Honda VTX Forum banner

Clutch noise/grab

7K views 57 replies 22 participants last post by  XNigma 
#1 ·
I posted about this a while back but not too many replies so I thought I would try again....

My bike has about 7500 miles.....2005 model.

Every once in a while I have a strange issue.....when letting out the clutch it seems to grabprmaturely and make a shrieking kind of noise....kind of like an old dresser drawer makes if that makes any sense.....kind of a shriek...not a squeak....

It used to happen only when cold...but lately it happens when warm too......

Only happens when pulling out from a dead stop in 1st......and when it makes the noise the clutch grabs too soon asnd the bike lurches a bit.....I am able to pull the clutch back in and it goes away....

Sometimes I can ALMOST hear it when letting out the clutch and I back off and reclutch and it is fine....

Otherwise clutch seems fine....

Any ideas?? (I always have the WIERDEST issues...I swear. :roll: )

See less See more
#28 ·
ironmorph said:
I tried to avoid the "oil" thing I really did, oh well. I will post when I put the MTC clutch in. You can rest assured I will try it out sufficiently to pass muster... 8)
SO did you get your clutch problem solved yet???

Mine is still making the groaning noise and acting like its slipping.....tonight it did it all the way thru an intersection.......

I am confused though.......if it was worn plates or springs, wouldnt it do it EVERY TIME? I only have 10k miles on it....It only does it maybe every 4th or 5th start from a dead stop.....warm or cold now.

#29 ·
Let me tell you what happened to me.

My bike was spinning the clutch every once in a while, like some of yours.

Recently, I did a valve job, changed oil with MX4T, and changed the air filter.

After that, I hooked up a tach, and did the idle as per the repair manual.
The idle sounded higher than what it had been set at. (by ear)

for the next several days, I found that the clutch did not slip anymore.

I thought about it for a couple of weeks. Then I had a flash of inspiration, and looked at the oil passage diagram in the owners manual.

It looks like the oil is pumped to the clutch continuously.

I surmised that the low idle was not allowing enough oil to get to the clutch to keep it properly wet.

I set the idle of the bike back by ear to what it was before, much lower. I took it out, and all of a sudden, the dang thing started slipping from a start when it was cold, just like before.

I have since reset the idle with the tach, and the problem is gone, again.

I'm still gonna pull the cover and inspect the plates and replace at least 3 of the springs, but I think I've found what the problem was in my bike.

#30 ·
housedad said:

I thought about it for a couple of weeks. Then I had a flash of inspiration, and looked at the oil passage diagram in the owners manual.

I surmised that the low idle was not allowing enough oil to get to the clutch to keep it properly wet.

I set the idle of the bike back by ear to what it was before, much lower. I took it out, and all of a sudden, the dang thing started slipping from a start when it was cold, just like before.

I'm still gonna pull the cover and inspect the plates and replace at least 3 of the springs, but I think I've found what the problem was in my bike.
Interesting.......my bike doesnt seem to idle too low...but then again, maybe I have just gotten used to it......

I may try bumping up my idle some and see what happens....of course, it didnt do it at all after yesterdays HUGE occurence thru the intersection......I wanna have it happen again before I try that so that I can test for sure....

If that is all it is that would be great...thanks for the suggestion.....

Can you fill us in a little more on the tach? What kind is it and how didi you hook up?? I would like to check mine with instrumentation....

#32 ·
housedad said:

id agree with this. and id like to add the state of tune and jetting in the carb can force you to use more slippage while starting off from a stop. the low end might need fattening up to alow you to roll off the clutch sooner as well as a proper idle speed. i usually only need to slip mine for a second to get rolling. hardly enough time to turn more than a couple revolutions. it did take alot more slipping with stock pipes intake etc etc.

#33 ·
I used a standard auto bench tachometer, the kind that you get with the strobe light in tune up tool kits. Just hooked it to battery, the VSS line off of the front coil, and set it for 2 cylinder. Follow the instructions book for the tach.

I did the setting as per the shop manual as listed under pilot screw adjustment page 5-18 of the shop manual.

#35 ·
While on the subject,

No matter how hard I try or how many times I try, can’t seem to get into 6th gear. Have talked to the dealer and his recommendation is that I should live with it and just not to exceed about 100 or the equivalent of hyperspace.

Noticed the same problem on my old Vstar 650 but it was much more exasperating. That’s the main reason I MOVED UP

Ps also the auto cancel on turn signals is inoperative.

