Honda VTX Forum banner

How do you signal a fellow biker of radar ahead?

4K views 64 replies 41 participants last post by  ncbflo 
#1 ·
So I'm riding home from work today and see a cruiser (police cruiser) on the side of the road clocking speeds from vehicles coming from the other direction. I go around a curve and see a cruiser (motorcycle cruiser) coming at a good clip and am pretty sure he's speeding.

I want to signal him that there's a cruiser with radar around the corner. If I were in my car, I'd flash the hi beam/low beam a couple of times (I know..it may not be legal but I wanna help a guy out). However, on my VTX, I'm not sure how to signal. I hit my hi/lo beam a couple of times and the other biker gives me the low wave. I don't know if he even saw the beam change since it was broad daylight or figured out what I was trying to say.

Is there a hand signal or something to warn another biker when there's a radar trap ahead? Now, I have a great deal of respect for the law and appreciate all that the men in blue do for us...but...I just wanna help a fellow biker out. :wink:

#27 ·
Glennok said:
Chicago-Spike said:
I never do, it's their own fault and they deserve the ticket if they are breaking the speed limit. Would you still warn them if they were speeding when they hit a child crossing the street? Or maybe hit another biker turning left and they couldn't stop because they were speeding?
Speeding is an EPIDEMIC and needs to be stopped.
Never will warn someone if I see a cop doing his job protecting me and my family
That's a sheety attitude. I think people who drive significantly lower than the speed limit are a bigger threat. Do you think a speed limit is some magical number that will let you motor safely?

I may be more respectful of speed limits if they didn't let retards set them in the first place.
Then don't speed near my house in my state. Maybe you should ride along for a few months during the summer months and see what speeders can do to a child on a bike, or a jogger, or a grandmother walking her dog. Listen to the mother of that child wailing only 10 feet from you while she watches you do chest compressions on her 12 yr old. Yeah, leave speeders alone, great attitude you have :roll: Speeders kill, limits are set for safety and a speed that a reasonable person can stop to aviod causing wrecks.

G
#28 ·
Chicago-Spike said:
Glennok said:
[quote="Chicago-Spike":1tczrw8d]I never do, it's their own fault and they deserve the ticket if they are breaking the speed limit. Would you still warn them if they were speeding when they hit a child crossing the street? Or maybe hit another biker turning left and they couldn't stop because they were speeding?
Speeding is an EPIDEMIC and needs to be stopped.
Never will warn someone if I see a cop doing his job protecting me and my family
That's a sheety attitude. I think people who drive significantly lower than the speed limit are a bigger threat. Do you think a speed limit is some magical number that will let you motor safely?

I may be more respectful of speed limits if they didn't let retards set them in the first place.
Then don't speed near my house in my state. Maybe you should ride along for a few months during the summer months and see what speeders can do to a child on a bike, or a jogger, or a grandmother walking her dog. Listen to the mother of that child wailing only 10 feet from you while she watches you do chest compressions on her 12 yr old. Yeah, leave speeders alone, great attitude you have :roll: Speeders kill, limits are set for safety and a speed that a reasonable person can stop to aviod causing wrecks.[/quote:1tczrw8d]

Your argument doesn't hold water with me. Yes, a child getting hit by a car is horrible, NO MATTER WHAT SPEED the car was traveling, but most accidents are attributable to things like inattention and going too fast for conditions. Yeah, I know that if they believe someone was speeding, that's all you hear about. Kind of like when there's a bike accident and the first thing they tell you is whether the rider was wearing a helmet or not.

No, we don't want people going 80mph through town, but would a 40mph speed limit be worse than a 35mph speed limit? Most times not. How many times have you driven through a section of road and wondered why the speed limit is so low? I can tell you that in my town there is no rhyme nor reason why some speed limits are set where they're at, and in fact traffic would flow better if some of the speed limits were set a bit higher. Then you have people driving 5-10mph under the speed limit side-by-side so that no one can pass. I'd say the biggest contributor to accidents is NOT speeding, it's people who seem to be in their own little world and don't pay attention to anything going on around them.

