How do I put Iron on patches on leather.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I put Iron on patches on leather.

Default How do I put Iron on patches on leather.

Can anyone tell me the procedure for putting Iron-on patches on leather. I've got a large "VTX mask" patch for the back of my vest and I want to do it right. The patch came with no instructions and I don't think I want to stitch it to the leather. Any help? As an off roader all my life, (I just bought an 05 VTX 1800F) I don't have any experience with leather. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Has to be stitched on, iron on's don't stay on leather.
    "Photographers see more than others, not because they have better eyes, but because their eyes are always open."

One guy on here said he uses gorilla glue , I used a flexible leather glue that I got at tandys now Im not saying try it Im just saying its worked for me ,. Good luck.
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudeism

I looked into this same thing some months ago. What i found was ..glue or stich. glue will mess up a good jkt or vest and stiching will mess up a good vest or jkt.

I have a leather jkt that I just love it is so thick it will stand up on it's own ! I got it in New Orleans some years ago, it has sentamental(sp) value.
    I will not glue nor stich on it. I bought a vest kinda cheep to put patches and pins on.
    I know I didn't help any
    I'm an Ex X owner !
    Watch cages with their left blinker on !

Quote Originally Posted by haveme1
    I looked into this same thing some months ago. What i found was ..glue or stich. glue will mess up a good jkt or vest and stiching will mess up a good vest or jkt.

I have a leather jkt that I just love it is so thick it will stand up on it's own ! I got it in New Orleans some years ago, it has sentamental(sp) value.
    I will not glue nor stich on it. I bought a vest kinda cheep to put patches and pins on.
    I know I didn't help any
    Well I can certainly appreciate your take on this, I dont dress up when I ride so everything is expendable.

I checked with a shoe repair shop. He had a sign in his window...
    Leather sewing and repair. I need to take my patches in with my vest for a price, but he said probably not a bunch of cash
    06' 1300 C/R... With lots of mods

Yeah, one of the dry cleaners here will sew patches on for $4 for the smaller ones and up to $10 for some of the bigger ones.

Better for me...sewed a small..2x4 patch on my vest, by hand, and it took me close to an hour.
    I do not want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying.http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/
    05 1300 N, HK 3, CP Punishers, custom paint, full fairing, Michelin HydraEdge 205/65/16, Tsukayu bags

DO NOT use super glue. Don't ask me how I know but it will eat leather.

Sew it on. The glue will breakdown quickly.
    Mike McCormick
    Gibsonton, Florida

MTF /IBA#30230/AMA/SCRC#294

The BLOG! http://bankshotvtx.blogspot.com

My website...http://mysite.verizon.net/ressu5d2/bankshot/

Quote Originally Posted by wildabouthorses
    Has to be stitched on, iron on's don't stay on leather.
    +1

Find a seamstress or seamster or whatever the correct term would be to sow it on. You will be happy you did. A taylor that sows leather would work too!
    Marc

Sorry I didn't get back right away... I took the advice of the majority and had the patches sewn on. Took it to a taylor and they charged $10 for a large (10 X 12) and $4 for smaller ones. It looks great, very professional. So good that I had to take the 101 Mile Drive (Rim of the World Highway) thru the San Bernardino Mountains today. Lots of bikes in Big Bear, even saw a great looking red VTX 1300C.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranniedoc
    Sorry I didn't get back right away... I took the advice of the majority and had the patches sewn on. Took it to a taylor and they charged $10 for a large (10 X 12) and $4 for smaller ones. It looks great, very professional. So good that I had to take the 101 Mile Drive (Rim of the World Highway) thru the San Bernardino Mountains today. Lots of bikes in Big Bear, even saw a great looking red VTX 1300C.
    Thanks again.
    Glad you had a harmonius outcome.

I sew and do leather work. The best way to put patches on is by sewing. If they have that iron on crap on the back, make sure you iron it on some cheap piece of fabric so the glue won't get on the leather. Using glue on a patch is the best way to ruin a piece of leather.

It doesn't take a special sewing machine to put patches on. If you want to hand sew the patches, get some glover's needles. They are much easier to use, but still a difficult way to go.

For those of you who have taken sewn patches off leather, get some good leather conditioner and soak the little holes. Keep soaking them and gently tug at the leather. As the conditioner works into the leather, the leather expands and the holes will either disappear or become less visible.

For those of you with damage to your leather from glue, I'm sorry, but the only way to "fix" it is to put another patch over it. You can get the excess glue off, but it usually takes the surface of the leather off with it. You can try to re-dye it, but the damage is permanent.

'06 VTX1300c with extra stuff
    There are many realities. Choose yours. Leave mine alone.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.