Honda VTX Forum banner

How to install new starter switch housing

476 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Wilby41 
#1 ·
Okay, I bought a new starter switch housing due to intermitent headlight not working before I researched how to fix/clean the starter button. Now that I have the new housing, I'm not exactly sure how to install it.

The housing (clam shell) is held together by 2 screws. Not sure if I can separate and remove the shells with the master cylinder attached. Do I need to remove the master cylinder first?

Once I remove the starter housing, I'm not sure how to remove the throttle cables. The look like they are threaded into the housing. If so, how do you remove? Also, are the cables attached somehow to the housing on the inside?

I have a service manual, but it doesn't go into enough detail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

#2 ·
You don't have to remove the master to get the switch off, the throttles are the pita, it is easier (for me to do it) to remove the throttles from the carb which means removing the tank, pulling the cables up off the frame holders and removing the assy. from the bars, you also have to unplug the wiring from inside the headlight , it is a 9 pin red connector and pull the wireing up thru the bars. Disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle sleeve,then the switch can be removed, remove the cables from the switch housing, one has an adjuster on it and that unscrews and the cable pulls out, the other one you have to unscrew the cable I have done it 6 or 7 times and takes me about 1.5 hrs. Some people can get the throttle cables off the throttle sleeve without removing them from the carb, but I usually have too much trouble and have damaged the cables trying it that way. Hope that wasn't too confusing

#3 ·
How to install new starter switch

I just did this on my 03' I didn't remove the cables I replaced the guts and bottom part then put it back togeather. If you remove the cables you have to reset everything. Bad move unless you'er a real good motorcycle mechanic. I hope this helps, it took me about half hour to do.

Roadslave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.