Honda VTX Forum banner

Vibration in Turns

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  heffly 
#1 ·
I was riding home the other day :mrgreen: and layed the X into a nice left hand turn, hmmm vibration felt in left foot floorboard.:-( I thought it was the pavement or something, but....nope. It also exists in right hand turns but not as prolific. I noticed it riding to/fro work today. Came home read all the threads on rear bearings I could, how two's etc. Put the bike up on the stand and started looking for some noise or wheel movement. Front and rear. Nothing jumping out and slapping me in the face.:dontknow: I really get the feeling I should just order some new bearings just in case. Opinions and experience welcome. 2006,1300 S, 8565 miles.

#2 ·
tires are cupped do to low air pressure. if your running the recommended air pressure its not enough for the heavy bike. should run about 40 psi in your tires to prevent them from cupping

#4 ·
I run 38 lbs. front and rear. Sometimes 37 front and 38 rear. I dont see any cupping?????? This all happened from one day to the next. The turn would load the bearings differently than running upright. I am not sure if thats axial or torque loading??? I dont "feel" any wheel movement or noises. I was wondering about those flange bearings. IDK I will probably just order bearings and start tearing things down for a closer look...:shock:

#6 ·
First run 38-40 in front and 40 in rear.
As said cupping or out of balance.
If the tires are new then add Dynabeads 2oz front and 3oz rear.
Change steering bearing to All- Balls - never OEM bearings (junk).
Progressive front springs.

Donut/Doug

#7 ·
Another (easy) thing to check is/are the bushings on your rear shocks. If the bike isn't new, these may be worn out. If the shock mountng bolts are off-center from the bushings, replace the bushings. Several people have a variety of recommendations, but the 1800N bushings from the dealer will work. You'll need 4. Don't tell them you have a 1300, just tell them the part you want. The 1800 bushings are better than the 1300 (why???).

Search the forum and you'll find threads with pics.

#8 ·
OK, to put all this in a list with teh most common cause at teh top and least common cause at the bottom;

Tires are cupped, most likely reason for your vibrations especially in corners. You won't see cupping in teh early stages, only feel it. Read this for more;
http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/

It's NOT the bearings. Bearings going bad will have a loud roaring in a cyclic manor that you will hear over everything from straight exhaust to wind noises of a tornado. So, if you don't hear a "RRRRRR.......RRRRRRRRR......RRRRRRRR......RRRRRRR" it's not the bearings.

Neck bearings don't usually make a vibration, just a wobble that you feel in your bars, not floorboards.

#11 ·
That'd be my guess assuming the vibration is very minor.
How many miles on those tires? The more miles I put on mine, the highway cruizing 'flat spot' develops on the tire.
When I lean, the 'corner' of the tire with more tread makes a vibration.

#12 ·
Well the front has 1000 miles on it, the rear about 8500 miles. New shock bushings 1500 miles ago. It does seem to roar ( term used figuratively) more the deeper the lean gets, speed doesnt really matter, at 20 MPH I can throw it left and hear the noise. I almost want to call it grinding. Not loud, but noticeable. (Not the bearing type, steel crushing noise.) I initially thought rear wheel because I felt in the floorboard first, or most. But I am not so sure, although I have looked at the front wheel as well. I am going to look at it on the stand again tonight. The thing about my experience with bearings is that they dont get better or quit making noise. This is only happening in turns, especially left turns. And I would think I could here a bearing on the stand especially. :dontknow:

#15 ·
You guys are right on it looks like.....:bowdown: I put the bike back up on the stand, no bearing noise. Took a good look at the rear tire and noticed the left side (More than rightside) is cupped. The rubber on one side of the groove is a little higher than the other side of the groove. I guess this is cupping. Now I didnt notice this until this weekend, I have put 1800 miles on the tire. I also cant believe that makes that much noise, vibration. I have planned to replace the tire this winter so I suppose it will make it until then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.