Honda VTX Forum banner

Help an ol phart out

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Donnie Downer 
#1 ·
I know this has been asked a bazillion times before but being over 70 years of age I cant remember the how to's and the where at's.... So hers the $64.00 question one more time.... How in Gods green acre do I get the throttle grip off without doing erepadable damage to it...it is an ISO grip... Please type slowly so's I can keep up.... Thanks....

#2 ·
I know this has been asked a bazillion times before but being over 70 years of age I cant remember the how to's and the where at's.... So hers the $64.00 question one more time.... How in Gods green acre do I get the throttle grip off without doing erepadable damage to it...it is an ISO grip... Please type slowly so's I can keep up.... Thanks....
I believe I've read that WD 40 sprayed between the grip & the throttle sleeve has been suggested.

Or maybe it was dynamite.

#4 ·
the switch housing holds the throttle side on..on the clutch side, slowly work an ice pick up under the grip from the end after removing the end caps and spray some kinda lube in there as ya go..once ya get all the way to the end, slowly work your way around the bar end with the ice pick and lube

#5 ·
Yes Sir

the switch housing holds the throttle side on..on the clutch side, slowly work an ice pick up under the grip from the end after removing the end caps and spray some kinda lube in there as ya go..once ya get all the way to the end, slowly work your way around the bar end with the ice pick and lube

Got me a new throttle control but the ISO throttle grip has to be removed so would the same procedure work on the throttle side?

#6 ·
That side requires a lot more of a gentle touch as the throttle sleeve is plastic, not metal. It may be that your problem will be how to get the Iso grip off of the sleeve after they both come off of the handlebar.

The WD40 should loosen up the existing glue initially but you may want to soak it for a while until you came feel movement.

You may have to reach down inside with a long handled needle nose pliers and remove the pieces if it breaks up on you until the Iso grip is clear of all broken pieces.
Since you have a new throttle sleeve though, it wouldn't matter if the old one broke or got deformed during removal. You just want to preserve the Iso grip so you can reinstall it on the new sleeve.
Good luck !

#7 ·
Got me a new throttle control but the ISO throttle grip has to be removed so would the same procedure work on the throttle side?
Yes sir it will. Just work the ice pick/small flat blade screw driver under the rubber and squirt WD-40 in there then give it a twist and it should come right off. If your going the reuse the grip you will have to clean to clean the WD-40 from the inside of the grip.:thumbup:

#10 ·
for somebody....
If you used the supplied glue.....good luck to you, you're going to need it. Superglue + Rubber + Plastic throttle sleeve make for a pretty tough bond.

Why are you taking it off?
If you are just switching bars, just unhook the cables and slide the whole thing, sleeve and all right off.

No I'm puting on a throttle control which requires removing the grip... Starting to think it aint worth it... but gonna give it a shot anyway and if it dont work I'll have a throttle control to give away at this coming Christmas give-a-way...
So one way to look at it is a win win situation.... for somebody....

#11 ·
Hey MIke -

I you don't want double the work of cleaning WD off everything so glue sticks.

Contact / brake Cleaner does two things very well -
It instantly melts the glue - re-wetted with it - now new grips go on needing no glue.
These solvents are what's used to make the glue.
Removes all the glue with a paper towel if needed instantly.

The Switch Housing does have to come off to get access for screwdriver to enter.
Just make sure to mark the bars where edge of switch goes when sliding
grip on - if you slide it on too far -
switch housing pin won't reach pin hole in the bar left side.

Lower have of throttle housing removed - gives access.
This side is a bit clumsy with throttle moving.

Slide nozzle of solvent along side of screwdriver -
give grip a twist - move screwdriver around - add a shot more if needed.

Airhose blast nozzle tube works to get them off & on - aimed at edge of grip & bars.

I did have issue getting endcap off throttle side - so it broke off the end of slide.
Good Luck Captain...

Glue in view - is Factory Applied. Tough Stuff.
It wasn't going to let me have the end cap freely.
I used Yellow 3M trim adhesive for the new grips.
This is the standard dealer process for 40 yrs.

Junk food Vehicle Food Snack

Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Beverage can Circle

#16 ·
That's odd - so it sets up solid - typical as true superglue?
Or just relabeled as such, but actually trim adhesive, always flexible?
Looked like your typical superglue gel to me....not flexible at all. Sets up instantly on the plastic throttle tube. Better not hesitate when you're sliding it on. Worst idea ever. I don't know if it has changed since. Used grip tape after ruining the first set trying to do exactly as the OP

From kurrys official instructions:

"The adhesive supplied sets up ALMOST INSTANTLY in the absence of air. There is
enough time to slide the grip into place, but ONCE IT STOPS MOVING, IT CANNOT
BE ADJUSTED."

http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/6340-23MC-1012.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.