#31 ·
I always try to warn others of speed traps. Thats just what they are; traps. They are not designed to increase safety; they are only designed to increase revenue. What is safer, to allow traffic to just flow freely, or to have multiple cars pulled over to the side of the road, blue lights flashing, people in both directions slamming on their brakes, rubbernecking, swerving to avoid the guy in front of them who just slammed on his brakes, etc.....

Visible police presence does nothing but cause more congestion, restrict traffic flow, and cause more traffic hazards. It does not increase safety. Likewise, travelling strictly at the posted speed limit does not increase safety either. Now I'm not saying it's okay to drive 100 MPH through Spike's neighborhood, that is irresponsible. But to just assume that "the government knows whats best for me and came up with these magic speed limits for a reason" is simply naive and stupid.

The entire system is corrupt. Do you know who pays for the Police's Radar guns? Insurance companies. Do they do this to try to make the roads safer? No, they do it so that the police will be obligated to use the "donated" equipment, give out more speeding tickets by "trapping" motorists, thereby increasing insurance premiums so that the inurance companies make more money. It' simply a money game. Speed limits have nothing to do with safety.

Speed limits are supposed to be set by doing a traffic survey on a particular stretch of road to see how fast the average motorist travels. The actual speed limit is supposed to be set to the speed at which 85 percent of the vehicles surveyed were traveling, or the 85th percentile. In this way, speed limits are appropriately set to what speed the general public feels is safe and reasonable. However, most times when they set up a traffic survey, the police just happen to decide that they should put one of those mobile radar signs on the same stretch of road. You know, the ones that tell you your speed in big flashing numbers? So what does this do? It artificially reduces the 85th percentile speed. Those signs influence people to slow down, instinctively. Now, once the survey is completed with the rigged data and the speed limit is set well below the actual 85th percentile, the radar sign is removed. Now the town knows exactly where to go when they need a little spending money. Speed trap time. It is a fact that well over the supposed 15% of of the vehicles on that road will be "speeding". Probably closer to 50% or more. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

This is why I fight every single speeding ticket I ever get. And if I lose in court, I appeal it. Never go down without a fight. They do not deserve your money. It is all a scam behind a flimsy facade of safety.

Be safe,

-Dave

#32 ·
madbull2 said:
I always try to warn others of speed traps. Thats just what they are; traps. They are not designed to increase safety; they are only designed to increase revenue. What is safer, to allow traffic to just flow freely, or to have multiple cars pulled over to the side of the road, blue lights flashing, people in both directions slamming on their brakes, rubbernecking, swerving to avoid the guy in front of them who just slammed on his brakes, etc.....

Visible police presence does nothing but cause more congestion, restrict traffic flow, and cause more traffic hazards. It does not increase safety. Likewise, travelling strictly at the posted speed limit does not increase safety either. Now I'm not saying it's okay to drive 100 MPH through Spike's neighborhood, that is irresponsible. But to just assume that "the government knows whats best for me and came up with these magic speed limits for a reason" is simply naive and stupid.

The entire system is corrupt. Do you know who pays for the Police's Radar guns? Insurance companies. Do they do this to try to make the roads safer? No, they do it so that the police will be obligated to use the "donated" equipment, give out more speeding tickets by "trapping" motorists, thereby increasing insurance premiums so that the inurance companies make more money. It' simply a money game. Speed limits have nothing to do with safety.

Speed limits are supposed to be set by doing a traffic survey on a particular stretch of road to see how fast the average motorist travels. The actual speed limit is supposed to be set to the speed at which 85 percent of the vehicles surveyed were traveling, or the 85th percentile. In this way, speed limits are appropriately set to what speed the general public feels is safe and reasonable. However, most times when they set up a traffic survey, the police just happen to decide that they should put one of those mobile radar signs on the same stretch of road. You know, the ones that tell you your speed in big flashing numbers? So what does this do? It artificially reduces the 85th percentile speed. Those signs influence people to slow down, instinctively. Now, once the survey is completed with the rigged data and the speed limit is set well below the actual 85th percentile, the radar sign is removed. Now the town knows exactly where to go when they need a little spending money. Speed trap time. It is a fact that well over the supposed 15% of of the vehicles on that road will be "speeding". Probably closer to 50% or more. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

This is why I fight every single speeding ticket I ever get. And if I lose in court, I appeal it. Never go down without a fight. They do not deserve your money. It is all a scam behind a flimsy facade of safety.

