the MSF Course. I bought the 1300 because I planned on riding with my bride of almost 35 years and planned on keeping it for quite a while. In not quite two years of riding I/WE have put 8000 miles on it. For someone who wasn't sure she would even ride with me,the wife has more than once been the one that suggested a ride or trip. All I can say is ride&practice,ride&practice and ride some more!

11-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey Anthony,

IMO No, to answer your question, it's not too big a bike for you.

I'm 47 yrs old, had not ridden for 27 years. Last ride was a 360 Honda back in college.

Well the mid-life crises bit me (and a good friend bought a bike) and so when I saw the 1300 Retro, I fell in love w/ it and bought it, took the advanced rider course and am loving it!!!

I'm 5'9" 170lbs and thought too that maybe it was more bike than I could handle. But after riding my buddies 1500 Kawasaki Meanstreak and test riding the 1300R, I knew I could handle it. It is a sweet riding bike, nice handling and plenty of power.

I would say GO FOR IT!! But do take the rider course, either the beginners or advanced, it will be well worth it. It teaches you your limits and the bikes limits, defensive driving tips, etc.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!

Good luck!

eddiecohen
11-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Back in 1983, I owned a new 1983 Honda CB350 (or something like that), moved up to a new 1985 Shadow 500, sold it in 1986, and didn't ride again until June of this year. At the time, I thought all I needed was a 2002 Shadow VLX Deluxe 600. I didn't think my current wife would ride, it was bigger than anything I had ever had, and I was uneasy about the weight of anything bigger.

I was actually a little hesitant to buy the Shadow 600 in June. I was disappointed to learn that the 1985 Shadow 500 was actually superior to the 2002 Shadow 600. The 1985 500 model had a six-speed transmission, a tach, shaft drive, and ran like a scalded dog. The 2002 600 was four-speed, chain drive, no tach, and was slower than my 1983 CB350.

Anyway, I discovered that my wife enjoyed riding with me, and she was the one that wanted to get a bigger more comfortable bike. We looked at 1100's and 1300's, and chose the 1300 Retro. I feel much more at ease on the 1300 than I did the 600. It's easier to handle, and much more comfortable. It has plenty of power. I hope I never drop it, because I don't think I could pick it up, but the bike is a dream come true. I recently drove my unsold 600, and was amazed at how much harder it was to control than my 1300 Retro at low speeds. Honda really did a good job in designing the way the 1300 handles.

The only thing I see missing on my 1300 is a xis-speed transmission, not so much for the high-end, but for the low end. I feel that first gear is geared way too high. It wouldn't hurt to be able to cruise at 80 MPH at a slightly lower RPM, either. (I know - there's not enough torque to top it out in a higher sixth gear, but I don't care about that part.)

Eddie

Anthony8858
11-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Boy do I feel at home around here. :lol:

rogerraj
11-04-2004, 10:59 AM
hey Fatboyz,

On an unrelated note, I really like the picture you posted. The shot from behind the bike looks really great.

RR

rbagby
11-04-2004, 12:14 PM
I have\had an 800 Volusia that is now my wifes bike. I hate to say it but I think it is easier to ride that the VTX. The only problem is it doesn't have enough power for me. I was happy to give it to her and buy my X. Plenty of power and a very close second in handling even though it is 100 pounds heavier. I would go for the X from the start.

05VTX 'R
11-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I with ya, I had the bug bite me too after going to the mountains and seeing all the folks riding up there, went out and bought an Shadow Aero 750, after riding for about 3 months and putting my plan into action, that was to get my wife to ride it and then picked up the 1300 retro for myself, which I executed perfectly, we both ride all the time now.

Get the 1300, you won't regret it.

Darrell

SSSSNAKE
11-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Anthony it's me again! One last word of caution, these x's both1300 & 1800 are top heavy. I'VE DROPPED MINE TWICE,once not moving and just let get too far over before trying to save it and once trying to take a very sharp & very slow corner. It was my mistake but I learned about the x being top heavy at slow speeds pretty quick. Of course that was my first season and the second has been problem free!

jscranton
11-04-2004, 02:09 PM
I am 5'9", 196 pounds, 57 years old and had not ridden in about 24 years. Looked at the Shadow 1100 and the VStar 1100. Liked all three. Bought a 2003 1300 Retro because of several reasons, overall feel, nice passenger seat for my wife, it's looks, power, price and others.

