Honda VTX Forum banner

oil -Mobil 1 Racing 4T?

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  keith409 
#1 ·
My buddy got an 1800R the other day.

Would the Mobil 1 Racing 4T work?

I use that in my 1300.

Tried to seach and it wasnt working properly.

Thanks.

#3 ·
yes, make sure that whatever you run it is not "energy conserving". Was iin the oil business at one time, Amsoil & Racing 4T are my choice.

#10 ·
now, I have a question. I've read it before not to use "energy conserving" oil in the vtx. sheerly out of quriousity, why not? I dont think I've ever seen a quart that said that. but honestly, I don't think I've ever really looked for it either.

#11 ·
energy conserving has additives that will cause our clutchs to slip or worse pop out of a gear as I have heard not had happen to me. Our oil lubricates our clutch(wet clutch), and it cannot have those additives in it to function properly
To search for the info yourself on the net type in what oil to use for wet clutch and you will get alot of info.

#13 ·
now, I have a question. I've read it before not to use "energy conserving" oil in the vtx. sheerly out of quriousity, why not? I dont think I've ever seen a quart that said that. but honestly, I don't think I've ever really looked for it either.
The molly will make your clutch useless...which is really bad given that the stock (1800) clutch is pretty much the weak link in the bike to begin with. :yikes:

#14 ·
I am using the Mobil 1 racing 4t right now.
But I swear it seems like when I was using the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 that the transmission was shifting smoother and quieter :dontknow:
I may go back to the high mileage Mobil 1

Attachments

#15 ·
I am using the Mobil 1 racing 4t right now.
But I swear it seems like when I was using the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 that the transmission was shifting smoother and quieter :dontknow:
I may go back to the high mileage Mobil 1
Really? I went the other way.... HM to 4T... I definately think the 4T is quieter. :dontknow:

#16 ·
On the container it will have a round stamp that says "energy conserving" imprinted in it. That indicates that it has additives, perhaps moly, that reduce friction. Those additives will mess up your clutch - slippage!

#18 ·
The molly will make your clutch useless...which is really bad given that the stock (1800) clutch is pretty much the weak link in the bike to begin with. :yikes:
Actually, many motorcycle-specific oils have 100 ppm moly or a bit more.

The type of moly (soluable) that they're using these days is different than what they used... years ago.

The vast majority of "Energy-Conserving" oils have little to no moly in them. Instead, there are other add packs that do not show up on a universal oil analysis.. The reason that moly has fallen from favor is that it is much much more expensive these days. They have found cheaper alternatives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.