The VTX 1300 is missing highway gearing ...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The VTX 1300 is missing highway gearing ...

Default The VTX 1300 is missing highway gearing ...

I have had Many BIKES AND i DO LOVE THE VTX 1300 ....However .... I think Honda DID NOT gear the bike for highway . The rpm's are way to high in 5th gear and the power band gearing ratio I feel is off by some degree. Here is what I feel it needs.

1 .... A sixth gear

2 .... More bottom end torque

3 ... Better erconomics for all riders size and weight

4 ... More hp

Out of all of the above a sixth gear is needed most . It would fit in with the same ratio the transmission has now. Just a sixth gear.

Honda Reps ... I am sure will put in a sixth gear soon ... Remember this post and see....

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Just go buy a different bike. The gearing is fine. The torque is fine. The HP is fine. And your never going to make a bike ergonomic for ALL rider sizes and weights. You can't.
    Back on the road. 2003 lightly moddified 118ci C model.

Default Re: The VTX 1300 is missing highway gearing ...

Quote Originally Posted by HD Suck
    I have had Many BIKES AND i DO LOVE THE VTX 1300 ....However .... I think Honda DID NOT gear the bike for highway . The rpm's are way to high in 5th gear and the power band gearing ratio I feel is off by some degree. Here is what I feel it needs.

1 .... A sixth gear

3 ... Better economics for all riders size and weight

4 ... More hp

Out of all of the above a sixth gear is needed most . It would fit in with the same ratio the transmission has now. Just a sixth gear.

Honda Reps ... I am sure will put in a sixth gear soon ... Remember this post and see....
    There are so many posts on these forums saying the same things, and then some. I am not sure what you mean by better economics for all riders....perhaps you mean ergonomics? Anyway, the 6th gear thing has been discussed to death. Do a search and you will see what I mean.

Personally, I do look to shift into that missing 6th gear on occasion, but now that I've got 10k miles on the bike, I rarely do it anymore. Once you get above 75 or so, these babies smooth right out and cruise.

I thought the same thing until this past saturday when I put 500 highway miles on Silver. I was doing 75-80 for hours at a time and realized that the gearing makes the engine purr at those speeds - easy on the ears and no issue with passing or performance.

I do however look for sixth gear every time I get on the highway.
    "This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." Will Rogers

13k miles and still look for 6th gear at times, even though I know its not there hahahahahahahaha

Insanity: repeating the same action while looking for different results
    "The Rebuild" contrinues !!!

Don't need a 6th gear....unless you want to putt-putt-putt down the highway like an old man, lose performance, and probably gas mileage too.

Top gear is fine the way it is - though I still doo look for 6th.
    If we had a 6th - I'd probably look for 7th.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

You know what i feal the same way. I have rode sport bikes that even at 120 they dont feal over reved like the 1300 ...but i did not have pipes that were that damn loud....Honestly i think the bike just feals that way...
    Before i put my pipes on my bike was so smooth @ 70 80 MPH...
    Now i get the fealing like it needs another gear....Would be nice anyway..
    2 questions -----Are you used to sport bikes??
    Do you Have Loud pipes????

If answer is yes to both, You now have entered Cruiser Land ....Never gonna ride as sweet & smooth as sport bikes.....

05 1300C Black with Candy Brandywine and Silver Flames by www.smoothcustoms.com

More Photo's at www.myspace.com/oneluv1979

Default Re: The VTX 1300 is missing highway gearing ...

1 .... A sixth gear

3 ... Better economics for all riders size and weight

4 ... More hp

Man I'm starting to think troll...every post lately seems to be about what's wrong with the VTX1300. Handlebars and seats are easy to change to fix the ergonomic problems. I sent you a whole selection of choices from Flanders. Do you think nobody else changes bars and seats on other brand motorcycles. Heck alot of times it's a matter of taste and the way YOU want it to feel. As far a gearing I use to think it was to low and it needed a 6th gear too,, until I had it ran on a dyno. Gearing is fine. If you think it needs a 6th gear here's what you do. Take it out and redline it in every gear. Then you'll realize there's alot left in 5th and gearing is fine.
    I think it's a case of everyone wants more. bigger engine, more gears, more this, more that, until just 4 years ago 1300cc was a BIG bike. Had Honda come out with the 1300 instead of the 1800 everyone would have said it was a nice step up from the shadow. But because of the 1800 now it's a small bike that needs something more. I like it, although it could use more....
    Well it's time to either get busy livin, or get busy dyin....Andy Dufresne- Shawshank Redemption

Don't be afraid of failing at something that matters, be afraid of succeeding at something that doesn't matter.

