Honda VTX Forum banner

1800S Notes by a new X user

655 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  adamrol2 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, :doorag: I have been going over all the boards and have found them to be very helpful. I bought my bike over a year ago and have been having a great time. I bought it with a lot of extras, so I am still having a time finding out what is factory and what is extra.

Did my first maintaince at 11500, bought it with around 7000 on it. Found out that you should not remove the tank with it full of fuel. Removed the rear bolt and lifted the tank to get it loose and broke the fuel line, apparently it was shortened and the tank only moved around an inch. Got a bath from fuel but was able to save most due to a 5 gal bucket I forgot to put away.

After viewing many links and articles on how to do the valve adj. I was a little worried. But it went good. A couple of suggestions, 1) you definately need the bent feeler gauges, straight will not work. 2) use a 10mm wrench that is at lest 8" long, I will be getting on and bending it to work around the openings better than the short one. 3) using needle nose plyers to help hold the adjuster does not work very well, will be making a small wrench from some thick sheet metal I have in the shop.

Also, my final note, spent an hour looking for the fuel filter. Finally looked on the computer manual I have, nothing. Has any one had any problems with out running a fuel filter? I could not find any threads on the issue. Must me nice, have to change the one on my car at least once a year!

Sorry for the length, glad I found the web site. Great info and great people. Now... what type of car tire and synthetic oil should I use! LOL8)
Thanks. Gene Schafer
PS sorry for the spelling, not my strong suit.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the board and congrats on wrenchin up,feels good dont it:thumbup:

#3 ·
Fuel filter

I have a 02 1800s and my fuel fiter is in the tank along with the fuel pump,,I understand some of the later models have the fuel pump mounted outside the tank,,not sure which models..but I definatlt would not run without a fuel filte in plce.it could not be good for the injectors

#5 ·
As Bullet said, the fuel filter is in the tank on the 02-04. It's in front of the rear wheel on later models. Someone posted that they turn the engine over, by hand, until the cam pushes on the valve after setting the valve gap and before tightening the lock nut. They then tighten the lock nut without having to hold the adjuster. I re-adjusted the valves this morning using this method and it works like a charm. A lot less frustrating. A big thanks to whomever posted this idea.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input, I looked in the tank through the fuel opening, but I did not see anything. :confused: But it is a big tank and you could not see down there very well. At least I know there is no water or dirt in the :mad: thing. (Man I love these little things!!)

All right, took it for a ride and it ran nice, in fact it ran great. Guess I did not know how dirty the K&N was, but it was nasty.

Great idea if you can't do any thing else. I will remember that.
Gene

#8 ·
Welcome to the board Meistro. I myself have been "fuel-initiated" as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.