#36 ·
Glenn_M said:
I also occasionally have the clutch grab thing. I have synth oil. I agree it may be due to low rpms during startup and after a few days of no running.
Well, it did the groan/slip thing again yesterday so I went and bumped up the idle a good deal.....it seems like it migh tbe doing it a bit less, though its hard to tell..but it is still doing it....I think maybe the higher RPMs might mask whatever is causing it.

Seems like this really IS a common problem with the 1300....

Would anyone be interested in getting something together like a website so we could compare notes as far as oil, symptoms, etc?

Seems like if enough people compared notes we might find a cure....

Although I believe one person had swapped out springs and that cured it....Chaps my hide to have to go through that on a bike with 10k miles onit and still under warranty....I know its not worn clutch facings.....if it were it would do it all the time...not just hit or miss....

G
#37 ·
I know exactly the sound you are talking about. The first time it happened was the day I bought it and was driving away from the dealer. I have asked 4 different dealers about it and they say "what noise" "We don't know anything about a noise".

But then that is the same answer I get when asking about the decel wobble. "Wobble, what wobble" or "We have never had anyone else tell us about a wobble" Or "there is nothing wrong with your head bearing". I really hate the dealers in the Portland (Oregon) area. None of them seem to know their ass from a hole in the ground.

For me the sound happens when the bike is cold but I have had it happen a couple times once the bike warmed up. It seems like the clutch is binding and not releasing evenly. I have often wondered if it was eating up the clutch disks because I can change oil and by the time I get 1,000 miles on it the oil is black as a tar! That is something else I have asked the dealer about.

I did switch to synthetic oil at 8,000 miles and it does run quieter, smoother, and I have not had tha clutch bind nearly as much.

#38 ·
jshenry1963 said:
I can't say that I've ever noticed the shriek/lurch on my 05 1300.

I have noticed the false neutral between 4th and 5th though, but I notice I get there when I don't push/pull hard enough going from one to the other. I don't mean you have to kick it, but if you gently nudge, and sometimes I do because of how fast I may try to shift it, and it ends in the 4/5neutral. But typical shifting it is fine. Never noticed it when I use the heel shifter, only the toe shifter. Must be more force always with the hell(sorry, heel) shifting.
I've never had that clutch shriek you talk about, but I have noticed that occasionnally after a long ride,when I pull into a place to park,and I try to put it in neutral to shut it off,it doesn't want to go into neutral!!! I have to coax it along by squeezing/releasing the clutch and simultaneously toeing the clutch pedal.THEN it slips into neutral.Sometimes it just goes right into neutral and that's that.Anybody else have that problem?

#39 ·
client_server said:
I know exactly the sound you are talking about. The first time it happened was the day I bought it and was driving away from the dealer. I have asked 4 different dealers about it and they say "what noise" "We don't know anything about a noise".

But then that is the same answer I get when asking about the decel wobble. "Wobble, what wobble" or "We have never had anyone else tell us about a wobble" Or "there is nothing wrong with your head bearing". I really hate the dealers in the Portland (Oregon) area. None of them seem to know their ass from a hole in the ground.

For me the sound happens when the bike is cold but I have had it happen a couple times once the bike warmed up. It seems like the clutch is binding and not releasing evenly. I have often wondered if it was eating up the clutch disks because I can change oil and by the time I get 1,000 miles on it the oil is black as a tar! That is something else I have asked the dealer about.

I did switch to synthetic oil at 8,000 miles and it does run quieter, smoother, and I have not had tha clutch bind nearly as much.
Did you buy your bike brand new?? It did it from brand new??

#40 ·
If any of this low oil pressure thing were true, mine would still do it. I changed my pads and mine has NEVER done it again. I did not change my
my idle to it's naturally low setting, and I am sure it's lower than 900 rpms. I changed my clutch out, and I am happy to never hear from that moaning dog again. 8)

#41 ·
Altho I still like it, I am beginning to think this is not one of the greatest bikes Honda has made. Do we have to upgrade to an 1800 to get quality?
I have never before had a bike with a "natural" shimmy or a pull to the right I couldn't adjust or a clutch that groans or floorboards that scrape in a moderate turn. The list goes on. You'd think it was a HD. No wait! I hear on the new HD's even THEY don't have the problems they used to. WTF is happening here?

#42 ·
ironmorph said:
If any of this low oil pressure thing were true, mine would still do it. I changed my pads and mine has NEVER done it again. I did not change my
my idle to it's naturally low setting, and I am sure it's lower than 900 rpms. I changed my clutch out, and I am happy to never hear from that moaning dog again. 8)
Did you use a stock OEM clutch pack or an aftermarket? Do you still run sythetic??

These are the details that make the difference!