I agree with xlr8, I have changed bars, seats, carburetion, ignition modules, engines, etc., on almost every bike I have owned. From HD's to Goldwings. But I can tell you one thing: The VTX1300 is the best bike of any of them stock and that is why I don't own any of the others. A 6th gear wouldn't work on it. If you feel you need one it is time for a Goldwing, or to become a cager. It isn't safe to putt putt on the highway without any power.
    2005 1300C, Mustang seat, JCW Floorboards, Memphis shades windshield and lowers, Harley Softail mufflers, leather bags, cobra mini-backrest with oem helmet lock added, 1800S handlebars, Motorcycletunes speakers, Peacefulcruisin tank bib with ipod pocket, 140 db 12v horn, vista-cruise.

I have to agree with Xlr8: HD is definitely starting to sound like a troll. If not, he's a complete whiner. Just look at his name.

HD, grow up! If you need advice, ask. There are helpful, intelligent people here willing to provide their experience, opinions, and assistance.

If you have thoughtful comments that benefit the community, please share them.

Otherwise, maybe you should just lurk. NOBODY LIKES A TROLL.

Scott
    Life is NOT a dress rehearsal. Live it to the fullest.

Iron Butt # 31350
    '05 Goldwing GL1800A - Pearl Yellow w/WAGS Dog Trailer
    '09 SilverWing 600 - Maroon

Quote Originally Posted by cybrhick
    Just go buy a different bike. The gearing is fine. The torque is fine. The HP is fine. And your never going to make a bike ergonomic for ALL rider sizes and weights. You can't.
    I'll disagree to a point.....as many have said, it sure does feel like it needs 6th gear.

But other than that, I think the bike has plenty of low end torque (more than my VT1100C had), and HP is fine.....plenty of power for most all situations.....(although more power is ALWAYS cool!) and is plenty OK ergonomics wise....like you said, one bike cant fit all....I had to add risers and a mustang seat and now it feels like it was made for me....
    2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
    RIP: 2005 1300R (Ol' Silver)
    Courtesy and Tolerance.........Courtesy begets Tolerance and Tolerance begets Courtesy.
    AKA -- "Do Unto Others"

Quote Originally Posted by Poison
    Don't need a 6th gear....unless you want to putt-putt-putt down the highway like an old man, lose performance, and probably gas mileage too.

A 6th gear would allow for lower RPMs at highway speeds and would save gas.....you can always shift down a gear for power....
    2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
    Courtesy and Tolerance.........Courtesy begets Tolerance and Tolerance begets Courtesy.
    AKA -- "Do Unto Others"

Sorry, lower rpms does not mean lower gas. The bike doesn't have the horsepower for a 6th gear. If you had one it would be lugging and you would be at full throttle to go 70-75 - Unless you increased your hp by 20% or so.

Quote Originally Posted by shadango

A 6th gear would allow for lower RPMs at highway speeds and would save gas.....you can always shift down a gear for power....
    2005 1300C, Mustang seat, JCW Floorboards, Memphis shades windshield and lowers, Harley Softail mufflers, leather bags, cobra mini-backrest with oem helmet lock added, 1800S handlebars, Motorcycletunes speakers, Peacefulcruisin tank bib with ipod pocket, 140 db 12v horn, vista-cruise.

Not always true, if it were - cars would have 20 gears. You reach a point where, to compensate for the loss of power (lower rpm's, lower in the power band), you have to open the throttle, using more gas.
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    shut up and ride

Missouri City, TX...where black IS the fastest color

if the X had a 6th gear, all we would hear on this forum is
    "I wish it had a 7th gear"
    "im always looking for that 7th gear"
    think about it
    #1 member of the Bulb Club
    Home of Joe's Pizza
    Cool Runnins is my friend!

Just think its the sound... I usually look for a sixth gear, but I also know that at 60, 70, or 80 mph, the bike will get out of its way in fifth.

Find some really quite pipes and you won't know the difference.
    Silver '04 VTX 1300 C, not that brownish, goldish, tan color they call titanium...

I've tried shifting to a 5th, 6th or 7th gear on every bike I have owned. From the bridgestone 90 to the Triumph tr6 (bike not car) to the Ducati 250 to the HD's I've owned to the goldwings to the VTX. Just the nature of the machines and the human desire to get more speed, power or mileage. Life is a compromise just like the gearing in machines.

If it had a 6th gear, HD would be complaining that it bogs down on a hill, and you need to downshift.

HD tried this on some of their production bikes, and found they don't have the power for it. they bog down in the hills & with 2 up. The same would happen with the X.

I used to think it needed a 6th gear too. But after spending some time with it at highway speeds, in the mountains, I think it's geared just fine. I can pull mountain passes at highway speed, and have plenty of power left to pass if I need to.

