Honda VTX Forum banner

Any other lone wolves out there?

3K views 69 replies 61 participants last post by  bgreer 
#1 ·
I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather ride alone than in a group, or two up. I just enjoy riding. Once, I rode 74 miles to a bike fest and enjoyed the countryside so much, I just kept riding right past the fest.

I stop when I want to, I pee when I need to, and I've always felt that I'm in good company when I ride alone.

Most of the riders I see around here ride Harleys, dress in jeans, black sleeveless shirts, are all inked up, and usually wear a bandana or backwards baseball cap on their head. I don't fit that mold. I have no tatoos, wear full face helmet, armored jacket, armored bike pants, boots and gloves. Maybe I'm just an oddball, but I was wondering if there were any others out there like me?

See less See more
#3 ·
I enjoy riding by myself, but I really enjoy riding with others. Its fun to have stories to talk about with others and to have someone to talk to when on the road. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I like a nice, quiet, solo ride, but in general the more the merrier.

G
#4 ·
I don't like group riding...not even just one other bike. I spend all my effort keeping my eye on the other bikes. I like to get out on an open road away from other traffic as much as possible, and enjoy the countryside.

#5 ·
hey oddball. i will ride alone due to my schedule. also my old harley buddies ride old harleys and they don't trust their bikes for long rides, so i only get to ride with my vtx buddies when i have a common day off.

#6 ·
I am trying to tolorate group rides. My wife likes it. I don't. So I ride tail gun behind a two up Harley and my wife on a 750 Ace. Trying hard to keep up. I much prefer rideing alone and she knows it. So she sends me off on my own little run from time to time. We have small kids so a group ride requires a baby sitter and some planning. When it happens I don't gripe about it, at least I'm getting to ride. Got to keep the Momma person happy.

#7 ·
I rarely ride with anyone else, mainly due to my schedule. I usually can't plan much in advance to ride, and when I do I like to go my route at my pace.
However, it is nice to ride with others from time to time as long as the group isn't real big.
I guess I've always looked at one of the benefits of riding as the solitude of you and the bike going nowhere in particular and you get there whenever.

#8 ·
cantride4crap said:
I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather ride alone than in a group, or two up. I just enjoy riding. Once, I rode 74 miles to a bike fest and enjoyed the countryside so much, I just kept riding right past the fest.

I stop when I want to, I pee when I need to, and I've always felt that I'm in good company when I ride alone.

Most of the riders I see around here ride Harleys, dress in jeans, black sleeveless shirts, are all inked up, and usually wear a bandana or backwards baseball cap on their head. I don't fit that mold. I have no tatoos, wear full face helmet, armored jacket, armored bike pants, boots and gloves. Maybe I'm just an oddball, but I was wondering if there were any others out there like me?

You just described me. It's okay to ride with someone else every now and then, but I just like riding alone. I ride on the big red retro with a full-face helmet, armored jacket, gloves, boots, and no tats. I like to see other riders out enjoying the ride, but it's best just to ride alone.

#9 ·
I am a lone wolf also. In five years of riding I have never ridden with anybody. I like getting away from everything and just clearing my head.
My best day of riding is when I don't have nowhere to go and all day to get there. :)

#10 ·
cantride4crap said:

Ditto for all, except the armored pants, but if I could get some to match my Joe Rocket jacket...... :D

#11 ·
You got that right Farmer Blue. I have taken this X to places she was never ment to go and very few could follow. I get lost a lot. trying roads that I have never been down. Its getting to the point where I need 200mi to start looking for new roads. Yes she will go beyond the end of the road but she don't like it. On group rides it never happens. I have yet to get stuck in loose sand or mud because I take into account what I am rideing and the fact that I am alone. Not saying it won't happen. I should start a local map of the places where I have found the end of the road. I would not feel right takeing even a small group down cow trails. I don't do it very often but on group rides the road ends at the edge of the black top. I hate that.

#12 ·
I really like both, just depends on the mood I'm in at the time. I like to go in groups...but, I'm usually worn out when thru just due to feeling like I've got to watch out for everyone else all the time.

There are lots of time though that I just take off and where ever I end up so be it...just enjoy being on the bike and cruizing...

#13 ·
Always alone.

Armoured jacket, KBC F/U full face, MotoGP gloves, jeans, boots.

#14 ·
i ride alone,,not by choice as much as not really having free time that much

05 1800c ,,had it for 8 months now and just turned 500 miles on it
suxx :cry:

#15 ·
Group events usually mean spending a whole day to ride only a few miles and with people you have to be wary off. I like riding with just a few other bikes and going off exploring. 300 to 400 miles a day. And not having to be overly concerned about how they ride. Totally solo is ok but I do enjoy having company.

#16 ·
I love to ride alone. I just enjoy it so much better. I do how ever ride with my wife ever once in a while. But then I'm always worried about her and will she see that cager thats about to turn left in front of her. :shock:

#17 ·
I usually ride alone, can go when I want, where I want. Many of my riding buddies are self employed, they work lots of hours. I just do my 40 hours a week and I'm gone. Living alone also has its advantages.

I'm Ride Captain for the AMA club, riding alone gives me lots of opportunities to scout routes for the spring and fall rides.

G
#18 ·
I like both....a line of 30 bikes roaring down the road in perfect staggared formation is a thing of beauty, also getting off the beaton path and just doing your own thing is kewl too..

So i vote for both..

and i guess i dress up like halloween then , but i dare you to say it to my face...nothing wrong with my duds...i like em..

#21 ·
I ride alone mostly. Sometimes two-up but never in a group. None of my friends ride and I haven't built the level of trust I need to ride with anyone else. S'ok tho. I just got back into riding over the last few years so it may take some time. But I'm happy doing my thing. :D

#22 ·
TerrySC said:
Group events usually mean spending a whole day to ride only a few miles and with people you have to be wary off. I like riding with just a few other bikes and going off exploring. 300 to 400 miles a day. And not having to be overly concerned about how they ride. Totally solo is ok but I do enjoy having company.
Nice setup with that neat looking trailor.

#24 ·
So, Rickster, You don't dress like me, when you ride. I usualy wear my work clothes, [ Rented Splendor] I wear my Halloween costume when its cold enough or raneing, Indian Jacket and buffilo chaps. Hate to burst any ones carbon fiber bubble, Not saying tour stuff dosent work better, I just know what works for me. I have met you Rickster, I ante Scart of a little feller. LOL.

#26 ·
quietguy said:
TerrySC said:
Nice setup with that neat looking trailor.
Thanks, I like going camping too but don't want to trailer the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.