Honda VTX Forum banner

Tsukayu Hard Bags

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  ghost rider 
#1 ·
So I have National Cycle hardbags now and they just aren't quite big enough to use for roadtrips. I find I carry an additional bag on multi-day trips. It kind of defeats the purpose of saddlebags . . . . anyway, on to the question. I've read real good reviews of Tsukayu bags, but I'm wondering the long term reviews (hence the new thread).

I'm looking at:
1) Patrol: http://www.tsukayu.com/Patrol.htm
or
2) Quick release hardbags: http://www.tsukayu.com/HardbagsforVTXrstn.html

I'm leaning toward option 2. . . They seem to flow a little better.

At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone has long term experience with storage capacity/longevity/quality/durability type experiences. I'm hoping to have sufficient storage to hold a bag of clothes, riding gear (chaps/rain gear/gloves/glasses/etc), and maybe a smidge of room left for a bottle of water or something of the like. It appears option 2 will definitely hold what I want. . . I just want to make sure folks have had good luck long term with them.

Thanks all in advance.

EDIT: I guess I'm also looking for any comments/concerns with quality/customer service from Tsukayu. Thanks again.

See less See more
#2 ·
The only thing I have heard negative about them is some bolts have come loose on the hinges letting the lids fly off...I myself haven't had that issue.
Only time I ran into any customer service type issues with them is when I bought my trunk and for the life of me couldn't figure how to make the spacers and bolts provided work with the bag and trunk hardware...came to find I wasn't the only one, and with some help from the forums and trimming/cutting of bolts and spacers, all worked out very well.
Been using my bags three seasons and the trunk for two.

#3 ·
I had them on my 1300s and loved the size of them. 2-3 bags of groceries in each
solidly built.

#4 ·
#5 ·
#6 ·
Want some pictures?

At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone has long term experience with storage capacity/longevity/quality/durability type experiences. I'm hoping to have sufficient storage to hold a bag of clothes, riding gear (chaps/rain gear/gloves/glasses/etc), and maybe a smidge of room left for a bottle of water or something of the like. It appears option 2 will definitely hold what I want. . . I just want to make sure folks have had good luck long term with them.
First, regarding customer service - They have the best customer service I've experienced and I'm 60. I was probably one of the early purchasers of the "C" model bags, and the left bag was showing some damage where it would hit the final drive hub. I wrote them with pictures, they asked me to take a few measurements and some more pics at different angles. Next thing I know they're shipping me a new bag.

They look great on my "C", I think the difference is that little angle cut at the bottom. They release in 10 seconds. I've never had one loosen. There is where a cotter pin could absolutel prevent it from coming off if the primary lock failed.

Now they do have some cut outs, to accommodate the pipes on the right and the hub on the left, which lessens capacity. However I am very pleased with them. There are several pics on my thread.

Good luck
Pete

#7 ·
I have a set of the VTX ,rstn bags and I love them. They hold a ton of stuff, just picture 1-18 pack of 16 oz cans of your favorite beer in each bag plus space for a few extra things. I was showing a H-D owner the bags and took one off in a matter of seconds and he said his quick release bags took about ten minutes to get off. They are very well made and look great to boot. you would like them.

Perry

P.S. I bought them used from Greg Riddle, they had been hit by a deer if I'm not mistaken, but were still in great shape without any damage that I saw from pics that Greg took and sent me before we did our deal, very solid bags that hold a ton of stuff, I hope to do a road trip some day to see what I can pack beside groceries.
Perry

#8 ·
I have a set I bought used of Strong Bags so cant say much about CS from Tsukaya. If I had to do it again I would get the larger Jumbos. I know now there is no such thing as enough room. The bags are SOLID. I did reinforce all bag mounts with SS flat bar and rubber. I can tell you what I got in the bags on the latest trip.
Left bag. Sleeping bag, spare helmet visor, can of fix-o-flat. Bag of misc headbands, gloves.
Right Bag. Small 4"-6"-2" box parts, camera bag, camping food( ramen noodles 4 bags, coffee instant packs, tea, sterno, cup metal, 2 apples phone charger. Qt of oil.(bought on the road) Qt of water .
Luggage rack. Bag of clothes, rain gear, tent.
Without camping gear I could easily travel for a week out of the saddle bags.

#11 ·
me, i own the Neo model so I would tend to go with the curvy bags

I just don't think the square - ish ( Patrol ) bags look good up against the round - ish fender

and vice versa......

my $ .02

8)

but they both look real​ good

I don't think you can go wrong either way

#13 ·
They are big and roomy. That's about all I would say good about them.
As far as customer service they SUCK. Their customer service is run by 1 guy here in the US and gets back to you at his will. He appeared to have no authority to answer any questions. he was always having to call the home office for answers.

I have the audio trunk and the VTX specific bags on my N. One bag was cracked when I received it. The trunk was at least a 1/2 inch off on one side.
Thanks to BD's cycles for making them look like something and look good.

I made several attempts to get Tsukayu to give me some kind of adjustment rather then shipping them back to china at my expense and waiting another 8 -12 weeks for replacements. Sent pictures of the trunk being off, all they kept telling me was I didn't have the seals in place so it looked off. I know Bryan didn't spend hours not knowing what he was doing.

As for the quality I think the hinges are real weak and flimsy. Keep a close watch on the hinge bolts that tend to loosen up over time.

#15 ·
I have had the bags on for 75k miles and have never had an issue with anything. I have had the trunk on for about 25k miles and not one issus.
With that being said i have never had to work with the customer service department. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.