Tire wear on VTX1800F
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire wear on VTX1800F

Default Tire wear on VTX1800F

I have a 2005 1800F with about 9000 miles on it and the front tire is worn out already. It seems to have worn more quickly on the left half than the right which I have never had happen before. I'm religious about maintaining correct pressure and have always had the rear tire go before the front. Is 9000 miles normal wear for a radial tire? Has anyone experienced abnormal front tire wear on their VTX's and what are some normal mileage expectancies for radial tires on this type of bike. Thanks for any suggestions or imput/
    Carrier1307

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Tire wear on VTX1800F

Quote Originally Posted by carrier1307
    I have a 2005 1800F with about 9000 miles on it and the front tire is worn out already. It seems to have worn more quickly on the left half than the right which I have never had happen before. I'm religious about maintaining correct pressure and have always had the rear tire go before the front. Is 9000 miles normal wear for a radial tire? Has anyone experienced abnormal front tire wear on their VTX's and what are some normal mileage expectancies for radial tires on this type of bike. Thanks for any suggestions or imput/
    no i got 12400 on my tires and just today put the new ones on they would be for around town but road trips are planned
    BATTOO
    Mid South board #3

You got 1,000 more miles than I did. My mistake was running them at 33 PSI as per Honda Manual. What pressure did you keep in yours? Here is another thread with similar problem

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopi...light=#1390183
    2004 VTX-1800N3 Metalic Magenta
    GYTT 205/60/16
    Why don't you ever see the headline
    'Psychic Wins Lottery'?

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Common on all tires on all different bikes;
    http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Left side tire wear is sometimes just a result of riding on crowned roads. Its a common occurence.

I just bought an 02 C with only 2600 miles on it; showroom condition as you might guess; and 2 wks later took off on a road trip. I think I had taken it for its longest ride yet when we took a rest stop. Sitting with our coffees looking at the bikes I realized the front was cupped quite badly on the (yes) left side. PLus there was a cut or separation across the tire at the 'end' of the worst stretch of the cupped section; maybe a coincidence but that was a LOT of distortion to a very new tire. Pressure was about 31 when I got it and I put it at 33 as per manual.

So I got it changed on our first leg of the trip. 2800 miles from brand new. Didn't want to put a few thou miles on THAT tire.
    The bike shop only inflated the new one to 28 psi.... Good think I checked right away.

I would like to know what most guys are running for pressures now and the results? I am seeing 40; is this REALLY common?

My front tire wore extremely fast too. I noticed it was time to replace mine before 4000 miles. The wear seemed symetrical though. So I got another stock dunny because I don't want to mix-match my set. I am going with a pair of Avons next.
    Xpatch

Debt is normal. Be weird.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreRoadAhead
    I just bought an 02 C with only 2600 miles on it; showroom condition as you might guess; and 2 wks later took off on a road trip. I think I had taken it for its longest ride yet when we took a rest stop. Sitting with our coffees looking at the bikes I realized the front was cupped quite badly on the (yes) left side. PLus there was a cut or separation across the tire at the 'end' of the worst stretch of the cupped section; maybe a coincidence but that was a LOT of distortion to a very new tire. Pressure was about 31 when I got it and I put it at 33 as per manual.

So I got it changed on our first leg of the trip. 2800 miles from brand new. Didn't want to put a few thou miles on THAT tire.
    The bike shop only inflated the new one to 28 psi.... Good think I checked right away.

I would like to know what most guys are running for pressures now and the results? I am seeing 40; is this REALLY common?

I believe it is really common....at least with the folks here on the VTX board If you've been on this board for awhile and read all the posts about cupping tires, it is pretty easy to deduce that the Honda recommended air pressures are too low and have been a big contributor to the cupping problem. Luckily, I found the posts fairly early and was able to increase my tire pressures for the last 2 years and prolong the life of my tires a little, though I had already suffered some cupping from running the recommended front/rear air pressures. I now run 40 psi in the front and rear. I think you will find that a lot of folks who have kept up with the tire cupping discussions on this board, have gone to the 38 - 40 psi range on the front and rear, to help alleviate the cupping problem. After getting 9000 miles on my stock Dunlops, the rear was finally down to the wear bars and I replaced both the front and rear tires with the Dunlop Elite 3's. I'll be running 40 psi in the front and rear and will check them often.
    Silver 2003 1800 Retro

"Life itself is a risk.....just how much of a risk, is up to you!"

While my experience is not specifically with cycle tires, I did spend a number of years running Goodyear stores and managed a Regional Warehouse for Goodyear which handled the defective tires.

Known truths (based on my experience):

The tires from the factory are not the same quality tires you purchase retail. They will typically run 35-40% fewer miles.

The more carbon black present in the compound, the longer the tire will wear.

The higher the pressure, the longer the wear, unless of course your pressures are high enough to crown the tire, in which case you will experience wear in the center of the tire.

Cupping occurs as a result of the tire and rim not being properly balanced.

Never exceed mfg's max pressure.

Never plug a radial tire. There are radial patches that can be installed, but must be installed parallel to the plies.

Any distortion of the tread (i.e. warping) indicates a tread separation, (air between the body and the tread. Replace tire immediately.

Tires are cured at approximately 200 degrees. When tires are underinflated it is easy for the temperature to approach those temps at which the tire was assembled. When it does, the tire will come apart. Higher pressure = less heat buildup.

Again, I will qualify these statements as true of tires in general and based on my experience.
    Another observation. The problem with the Firestone tires about 10 years ago was a problem with Ford's recommended pressures on the Explorer. I owned one at the time 9both car and tires) and the recommended pressure was 23#. WAY too low for an SUV. See comment about tires coming apart at high temps.
    Regards,
    Slacker

'04 1800 Retro Spec 3

Albert Einstein - Life should be a simple as possible, but no simpler.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.