Honda VTX Forum banner

FRUSTRATION! I can't relocate my front turn...

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Peter D 
#1 ·
Aghhh! I was going to install a set of Nat Cycle light bars on my "T" but it is impossible to relocate the front turn signal assembly to the lower part of the forks. They take with them a good 2 1/2" of fork cover, living a huge area of the aluminum part of the fork exposed.
Has anyone done something to solve this?
It looks like I'm going to have to change to a different light bars brand.
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I have that same problem with my Spec 3F. I haven't bought any lightbars yet but I do know that I will have a problem if I have to relocate my turn signals. I just ordered some National Cycle Palidin highway bars and I'm thinking about mounting lights on the crash bar just to get away from the turn signal problem.

#3 ·
I have that same problem with my Spec 3F. I haven't bought any lightbars yet but I do know that I will have a problem if I have to relocate my turn signals. I just ordered some National Cycle Palidin highway bars and I'm thinking about mounting lights on the crash bar just to get away from the turn signal problem.
That sounds good to me. It may be a less painful option for me too. On the other side, I am not too crazy about all the lights together in one spot, for looks sake.

#5 ·
That sounds good to me. It may be a less painful option for me too. On the other side, I am not too crazy about all the lights together in one spot, for looks sake.
From a safety aspect it's better if they're not in line with your headlight. You get more visibillity if you hang them from the crash bar IMO. The cagers can see you better if the lights are spread out a little bit.

#6 ·
this problem is not new...conflics of position happens alot between these two add on's

even honda 's shield and there light bar which i have..got the shield first
then the honda light bar..i cheated i mounted the light bar under the bottom tree not on top of bottom tree...relocated the blinkers as instructed to bottom of light bar..
to this day..i still have to loosen the top lights ,bend them down a little to get shield on..i have to tuck bottom of shield under the head light first...then in...its a pain..but i rarely put shield on.. here is my pick..i dont have the shield mount bracket on here...

#7 ·
just make an L bracket out of a piece of sturdy stock and mount them to the bottom of the light bar, i put mine below the driving lights, that came with my light bar, orderd the up front package from hal , got the windshield, light bar, and chrome lowers, all in one package, had to modify the windshield brackets because mine bike is a spec 3 , and the turn signals set a little behind the light bar, so i mounted them under it so they would be more noticable.........don

take them apart and just use the stim and light and wire, put the clamp parts to the side for later use.......

#8 ·
just make an L bracket out of a piece of sturdy stock and mount them to the bottom of the light bar, i put mine below the driving lights, that came with my light bar, orderd the up front package from hal , got the windshield, light bar, and chrome lowers, all in one package, had to modify the windshield brackets because mine bike is a spec 3 , and the turn signals set a little behind the light bar, so i mounted them under it so they would be more noticable.........don

take them apart and just use the stim and light and wire, put the clamp parts to the side for later use.......
Good piece of advice both of you. The problem with the "T" is that when I try to remove the turn signals there comes a piece of the fork cover with them, living an empty(hollow) space underneaths the turn signals.
Relocating them is not the problem. The problem is covering that gap they have left behind.

#9 ·
Good piece of advice both of you. The problem with the "T" is that when I try to remove the turn signals there comes a piece of the fork cover with them, living an empty(hollow) space underneaths the turn signals.
Relocating them is not the problem. The problem is covering that gap they have left behind.
This problem is common to the spec 2 and spec 3 models which have extra bling on the fork tubes. My old C model was a spec 1 and didn't have this problem.

#10 ·
I got the Showchrome light bar, and didn't have to relocate the turn signals ...
I REALLY LOVE IT WHEN AN R person types that... I think everytime that happens an angel gets his wings... :evil: just keep telling yourself the T is just an R the T is just an R... gezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... anyway..

I forget who told me but if was from this board, the guy was a lifesaver and no it wasn't spike.... if you put your light bar under the forks instead of on the top it works, not great but it works. you gotta get some spacers and longer bolts but it will sorta kinda almost works. I also replaced the lights with smaller lights, I'm guessing 3 1/2 instead of 4 or 4 and 1/2 dia. good luck My kids really hate the wing, they keep telling me I traded in a REALLY COOL bike for an oldman's bike :doorag: :yikes:

#13 ·
I was wondering if any body out there had the "T". I guess my quest is done. We love ours, hope you do too.:bowdown:
Yeah! Lets make a a "T" forum to talk about the changes made to the retro in the last few years.

#14 ·
As for the turn signal issue it isn't just a "T" problem. It is a problem with any model that is Spec 2 or Spec 3. There is a chrome cover between the bottom of the tripple tree and the top of the turn signal houshing. The chrome tube does not extend down under where the turn signal housing is located. There is a bare spot on the fork tubes when you remove the turn signals. It looks like chit, how do you cover it? :dontknow:
That is Caballo Loco's question.

#15 ·
I had the light bar for awhile but after spending a lot of time buffing all of the aluminum, I would get mad cause I couldn't clean and polish the lower tree very well.
So I made this set up.
Now I have no trouble with my lower shield or turn signal and it cleaned the front end up very nicely.

#16 ·
As for the turn signal issue it isn't just a "T" problem. It is a problem with any model that is Spec 2 or Spec 3. There is a chrome cover between the bottom of the tripple tree and the top of the turn signal houshing. The chrome tube does not extend down under where the turn signal housing is located. There is a bare spot on the fork tubes when you remove the turn signals. It looks like chit, how do you cover it? :dontknow:
That is Caballo Loco's question.
A friend told me Kuryakin makes a sleeve that covers that area if one needs to remove the turn signal, but I haven' checked that out yet.

#18 ·
I had the light bar for awhile but after spending a lot of time buffing all of the aluminum, I would get mad cause I couldn't clean and polish the lower tree very well.
So I made this set up.
Now I have no trouble with my lower shield or turn signal and it cleaned the front end up very nicely.
That is a cool idea you had to cut holes in your windsheild for the lights,But what does it do for the wind comming through?

#20 ·
Two other options:

1. Honda makes a chrome fork tube covers that replace the shorter ones, which fully fill the length between the triple trees. Do a search, someone recently posted the Hondaline part number.
2. I moved my signals on my F to my lightbar, and merely moved the right side clamp to the left tube (pointing in instead of out), and the left clamp on the right side. Sits behind the windshield and lightbar, so while it covers the tube as before, it is hardly noticeable.

Regards,

Mark

#21 ·
Yes Honda does make the part that fits in between. What I did before I knew that the part was available was I polished up the old turn signal piece that came out of that slot and put it back on to cover that gap and on the round end that the original turn signal came from I put the end from my original honda hand grips. It did not look bad. You could put some sort of round reflector in the space to. Since than I have replace it with the piece from Honda. They do not show a picture but that is it.

Peter De

#23 ·
That'sthem. I did install mine already. They are hard to work with because there is not alot of space to get your hands in there to make them stick. The tape is very sticky and once you stick it, it is stuck. I got lucky when I installed them. Good luck. Make sure the lines are on the side not in front when you install them.

Peter De

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.