I had a Honda 350 and a Kawaski 900 previously.

I do not regret it at all. I did take the ABATE course and I am happy I did and recommend it to everyone.

I say go for the 1300. I do not believe you will regret it at all.

mcwho
11-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I agree, its a great bike ! I have ridden a Honda Magna 750 fro 7 years, saw the VTX when i went to the dealer to get new tires. The rest is history. I thought the extra 200 lbs would be tough to get used to, its not. I am 60 years, 5' 10" and 195 lbs.

or ridinbg club, "Southern Cruisers" has lots of riding events, chapters all over the usa.

No Regrets !!!

BadX
11-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Question:

Does the extra 100lbs over let's say the....Aero 750 or Volusia 800 reduce the handling and stability in slow riding, or does it offer more stability, with a low center gravity?

My fiancee has a 05 Aero 750. It is a big bike also but..and I am not bashing the Aero cuz its a great bike, it is short on power though but I think I feel that way because I ride a 1300 and have gotten use to the torque and hp it has. I do think if I would have gotten myself a 750 I would have gotten bored on it though and not ride as much as I do.

BadX
11-04-2004, 04:27 PM
hey Fatboyz,

On an unrelated note, I really like the picture you posted. The shot from behind the bike looks really great.

RR

Thanks RR, she's my pride and joy but I am digging mcwho's headlight

11-05-2004, 12:49 AM
I'm 50 and got back into the game last year by buying a 04 retro. Definately take the MSF course, and check out www.ridelikeapro.com (http://www.ridelikeapro.com) to get friendly with a big heavy bike at low speeds.

Hackman
11-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Go for it! After a few weeks of riding you will be leaning this bad boy around turns and scrapping floor boards! Yee Haw! I ride mine just about everyday all year round. Commute traffic, stop and go, no problem. You won't be regret this ride. You will have a hard time removing that silly grin from your face! :D

Coolwhip
11-05-2004, 08:44 AM
The X is a perfect choice. I had NEVER been on a bike . . .took the MSF course 2 years ago and bought the X, my very first bike. I was 62 years old then . . still love it.

JerseyDevil
11-05-2004, 10:12 AM
I bought my 1300S after not being in the saddle for 25 yrs.
I was somewhat shakey at low speeds for the first 200 miles or so.

10 months later I was scraping my floorboards on the "Dragon".

VTXLady53
11-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi..........I am on the chubby side and only 5'. I can handle my Black Dragon a lot better then I could my 750 Spirit. I can do very tight cicrles I couldn't do on the Spirit. Don't know why so don't ask........LOL

Clayton Root
11-06-2004, 12:44 AM
I have\had an 800 Volusia that is now my wifes bike. I hate to say it but I think it is easier to ride that the VTX. The only problem is it doesn't have enough power for me. I was happy to give it to her and buy my X. Plenty of power and a very close second in handling even though it is 100 pounds heavier. I would go for the X from the start.

I too owned a Volusia 800. Great bike for solo riding and very nicely featured. The new replacement Boulevard C50 is now fuel injected. Even more retro looking than the VTX. I find both bikes equally stable/balanced at low speeds and easy to ride. The handlebars are totally different though and offer unique riding positions. I never found the Volusia lacking for power but it did sound more stressed above 60 mph as it revs higher to make the power and the VTX is certainly better for two-up cruising. The biggest difference for me upon test riding the VTX1300 was getting my feet off the floorboards when stopping. Not a big deal but different than pegs. I love the boards for riding comfort and the ability to change the position of my feet. I was surprised how easily the VTX1300 comes up off the stand, actually very little difference than the Volusia even though it weighs 130 pounds more. Can't say that about an 1800VTX which is much more top heavy. In on road stability through crosswinds, etc. the VTX is in a totally different class than the Volusia. Of course it's in a totally different price class too. The Volusia/C50 is probably the overall best value in motorcycledom, feature for feature and still a far superior machine to the Honda 750 Aero, IMHO. Personally though, I can't underestimate the auditory pleasure the Single Crankpin VTX1300 produces and the effortless way in which it goes about its business. The Volusia is a dual crankpin design. Although not the least expensive bike in the "Big Cruiser" class, the VTX1300 also represents excellent value. It will take quite an effort by a competitor to get me off this beauty. My wife loves it too and rides with me at any opportunity.