Please, everyone.....if you have had this problem, please post your experience here...but give us all the pertinent info!

#44 ·
Glenn_M said:
Altho I still like it, I am beginning to think this is not one of the greatest bikes Honda has made. Do we have to upgrade to an 1800 to get quality?
I have never before had a bike with a "natural" shimmy or a pull to the right I couldn't adjust or a clutch that groans or floorboards that scrape in a moderate turn. The list goes on. You'd think it was a HD. No wait! I hear on the new HD's even THEY don't have the problems they used to. WTF is happening here?
Actually, I think *initial* quality is pretty good.......I am just not sure yet about ONGOING quality.....

OK...this is where someone chimes in sarcastically and says "Yeah you should get rid of the X cuz its a real POS".....

I, for one, am not saying that the X is a POS....but I *do* feel like there are more "quirks" than there really should be.......although I dont know that scraping floorboards is necessarily a problem...that comes down to riding style and the fact that the bike is low, which I happen to like myself......but the steering wobble, a bad front tire out of teh crate for me which caused a DIFFERENT front end problem, a bad clutch cable at 10k miles and this clutch groan/malfunction (it has gone beyond a quirk for me and I feel it is a malfunction) all have me wondering.

I am thinking my deicision to by an extended warranty is even more reinforced....

But again, please lets not turn this into a VTX bashing thread.....

I really love my X and am hoping to resolve this nasty clutch issue....

G
#45 ·
Yes....bought it brand new. I also purchased the extended warranty. Does not seem to be worth what I paid if I can't find a dealer with have a brain in their head!

client_server said:

Did you buy your bike brand new?? It did it from brand new??

#46 ·
shadango said:
ironmorph said:
Did you use a stock OEM clutch pack or an aftermarket? Do you still run sythetic??

These are the details that make the difference!

Please, everyone.....if you have had this problem, please post your experience here...but give us all the pertinent info!
I have posted on this many, many times. Once again, I used the MTC clutch kit for the 1800's. The springs do NOT fit the 1300, so I used the originals. I would NOT put synthetic oil in my bike again. Although many folks here use it, and have no problems, that was not the case with me. I now have NO slipping and I use regular DINO oil. 8)

#48 ·
buddy al said:
tried and found i could make the noise .to much clutch not enough gas. never had noise before try adjusting take off style.JMHO
I tried this for a couple days....still have the noise......

#49 ·
There are SO MANY threads ofn the clutch noise problem I didint know where to post this, so I figured my own post would be good as any.... :D

I replaced the stock springs (11500 miles on them) last night with Barnett MT-114-6 springs.....the rest of the clutch looked fine.

After about 110 miles or so and 4 sperate rides the noise/grab hasnt happened yet.

I am optimistic but cautious.....it seems like the springs did the trick or at least masked whatever was causing it to start with.....

I will update this thread as time goes on because I truly think this will show up more and more as folks put more miles on.....

Coincidentally, I did NOT do an oil change...the same synthetic that was in there when it was slipping/grabbing is what is in there now...

And oh yeah, I did NOT have to remove my exhaust to do the job...I have Cobra SPeedster Longs...just have to loosen the lower pipe's heatshield.

If anyone has questions , just ask. :wink:

#50 ·
The dreaded clutch chatter is getting worse on my bike. It now has over 24,000 miles on it. I’m going to replace the clutch, is there better springs and/or friction plates or should I just use O.E.M.?

ironmorph:
I have posted on this many, many times. Once again, I used the MTC clutch kit for the 1800's. The springs do NOT fit the 1300, so I used the originals.

shadango:
I replaced the stock springs (11500 miles on them) last night with Barnett MT-114-6 springs.....the rest of the clutch looked fine.
After about 110 miles or so and 4 sperate rides the noise/grab hasnt happened yet.

Any updates Guys?

#51 ·
skipwicks said:
The dreaded clutch chatter is getting worse on my bike. It now has over 24,000 miles on it. I’m going to replace the clutch, is there better springs and/or friction plates or should I just use O.E.M.?

ironmorph:
I have posted on this many, many times. Once again, I used the MTC clutch kit for the 1800's. The springs do NOT fit the 1300, so I used the originals.

shadango:

Any updates Guys?
Here is a question for ya: Who's clutch still runs like a raped ape after replacing the fiber discs only and riding for over 25,000 miles ?

I think the OEM set up is just fine, and I would not hesitate to use them if I was replacing mine again. The OEM fiber discs looked fine when I pulled them out , but I still replaced them. I can say that it definitely was the problem, since all of the moans/groans and slips have resolved: completely. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.