Honda VTX Forum banner

Lowers anyone?

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  ShowTime65 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a set of lowers that look good and actually work. The ratings I've read about Memphis Shades and Honda OM aren't consistent. Can anyone gie me an honest opinion on either of these two? Or any others? The buffeting doesn't bother me in the summer. But it's a little much in the cold mornings. I like the looks of the Honda OM lowers. Has anyone taken an existing bracket then cut their own plexiglass?

#3 ·
I've got the National Cycle Switchblade lowers... really happy with them, but they probably only make sense if you are going with one of the Switchblade windshields, as they use the same mounting brackets. The windshield is quick release... but the lowers are not however.

#4 ·
OK here you go, unless you buy the expensive lowers, everything else looks bad.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/vtx/p ... =828494965

Get the mounting kit for these lowers, it is like under $50.
then go to a plexi glass store and buy a couple of scrap, (times they will give them to you) pieces about 4" wide x about 12" long.
Cut them out with a jig saw to your desired look. Sand the edges smooth all the way up to 800 grit which will make the edges look nice and shiney.
So you can get custom lowers for around $50 and some elbow grease. Cut to your needs. I had the original memphis shades and hated the shape. they are now in my work bench as patterns for my new lowers.

#6 ·
Lowers

I bought the Jett Ink lowers for my R and they look great on the VTX. I was surprised at the amount of buffeting they reduced. I ride with a full helmet and face shield. I was told the buffeting is even less if you have a half helmet.

#7 ·
Good info. I have the OM windshield, so the NC's probably wont' work for me. The JettInks look pretty good. I like the chrome. They look the best of what is available in the web. To me, anyway. Not sure they are big enough or positioned to keep the strong updraft that is bugging me. It gets pretty severe at 80 mph +. The buffetting around my head and chest is minor and I can deal with that. But that up draft is a b _ _ _ . It tries to get under my jacket. Sometimes it's successful and blows it up like a balloon. I really like the cutting my own option. I like the idea of plexiglass to match my windshield. I think I'll try that route. Then go with the NC's if I don't like the outcome. Preacher, have you sampled different sizes to see what gives the best deflection?

#8 ·
My first ones were the big stock bug wings in the link. Still got a lot of wind that came up around the tank. Took those off and made some others that was about half the width. Not wide enough, too much buffeting, the second group I extended all the way up to the turn sigs, made about a 1/4 inch narrower than the orignials and took them all the way down to the fork tube covers. Made a nice dagger look.
all in all Plexi is cheap for the sizes you need. Make two the same and see what you like.

#9 ·
#12 ·
I bought the Jett Ink lowers some time ago. They amazingly reduced most of the buffeting and draft and was very happy. But aside from being polished on only one side (you can't really see that when mounted), they had another problem for me.

My Spec-3 model has slip-on chrome covers on the forks that rotate 360 degrees (which I didn't know), which allows the lowers to slowly slip and fold back while underway. The adds said that they fit ALL Retro models. They've changed that since. So if you have those chrome covers over the forks, you'll have to figure out another way to hold them in place. Oh, and please don't flame me for saying this, but, those big chrome lowers can really blind other drivers when the sun is out. I've seen that first hand. In fact, I've been told that I'm #1 by various hand gestures from that very thing.

I then bought the Hondaline Lowers which mount under the headlight. They look pretty good, but the lowers are a bit smaller. They don't work as well as the Jett Ink lowers did (when they weren't folded back, that is). I thought about cutting plexi using the Jett Ink as a template and then installing them on the Hondaline mounts. However, that's all I've done---is just think about it. Almost a years gone by. I hope this helps.

-Jay

#13 ·
I bought the Jett Ink lowers some time ago. They amazingly reduced most of the buffeting and draft and was very happy. But aside from being polished on only one side (you can't really see that when mounted), they had another problem for me.

My Spec-3 model has slip-on chrome covers on the forks that rotate 360 degrees (which I didn't know), which allows the lowers to slowly slip and fold back while underway. The ads said that they fit ALL Retro models. They've changed that since. So if you have those chrome covers over the forks, you'll have to figure out another way to hold them in place. Oh, and please don't flame me for saying this, but, those big chrome lowers can really blind other drivers when the sun is out. I've seen that first hand. In fact, I've been told that I'm #1 by various hand gestures from that very thing.

I then bought the Hondaline Lowers which mount under the headlight. They look pretty good, but the lowers are a bit smaller. They don't work as well as the Jett Ink lowers did (when they weren't folded back, that is). I thought about cutting plexi using the Jett Ink as a template and then installing them on the Hondaline mounts. However, that's all I've done---is just think about it. Almost a years gone by. I hope this helps.

-Jay

#14 ·
Olddognewtrick said:

My Spec-3 model has slip-on chrome covers on the forks that rotate 360 degrees (which I didn't know), which allows the lowers to slowly slip and fold back while underway. The adds said that they fit ALL Retro models. They've changed that since. So if you have those chrome covers over the forks, you'll have to figure out another way to hold them in place. Oh, and please don't flame me for saying this, but, those big chrome lowers can really blind other drivers when the sun is out. I've seen that first hand. In fact, I've been told that I'm #1 by various hand gestures from that very thing.

-Jay
This is what I did with my Honda line lower bracket..........

#15 ·
ShowTime, I'm a little confused. Did you make those lowers and put them on the honda mount? If so, where can you buy plexiglas to do that with? I'm not tickled with the Memphis Shades lowers either.

#17 ·
Orange Crush/GJC said:
ShowTime, I'm a little confused. Did you make those lowers and put them on the honda mount? If so, where can you buy plexiglas to do that with? I'm not tickled with the Memphis Shades lowers either.
Greg, yes I made those. Those lowers were my original Honda boulevard shield I had up top. I cut it in half, and then took about 1 1/2 or so from each piece along the center lines first cut. Then positioned them on the bike for my eye appeal and function. Rounded the upper and lower ends of the cut, and transfered the mounting holes to the Honda lower bracket. If you look close, you can see where I filled the old mounting holes with chrome plugs that I got at the hardware store.

Steve

#18 ·
That's what I love about this forum, all the creativity and great ideas.

ShowTime56, that's what I had in mind, except it wouldn't have turned out as nice as yours! Mine would have been just plexi clones of the Jett Ink's. Looks good!

-Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.