AlohaFred
11-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Sounds like I fall right in with many others as well. Rode from late 60's to very early 80's. Then bought my VTX Sept. 2003. As they say, it's like riding a bike (Ooops). I did the same and took the course while I got my money together to buy her. Go for it, brings back that smile you had the last time you rode.

mikela1951
11-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Sold my Sportser in '75 didn't ride until June when I got my 2004 Retro. Myself, wife and 16 year old son took the MSC together and my son, who is 5'8" 140 lbs. can handle the X like he's been riding for years. It is a great handling bike.

Joeface
11-06-2004, 09:50 PM

I intend on taking the riding course.

Thanks.

Haden't ridden in 25 years when I bought mine. Never regreted it. Do take the MSA course as a refresher.

Tony Tequila
11-06-2004, 11:08 PM
You'll enjoy the bike. The VTX is perfect. At first I was intimidated by a 1300, but got a hang of it quickly. I would also recommend Jerry Paladinos DVD. I bought it and Man it made a difference let me tell you. I forgot what I paid for it but it was very well worth it. http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ And no. Im not a salesman or in anyway related to him or his company. BTW mention VTXOA.

soundsys4u
11-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Long story short. .

Hadn't ridden in over 20 years. Got myself a nice Honda 919 NakiD Street Bike. Rode it. .crashed it. . (because of some gloves. . search for my name if ya wanna know the rest of the story). . .Now. . after the crash, 4 days in ICU and 12 days in the hospital. . .I got my X.

I sincerely wish I had just started with the X. It's agile enough (is a 1300, not an 1800) and light enought that I think I would have been Ok. Keep in mind, I did the RIGHT things. Took the MSF, "played" in a parking lot to get used to things again. Rode with experienced riders, etc.

But I believe that it would be a great bike for someone getting back into things if you do it the right way and use your head.

Later!

Doc!
:twisted:

puddin
11-07-2004, 02:05 AM
after riding passenger on our valkyrie for 2 years & 12 states, I got the bug..spent a year on a 750 ACE & thought it was perfect, until the day I walked past an illusion blue 1300 that I swear winked at me! I sat down on it & I knew that it was 'my' bike. mr puddin told me to test ride on my lunch break thinking I wouldnt like the extra weight, handling, etc. I have put 7,000 miles on it this year :D

sayrepa
11-07-2004, 09:40 PM
I had a honda shadow in the 80's. bought the vtx 1300s in 03. great bike and ride. no problems after 20 years. i wasn't able to get in a riding school which i wouldrecommend but bought the motorman's tapes and praticed in a school parking lot.

Anthony8858
11-07-2004, 10:11 PM
This is great news for me.

I am definately getting a bike. My wife is trying tio talk me into the Suzuki Boulevard C50 Volusia (800cc).
I like the VTX 1300R.

Decisions, decisions. :roll:

eddiecohen
11-07-2004, 10:51 PM
I had a honda shadow in the 80's. bought the vtx 1300s in 03. great bike and ride. no problems after 20 years. i wasn't able to get in a riding school which i wouldrecommend but bought the motorman's tapes and praticed in a school parking lot.
I sent you a PM.

Eddie

Cat
11-07-2004, 11:52 PM
I too had not rode for over 20 years. My first choice to get back into riding was a 750 Shadow Spirit. (Up here in Ontario, Canada we have a graduated licencing system.) So I figured I start easy and work my way through the system. I put 34,000km on the Spirit and picked up my X the same week I got my full licence. Didn't find any difficulty in the upgrade and never looked back since. I tend to agree about the safety course, even if you feel your ok with your new bike, it helps to shake out the cobwebs and refresh your road skills in a controlled eviroment. Enjoy your new love and welcome to the family of X-Riders.
-Cat