Be safe,

-Dave
yeah it's all a conspiracy by THE MAN to beat us all down and get our hard earned money.......

NOT!

I have never understood where this negative/defeatist/conspiracy attitude came from. I hear it all the time and I think "what a freakin retard!"

Wake up dude! Surely there are some of our beloved lawmakers that caress the hand of lobbyists for the next campaign donation. Although sometimes the way they go about it defies logic, I bet that more often than not, lawmakers really do have our safety at heart.

#34 ·
Poison said:
If you line your helmet or doo-rag with tin foil...the radar can't git ya!!!
:lol: :lol:
I tried that....
Makes my bald head sweat even more!

On a serious note, a KY State Trooper told me that the radar guns 'sense' the air push by the vehicle. In most cases the air push by a motorcycle isn't big enough for the radar gun to pick up...unless it's the only oncoming vehicle on the road.

I have no clue if the Troopers info is correct or not.

#35 ·
Yep, and don't forget that if you are speeding and you crash into someone it isn't an accident. It would be better called an 'inevitable'. Do a search on human perception of speeds while driving and it will scare the speed out of you. Anything over forty is extremely hard for the human eye/mind to comprehend. That is one reason why so many bikes end up t-boning cars. Not all the t-bones are caused by this, just alot of them. Also, many safety studies show you have LESS of a chance of dying on a bike than a car as long as you are sober (no alcohol in system), NOT SPEEDING, and wearing a helmet. Besides, going overly fast makes all bikers look like jerks.

#36 ·
Yeah, I was just waiting for someone to throw out that little line of BS. "Revenue increaser" :roll:

How can it be a revenue increaser IF YOU OBEY THE LAW??????
If the sign reads 35MPH, and you drive 35MPH the cop can't stop you for speeding can he?

Bottom line, you(no one specific) break the law you deserve a ticket.

G
#37 ·
madbull2 said:

Be safe,

-Dave
I think you're right on the mark. When they do have our safety in mind, they tend to go overboard and make the speed limit too low.

#38 ·
michael7276 said:
madbull2 said:

Be safe,

-Dave
yeah it's all a conspiracy by THE MAN to beat us all down and get our hard earned money.......

NOT!

I have never understood where this negative/defeatist/conspiracy attitude came from. I hear it all the time and I think "what a freakin retard!"

Wake up dude! Surely there are some of our beloved lawmakers that caress the hand of lobbyists for the next campaign donation. Although sometimes the way they go about it defies logic, I bet that more often than not, lawmakers really do have our safety at heart.
To make a blanket statement like "more often than not, lawmakers really do have our safety at heart" is truly naive. The reality is, more often than not, they have the safety of their own salary at heart. I'm not saying that the idea of speed limits is not in the interest of the general public, but simply that the way the system is manipulated by local governments and the insurance industry is mind boggling and should be down right criminal. But who is going to enforce following procedure upon those charged with enforcing it upon us? No one.

I wasn't looking to start a pissing contest or a name calling match here, I was just stating my opinion. I arrive at my opinions by doing research, and by observing the world around me, not by blind faith in a system that has given me more reasons to distrust than to trust it. I certainly don't consider myself or anyone else a retard simply because they choose to look at all the information available and come to their own conclusions instead of just being a sheep and believing that "The Government Knows Best". If that works for you and makes you happy, so be it. I'm truly happy for you. I have never been much of a "Blind Faith" kinda guy myself (although I am a big Clapton fan :wink: ).

I really think the punishment should fit the crime. I don't know how it works in other parts of the country, but here if you get cited for going 10mph over the speed limit, you're looking at $150 right off the bat. Add $10 for each 1mph over that. Seems a little stiff to me. But thats just the beginning. Now add another $400-$600 dollars a year to your insurance (depending on your coverage, value of your car, city you live in, etc.) for 7 years. So thats another $3-4K. For going 10mph over the speed limit. Do you really think all that money is going to make the roads any safer? Absolutely not. Its just going to make some fat cats even fatter. You can believe what you choose. I do and will continue to choose to question the motives of anyone who wants to suck money out of my pocket every chance they get. If you choose to just mindlessly go along with it like they want you to, well, thats your choice.

