Honda VTX Forum banner

Exhaust for the VTX (Handler)

1K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  HANDLER 
#1 ·
Hello guys, long time.
I dont get on the board much these days and seem to have my head stuck in the chrome 24 hours a day thus the question.
Are there any new offerings out there for the 1800 in the way of exhaust.
In a pefect world, I'd like to find some 3" stuff with double wall or heat shields kind of like the HardKrome stuff but shorter and more custom.
I'm aware of all the folks who have been around a while and models available unless there are some new companies or models available over the last year or two.
Vance and Hines has that new hot looking custom shorty set up but not available for the VTX.
I'm aware of Mortons stuff but at my last inquiry, they were not building anything with heatshields or double wall.
I wouldnt mind at all having some fully custom built pipes made for my new show bike but finding someone who can do the mandrel bends and can built with double wall or heat shields seems to be nearly impossible to find.
thanks, mike

#5 ·
Thanks guys, Don, those pipes are very nice and very custom but would have to have the shields of course. When you say they are in the newest catalog, I assume you mean in there but just not listed as being available for the VTX. What is it that gave you the info or idea that they may make them for the X? Some inside info???
I hope your right as those are of the idea that I am speaking.
Thanks Spike also for the comments. It just seems like the offerings for the VTX are rather limited and all rather similar and rather boring as well. I took a set of damaged 3" HK pipes and cut them off way short and they looked just rad and very nice but they are too raw, not nice enough for a show bke. The look of them with that 3" stubby look was just bad bad.
I am trying to do something other than butchering up a new set of pipes and them having to re-chrome them which presents a unique challenge when dealing with double wall stuff.
Finally, Jam57, those are very interesting pipes and to be honest, I didn't know anyone but HK made a 3" pipes for the X. The ones I looked at on their web site are too long for my needs but interesting none the less.
I will contact the mfg direct and see if they are interesting in making some custom pipes for me. I'm not holding my breath though.
Thanks guys, mike

#8 ·
I seen a few sets in January down in Florida, they were Mat Hotch pipes that work on the VTX, you do need to cut off and change the flange end. The guy that was doing them was making his own heat shields and they looked like the ones pictured above. I will see if I can trck down a number for the guy.

Also, since you know a chromer :wink: I wouldnt worry about butchering a new set. I cut my Cobra slash cuts on Acrophat down a good 14" and made shorties out of them...infact I will be sending them to you this winter for rechrome as the cut edge is a bit ragged.

#9 ·
All good info guys, thanks a bunch. Keep me posted if you find out any more info but this all does look promising.
If I dont see some of you in Sturgis in a few weeks, I'll see you in Daytona in October I hope. mike

#10 ·
Handler, Roger, I think his handle is VTXRoger, used a Sideburner exhaust, minus the big turn out for a different look on his bike. He didn't attach the big 4 inch turn out to the seperate pipes and mounted tips to the two seperate pipes. There may be a pic of his bike from that side on the Colorad Ride-in pics. His would be the one that had the neck cut and strecthed out. It made for a shorter pipe and cleared up everything in fornt of the wheel on the right side.

#11 ·
HANDLER said:
Hello guys, long time.
I dont get on the board much these days and seem to have my head stuck in the chrome 24 hours a day thus the question.
In a pefect world, I'd like to find some 3" stuff with double wall or heat shields kind of like the HardKrome stuff but shorter and more custom.
I'm aware of all the folks who have been around a while and models available unless there are some new companies or models available over the last year or two.
Vance and Hines has that new hot looking custom shorty set up but not available for the VTX.
I'm aware of Mortons stuff but at my last inquiry, they were not building anything with heatshields or double wall.
I wouldnt mind at all having some fully custom built pipes made for my new show bike but finding someone who can do the mandrel bends and can built with double wall or heat shields seems to be nearly impossible to find.
thanks, mike
Check these out they look pretty nice.

http://xchoppers.com/product_info.php?products_id=701

Regards,
PAVTX

#12 ·
Handler,

I saw in a bike rag a few days ago a new set for Harleys by Hooker called "FourBidden". Its 4 pipes that form the header and end very near the transmission in a collector. Then there are 3 (or more) tips that can be added to the collector, chrome, satin metal (silver), or black. It might give you some ideas for what you're looking for.