I agree that HD is reaching troll status.
    Dude: If you don't like the X, get a different bike, and go bug somebody else.

Dogs understand why bikers ride

'04 VTX 1300 Silver Retro
    C.R.A.P. Member #007

GD69

Quote Originally Posted by VTX-Ryder
    If it had a 6th gear, HD would be complaining that it bogs down on a hill, and you need to downshift.

HD tried this on some of their production bikes, and found they don't have the power for it. they bog down in the hills & with 2 up. The same would happen with the X.

I used to think it needed a 6th gear too. But after spending some time with it at highway speeds, in the mountains, I think it's geared just fine. I can pull mountain passes at highway speed, and have plenty of power left to pass if I need to.

I agree that HD is reaching troll status.
    Dude: If you don't like the X, get a different bike, and go bug somebody else.
    Tried a six speed in the HD for 2 weeks went back and got the 5 speed back a lot better on the rode
    as for hds he is a troll just got some of his posts wiped of the hd forum

Not always true, if it were - cars would have 20 gears. You reach a point where, to compensate for the loss of power (lower rpm's, lower in the power band), you have to open the throttle, using more gas.
    Well, some tractor trailers do have 20 gears or so...its so you can tailor the gear to the driving requirement at a given time....on a TT, you need lots of low, closely spaced gears so you can pull huge loads from a standstill.....but even TTs have "overdrive" which is effectively what we are talking about here.....(very simple explanation)

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_talk2di...t has 5 speeds
    2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
    AKA -- "Do Unto Others"

4th and 5th gears are "overdrive" gears as they are less then 1-1 , RPM at 60 on an S model 1300 is 2810.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Albert Einstein

Just talked to a Honda representative by phone ... He said the 6th gear is a HUGE debate for the 2008 vtx 1300 models and that a restructuring of the gear ratio is also in the works for the vtx 1300. Now who's the troll ?

hondadevelopment@honda.net

Just talked to a Honda representative by phone ... He said the 6th gear is a HUGE debate for the 2008 vtx 1300 models and that a restructuring of the gear ratio is also in the works for the vtx 1300. Now who's the troll ?
    Honda does not discuss such things with even their own dealers....let alone some guy that just calls up.
    If in fact somebody told you that - it was just to pacify you.
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    shut up and ride

Well, *I* just talked to a Honda rep by phone and I was told that as a promotion for 2008 they are going to give all current VTX owners a free 2008 model so we can compare and provide feedback to them.

No offense, but stating that you talked to someone doesnt offer any kind of proof.......not saying you are a troll....but your last post doesnt help your case, is all I am saying....I do think people can be too quick to call someone a troll though.....

Although with as many people yapping about the "missing 6th gear" out here on the web I wouldnt be surprised if Honda was at least looking into it....
    2005 1800R (Ol' Ruby)
    AKA -- "Do Unto Others"

There are those of you that are kiss asssses to the adminastrater and think you own this site and you do not. I am sure if the the adminastrater did a little research he could CLEARLY see WHO all the trolls are .. I think this site is great however there will always be Harley scum who will try and mess up another mans chioce in the true KING of bikes ....The VTX 1300 ...

There are those of you that are kiss asssses to the adminastrater and think you own this site and you do not. I am sure if the the adminastrater did a little research he could CLEARLY see WHO all the trolls are .. I think this site is great however there will always be Harley scum who will try and mess up another mans chioce in the true KING of bikes ....The VTX 1300 ...

Well sir, i for one am not a troll Been called alot of things on this forum, but never ever a troll
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

I USED TO OWN A::::: Black 04 1300 C , HK american shorts, DJ kit,thunder tornado, 210 rear, chrome wheels. Did i mention it was black?

Do you know who you are starting to sound like???????? That
    " 20bikeslater " guy.Are you and him one in the same.Cause he used to post alot of the same stuff you do .

I USED TO OWN A::::: Black 04 1300 C , HK american shorts, DJ kit,thunder tornado, 210 rear, chrome wheels. Did i mention it was black?

Quote Originally Posted by mrfrze

Well sir, i for one am not a troll Been called alot of things on this forum, but never ever a troll
    Hey....you may not be a troll....but what about a "kiss asssses to the adminastrater"

BTW....What's an "adminastrater"
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    shut up and ride

Quote Originally Posted by mrfrze

Hey....you may not be a troll....but what about a "kiss asssses to the adminastrater"

Kiss ass?????

In the infinate words of RRKR ......................maybe, maybe not

Is that like, one of those new Yamaha Admina-Strater-Liners.
    I hear they're pretty nice
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    shut up and ride

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.