As crew says,

opinions vary......

-Dave

PS: here's some interesting reading on speed limits:
http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html

#39 ·
Chicago-Spike said:
Yeah, I was just waiting for someone to throw out that little line of BS. "Revenue increaser" :roll:

If the sign reads 35MPH, and you drive 35MPH the cop can't stop you for speeding can he?

Spike, my point is that the traffic surveys they do to determine what a safe and reasonable speed is for a certain stretch of road are almost always influenced to manipulate the outcome. I have seen many survey sites with the sensor strips across the road with a radar sign right before it. This makes people slow down so that the results will show a much lower speed for the 85th percentile than the actual day to day reality. How can you believe that they have done studies and determined that this is the safest speed for this road when the results have been manipulated and rigged?

The whole idea of setting the speed limit at the 85th percentile is great; it is supposed to be a way for the general public to set the rules that govern them. But the reality is that the system is manipulated so that we no longer (if we ever did) have any say. Now why would the local governments want traffic surveys influenced to set speed limits artifially lower than they should be, rather than just accept the unaltered outcome of a genuine study? MONEY. aka REVENUE. If they did a genuine study, theoretically only 15% of the traffic will be "speeding". If they alter the results, then a much higher percentage of traffic will theoretically be "speeding" at any given time, thus they have the option to extract more money at any given time. As I said, it has nothing to do with safety. Now, of course I don't expect you to agree with me; considering that you were a firefighter and paramedic, I assume that you have quite a few friends in law enforcement. However, choosing not to accept or believe something does not make it any less true.

but,

then again.........

opinions vary..........

-Dave

#40 ·
madbull2 said:
To make a blanket statement like "more often than not, lawmakers really do have our safety at heart" is truly naive. The reality is, more often than not, they have the safety of their own salary at heart. I'm not saying that the idea of speed limits is not in the interest of the general public, but simply that the way the system is manipulated by local governments and the insurance industry is mind boggling and should be down right criminal. But who is going to enforce following procedure upon those charged with enforcing it upon us? No one.

I wasn't looking to start a pissing contest or a name calling match here, I was just stating my opinion. I arrive at my opinions by doing research, and by observing the world around me, not by blind faith in a system that has given me more reasons to distrust than to trust it. I certainly don't consider myself or anyone else a retard simply because they choose to look at all the information available and come to their own conclusions instead of just being a sheep and believing that "The Government Knows Best". If that works for you and makes you happy, so be it. I'm truly happy for you. I have never been much of a "Blind Faith" kinda guy myself (although I am a big Clapton fan :wink: ).

I really think the punishment should fit the crime. I don't know how it works in other parts of the country, but here if you get cited for going 10mph over the speed limit, you're looking at $150 right off the bat. Add $10 for each 1mph over that. Seems a little stiff to me. But thats just the beginning. Now add another $400-$600 dollars a year to your insurance (depending on your coverage, value of your car, city you live in, etc.) for 7 years. So thats another $3-4K. For going 10mph over the speed limit. Do you really think all that money is going to make the roads any safer? Absolutely not. Its just going to make some fat cats even fatter. You can believe what you choose. I do and will continue to choose to question the motives of anyone who wants to suck money out of my pocket every chance they get. If you choose to just mindlessly go along with it like they want you to, well, thats your choice.

As crew says,

opinions vary......

-Dave

So then the internet link that you specify, is that the only piece of research you have? If not, then I suppose you have some CREDIBLE research that supports your claim
I always try to warn others of speed traps. Thats just what they are; traps. They are not designed to increase safety; they are only designed to increase revenue.
And I'm sure that you have some credible research to support your claim

If you got all this research, let's have it.

#41 ·
michael7276 said:
Poison said:
If you line your helmet or doo-rag with tin foil...the radar can't git ya!!!
:lol: :lol:
I tried that....
Makes my bald head sweat even more!

