Honda VTX Forum banner

S with Painted MS Batwing - Pics

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  MR VTX 
#1 ·
I bought this fairing from a member here at a great deal - thanks Wes. It was black and had some damage/scratches and a crack at the windshield mount. I had it repaired and painted and installed it on my 1800S. I think I need to lower it about an 1 1/2 inches for the proper fit. It rides good as it is but there is a gap over the headlight.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice. I agree that you should lower it. How tall is the shield? I've been looking at the Tsukayu fairing and they give you a choice of 4" or 10". I think the 4" would look better but would it be functional.
Tomorrow is going to be 60 degrees so I'm gonna clean her up and take her out for my first ride of the year.

#6 ·
Do your mounts allow the mounting pegs to be moved in a slot ?
If you move the top one forward and the bottom one towards the back, you can change the angle of the batwing and then slide the whole wing down until the headlight gap is reduced to a better fit.

#7 ·
..............had the same issue and gap as yours, in fact my gap was almost identical. As mentioned, I raised up the headlight bucket to close the gap. Shimming the bucket will move the bucket up and in due to the angle of the lower tree. The thicker the spacer, the more in and up. And, since the bucket is egg shaped, the gap will close not only on the top, but on the sides as well as it is moved in/up. I left the batwing up on the forks for the hand protection..............

If you shim up the bucket, you will need to find longer bolts to make it work. Here is how it looks after the shim.....................

Yours looks good! I cant decide if I want to paint the inside or not like you did.................

Attachments

#8 ·
Don't lower the shield.

Raise the headlight.

If you lower the shield, it will change how it rides and may put your hands " in the wind! "

Shield's not too high .... headlight is too low! :thumbup:
Great idea!! I will raise the headlight. I have a taller shield so if I was to lower the fairing I could offset it with the taller shield. The current shield is a 9 inch shield. I also have a 12 inch sheild.

#10 ·
Interesting read...I should get my batwing back from paint mid week. I am curious about the fit but on the good side there appears to be a lot of knowledge on here I can tap into.....by the way nice bike

#17 ·

Thanks!! I raised the headlight and it rides great. Thanks BD for the shims to raise the bucket.
no problem. They were sitting around here collecting dust anyhow, no telling where i got them, but then I do have all sorts of nuts & bolts for VTX's here..... Glad someone got some use out of them.

#18 ·
Whitewalls

I finally convinced myself that I don't need whitewalls and they suck.... then you show your bike with whitewalls and I got the itch for whitewalls again $$$$$$.

Excellent looking bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.