Why is my 1300 running rough? Please help!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is my 1300 running rough? Please help!

Default Why is my 1300 running rough? Please help!

I have a 2004 Honda VTX 1300 R with only 3000 miles on it. I admit, I do not ride it as much as I should. Everytime I do ride it, I run all the gas out of the carb. The last month or so, when I start it and run it, it stutters and gasps when I apply full throttle in almost any gear. I have checked and replaced the plugs and just today filler her up with nice new gas. Since I owned it, I added V and H pipes and rejetted when I lived in Houston. Now, I live in El Paso which is higher elevation but it has not always dones this. Any ideas? Think carb is gummed up?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

It would be a good place to start. Carbs that are run dry but the float bowls left full, develop gum/varnish rapidly. If you are going to continue that process I suggest adding a bit of "Seafoam" to the tank beforehand and let that run through the carb before shutting it down.

Try some Techron Fuel System Cleaner, if that doesn't clean it all out, then you gotta take the carb apart for proper cleaning

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike
    Carbs that are run dry but the float bowls left full, develop gum/varnish rapidly.
    Now I'm worried. I took advice from someone on this board and turned off the fuel and let the engine die the last time I rode mine (December). Do you think I'll get varnish build up? Should I start it up and run gas through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago-Spike
    It would be a good place to start. Carbs that are run dry but the float bowls left full, develop gum/varnish rapidly. If you are going to continue that process I suggest adding a bit of "Seafoam" to the tank beforehand and let that run through the carb before shutting it down.

Try some Techron Fuel System Cleaner, if that doesn't clean it all out, then you gotta take the carb apart for proper cleaning
    I don't know about the gumming being worse if it's run dry, but I've owned 4 bikes, and never once intentionally ran the gas out of any of them. One of them (when I lived in a colder climate) used to sit all for at least 3 or 4 months straight each winter, and I never had any problems whatsoever.

I never added any type of winterizing chemical to the gas during storage, either. All of my lawnmowers have always gone through the same procedure - just park for the winter, and crank back up next spring.

Eddie
    2004 Red 1300S, Clayton Mod, Ultim. LowRider w/ Driv & Pass Backrests, wishmasterg Riser, Cobra Eng Grd w/ Floorbrds, Pass. Floorbrds, Honda Dlx Sissy Bar&Dlx Luggage Rack, Lightbar, 19" Memphis Wndshld, Memphis Lowers, TourMaster Zipper-Removable Bags, HDL Fender Tip, Chrome V-Radiator, Freeway Blasters, Turn Signal Beeper, Remote-Controlled LED Lighting, Backoff Module, X-Hinge, Garmin 2610 GPS

Fuel back even a few years ago, didn't have all these additives. The additives make the fuel less stabil than it should be and turns to varnish in a relatively short while. It is even worse up here in the mid west. It wouldn't hurt to clean out the carb, starting with a tank additive like Techron

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Due to your practice of letting the carb bowl empty out I would bet that you have a stuck float.
    2005 1300C, Mustang seat, JCW Floorboards, Memphis shades windshield and lowers, Harley Softail mufflers, leather bags, cobra mini-backrest with oem helmet lock added, 1800S handlebars, Motorcycletunes speakers, Peacefulcruisin tank bib with ipod pocket, 140 db 12v horn, vista-cruise.

If you use the choke allot it is very possable that the plugs are fouled...been there done that...more than once
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3860&dateline=1226248  568

I let mine sit the first winter I had it and when I crancked it the next spring it was running like that. I got to looking and all of my factory vacum lines were cracked and busted. I change those out and my problem was fixed. As far as running the gas out? There is no need to do that but if it is going to sit awhile stabil or seafoam will definitely help, but if it doesn't sit for 6 months or longer you shouldn't need anything. I'm just like eddie. I don't do anything to any of my equipment just turn it off in fall and crank it in spring. But I would definitely check the vacum lines.
    Money can help with happiness but it won't make it perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by curve10780
    There is no need to do that but if it is going to sit awhile stabil or seafoam will definitely help, but if it doesn't sit for 6 months or longer you shouldn't need anything. .
    This is not true in all places in the US. Up here in the mid west gas will start going stale in as little as 4 weeks with no stabilizer in it. This is due to all the crap the politicians have the fuel companies add to the fuel. Don't believe me, just call any motorcycle, lawn mower, farm machinery shop and ask them what they see the most of. They will all tell you, carb rebuilds due to gas going bad.
    Since we don't know where the original poster is from, I suggested the carbs being gummed up because that is what my area is most familiar with being the problem.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Our gas here in WV goes funky pretty dern quick! It gets that characteristic sour mop water smell to it and dark amber varnis will be forming on surfaces. Its easier to avoid than it is to clean-up. Stabil works. Like Spike said, Techroline seems to be the best cleaner additive. Checking for deteriorated vacuum lines is good to. Your '04 should not have a fuel pump, but does have a vacuum line to operate the gravity feed fuel valve -- loss of vacuum could give you fuel starvation.

prs
    "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

2004C

Either way, I don't think it will hurt to add Stabil to the gas tank in the winter months. A big bottle costs under $10 in Walmart and you only need 2 ounces per VTX gas tank. Considering the amount of riding that people (who live in places with real winter) do, it won't cost you much.
    '04 1300C Red

Minding my own business since 1975.

First of all, THANK YOU for all of the replies.