Woot!

#13 ·
Thanks Woot, how goes it brother in the big city of KC?

Woot! said:
Handler,

I saw in a bike rag a few days ago a new set for Harleys by Hooker called "FourBidden". Its 4 pipes that form the header and end very near the transmission in a collector. Then there are 3 (or more) tips that can be added to the collector, chrome, satin metal (silver), or black. It might give you some ideas for what you're looking for.

Woot!

#14 ·
Thanks much I will look into that.
Say on a seperate note, I am very troubled and concered about your message. I want to know how my wife found here way onto your avatar???................................:)
mike

mutt said:
Handler, Roger, I think his handle is VTXRoger, used a Sideburner exhaust, minus the big turn out for a different look on his bike. He didn't attach the big 4 inch turn out to the seperate pipes and mounted tips to the two seperate pipes. There may be a pic of his bike from that side on the Colorad Ride-in pics. His would be the one that had the neck cut and strecthed out. It made for a shorter pipe and cleared up everything in fornt of the wheel on the right side.

#15 ·
Hello PAVTX,
I am familiar with the Mortons offerings. The problem with them is that I Like the basic look of them a lot but I cant work with a single wall set up. I must have heat shields or double wall contruction. For a show only bike, these are nice and will work and that is what I am building but I just cant bring myself to do this as the discoloration over time bugs me to no end AND, the look I am wanting is that of a very large diameter pipe such as a 3" outside diameter. This particular bike is crying for that huge massive bad boy look.
Thanks buddy, mike

PAVTX said:
HANDLER said:
Hello guys, long time.
thanks, mike
Check these out they look pretty nice.

http://xchoppers.com/product_info.php?products_id=701

Regards,
PAVTX

#16 ·
I want to know how my wife found here way onto your avatar???................................ [Smile]
That there is funny. I'll have to let her know when she gets home that she must have a twin. Of course I have a group of snappy come backs going thru my head, but, why crack on the guy that does our polishing/chroming. Besides, I'm thinking of some things to get done in the near future. See, old age is making me a little smarter. :eek:

G
#17 ·
I just put Cobra Angled Slashcuts on my 1800 Retro... I like the way the rear pipe wraps around... They are a little louder than I wanted but I can adjust......
Wife ??? Twin ??? She's my girl friend in this dream I keep having. But I have been taking double the prescribed Rx lately to keep me in a better mood.....

Peace,
RJ

#18 ·
Hey here is one thats even funnier, when I saw that pic of her, I assumed you didnt even know her. You know, many of these guys do that, they take some hot babe and use the pic as an avatar. Usually some hot biker model or something. Thats rather common and pretty harmless. So if your saying thats your woman in real life buddy, all I can say is congratulations, you did good [wink]
Mike

mutt said:
I want to know how my wife found here way onto your avatar???................................ [Smile]
That there is funny. I'll have to let her know when she gets home that she must have a twin. Of course I have a group of snappy come backs going thru my head, but, why crack on the guy that does our polishing/chroming. Besides, I'm thinking of some things to get done in the near future. See, old age is making me a little smarter. :eek:

#19 ·
HANDLER!!!! (what's up dude)

What I don't understand is why morton's doesn't offer heat sheilds.. all they need to do is make the same pipe and cut it in half.

I guess you can always ceramic (sp?) coat the mortons.. that should reduce or eliminate the bluing and reduce some of the heat

#20 ·
how in the heck are you buddy??
Going to Sturgis by the way?
I'm busting butt here trying to get ready.
Yes I agree, the heat shield thing would generate a lot more bus for them.
The ceramic coating they put on the inside of the pipes will help of course but not solve the problem.
There are various coatings that can be applied to the outside of the pipe as you mentioned including even the various colors of heat wrap used on a lot of the custom choppers these days but all of them change the look of the pipe and for anyone who is into the chrome look, its not a happening thing.
By the way, your bike look sweet and I like those pipes of your quite a lot.
Take care brother.
mike

Sinned said:
HANDLER!!!! (what's up dude)

What I don't understand is why morton's doesn't offer heat sheilds.. all they need to do is make the same pipe and cut it in half.

I guess you can always ceramic (sp?) coat the mortons.. that should reduce or eliminate the bluing and reduce some of the heat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.