I am going to run out to the store today and get some Techron Fuel System Cleaner. Thanks for the advice on that. Hopefully that will clean it out. That is interesting about the run dry/not run dry stuff. I was also told to run it dry to prevent gumming in carbs, so much for that theory as my carbs are gummed up now! I always did that with my dirt bikes also, and did have a gummed up carb there as well.

In reference to the possibility of a stuck bowl, only way to unstick it is to take carb apart, right?

I will also check vaccum lines.

It is really strange. It will run, but man full throttle and she stutters. I will keep you posted after I get the techron and see what happens when I run that through.

Thanks again and safe riding!

Default fuel trouble

I agree with the first guy that suggested the sea foam I sold it for about 12 years and it is the best fuel system cleaner I have ever come across The day I started selling it I put 2 cans in the wifes car one into the tank and poured the other through the carb with the engine idled up when I got almost empty in the can I choked the engine down with the remainder of the seafoam and let it sit for about 10 minutes. This little car was running great before adding the seafoam but after I cranked it back up and cleared out the engine the wife went on a little run with the car around 40 miles or so when she returned she said she noticed the car ran better than it ever had. I have used it for years myself not to fix any problems but to keep from having any about every 2 months i add some to all my engines and dont have any fuel problems at all.

05 1300r

Split that bottle over 3 tankfills(add 1/3 of a bottle per tank fill-up)
    I do this once a year on my bike to keep it clean inside

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Finally had to take it to the dealer. Turns out the difference in altitutude from the move is causing it to run way too rich and that is why the plugs were fouled and it ran so bad. What irritates me, is that when I lived in Houston I paid to install a jet kit. This shop says the jet kit was never installed. Its hard to know whats really happening and who is right.

The old addage is if you are paying for work to be done then you need to request the old parts up front before the work is done. This way you keep them alittle more honest because they have to return old parts when requested. Also keep all reciepts so if you run into a problem in the future you can pursue legal action against those clowns.
    San Diego, Ca.

2006 VTX 1300C Candy Black Cherry
    Memphis Shades Big Shot, Ultimate Midrider Seat, Large Slant Bags with Easy Brackets, CTR,
    Brake Away Cruise Control

Quote Originally Posted by snagg30341
    Finally had to take it to the dealer. Turns out the difference in altitutude from the move is causing it to run way too rich and that is why the plugs were fouled and it ran so bad. What irritates me, is that when I lived in Houston I paid to install a jet kit. This shop says the jet kit was never installed. Its hard to know whats really happening and who is right.
    If your bike does indeed have the stock jetting yet, there is not a reason in the world why it should be running rich at 3700' IMO. I am at 2500' & regularly ride in the Black Hills (3500-7000') as well as going to the Rockies, Bighorns, Sierra Nevadas, etc., etc. It does run richer in the really high mountains, but never rich enough to foul any plugs. Are you sure that your choke knob & the 90 degree bend into the carb is staying where it should when not using the choke?
    03 Retro,Honda lightbar & windshield,Honda backrest & rack,Ultimate seat,Leatherlyke saddlebags,HK Kickers,MC Enterprise crashbar,hidden hitch

Yes, choke is a-ok as is 90 degree. I live at almost 4500-5000'. The jet in the carb was a 195 main jet and they say I need about 190 or 185 for this altitude. The old shop in Houston sent a new main jet, but that is not the same as a total re-jet, no needles, etc. I am thinking of just biting the bullet and having them rejet it up here so I have a local place to take it back with and atleast the bike will be modified to run as correct as possible for this location. What do you think? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by snagg30341
    What do you think?
    Depends how much faith you have in the shop. If they're going to stick with it and get it right - it may be worth it for you. BUT - most shops will throw in a jet and call it "jetted" and send you on you merry way with the same propblem or worse. I don't see how they can make a blanket statement with the "you need a 190 or 185 at this elevation". I dont have any problems riding up in the mountains north of here, and I'm running a 198.
    IMO - learn how to do it yourself. Nobody's going to take an interest in your bike like you will (or should).
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic173_1.gif
    '04 1300 C, black, RIP
    '04 1300 C, orange, for now
    shut up and ride

[quote="snagg30341"]Yes, choke is a-ok as is 90 degree. I live at almost 4500-5000'. The jet in the carb was a 195 main jet and they say I need about 190 or 185 for this altitude. The old shop in Houston sent a new main jet, but that is not the same as a total re-jet, no needles, etc. I am thinking of just biting the bullet and having them rejet it up here so I have a local place to take it back with and atleast the bike will be modified to run as correct as possible for this location. What do you think? Thanks![/quote] Sorry, I looked up El Paso,TX on Google Earth & it said it was 3700'.
    03 Retro,Honda lightbar & windshield,Honda backrest & rack,Ultimate seat,Leatherlyke saddlebags,HK Kickers,MC Enterprise crashbar,hidden hitch

Default spit n' spudder

STABIL STABIL STABIL ALL THE TIME USE IT WHEN YOU FILL UP BEFORE YOU PUT IT TO SLEEP. NEVER NEED TO WORRY. i LIVE IN pA. AND RIDE EVEN IN THE SNOW BEFOR THEY SALT. NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN STARTING OR RIDING.

Thanks for all of the replies and all of the help. Talke with the dealer, they are going to totally re-jet with new jet kit, add K and N, and then tune it correctly to the new airfilter, new jet kit/pipes, and altitude. Seems like an honest shop and they never put the pressure on to buy stuff. This just seems like the right way to get it done correctly and then I can get it out and enjoy it, like I should!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.