On a serious note, a KY State Trooper told me that the radar guns 'sense' the air push by the vehicle. In most cases the air push by a motorcycle isn't big enough for the radar gun to pick up...unless it's the only oncoming vehicle on the road.

I have no clue if the Troopers info is correct or not.
For a Trooper to say something like that tells me that he is in no way qualified to operate a radar unit. Part of proper radar training is to learn at least some basic concepts of how the device operates. I know for a fact that radar does not sense "air push" from a vehicle to determine speed. That is just ludicrous! I don't think I would have been able to contain my laughter if a trooper told me something like that! And this is a guy I am supposed to trust to protect my safety, no questions asked?

-Dave

#42 ·
michael7276 said:
madbull2 said:

As crew says,

opinions vary......

-Dave

So then the internet link that you specify, is that the only piece of research you have? If not, then I suppose you have some CREDIBLE research that supports your claim
I always try to warn others of speed traps. Thats just what they are; traps. They are not designed to increase safety; they are only designed to increase revenue.
And I'm sure that you have some credible research to support your claim

[quote:1lst7fxn]The entire system is corrupt. Do you know who pays for the Police's Radar guns? Insurance companies. Do they do this to try to make the roads safer? No, they do it so that the police will be obligated to use the "donated" equipment, give out more speeding tickets by "trapping" motorists, thereby increasing insurance premiums so that the inurance companies make more money. It' simply a money game. Speed limits have nothing to do with safety.
If you got all this research, let's have it.[/quote:1lst7fxn]

Look, I just said it was some interesting reading; I was not quoting it as gospel. The fact is, police activity has a direct influence on the insurance companies bottom line, right? The insurance companies know this, right? Don't you think they are doing something to influence this in order to increase their bottom line? If you don't, then you truly are naive. If you disagree, thats fine. As I said before, believe what you want. I'm pretty certain I'm not going to change your mind. Just because I have read things and found interesting reading over the years to arrive at my own conclusions, doesn't mean I have it all available at my fingertips, nor do I feel I need to. As I said, I'm not going to change your mind. And I don't really care if I do or not. Believe what you want.

Besides, it's almost 4:00 which means its time for me to go ride.

Stay Safe.

-Dave

#43 ·
Guys, there is much more to it than the ability of a machine to go a specific speed in a specific area. Our machines will always out do our abilities. The limiting factor is the ability of the human mind, body and eye to react fast enough and in the right way to avoid other vehicles, pedestrians, animals, obstructions, road surfaces AND for other drivers to react to your vehicle. Read the studies. You may think you are capable of riding at those speeds, but you aren't. Your number just isn't up yet. If you are going faster than the speeds people are used to seeing vehicles going in that area they will assume you are going that speed because the human eye can't see the difference. That's why so many bikers are dead now. If you are speeding it isn't an accident.

#45 ·
All I can say from past experience is that SPEED KILLS. I am constantly reminding offending speeders (car or motorcycle) of this very fact along with issuing the speeding citation as a hopeful reminder in the future to watch your speed....Ride safe all!! Johnny-Law 8)

#46 ·
Chicago-Spike said:

I'd like to believe that revenue isn't a motivating factor, but I have to wonder. My sister lives on a road where the speed limit is 45mph, which, imo, is 5-10 too high as it stands now. Now factor in her blind driveway (no warning signs) and I've seen multiple sportbikes crest that rise at 70mph plus, some on one wheel. Now why is it that after repeated calls to the town police department, I cannot get them to come up there and sit with their radar on, but they'll always find the time to sit down on the four laner where they know they're going to bag a handful of people doing 12 mph over the limit?? A place where there are no kids on bikes, no cross traffic, no little old ladies etc.?

#47 ·
SO what if you did signal to the next guy speed trap ahead. Now that he slowed down if he wasnt doing the speed limit and you saved someone's life @ that point in time. just a thought. :idea:

I'm against speeders as well and i do obey the speed limits posted,however what if your influnce on slowing someone down really worked to save something or better yet somebody. Personally i would say it was worth the effort!

#48 ·
I try to signal EVERYONE around here.

The area is growing real fast and all the little towns are annexing land as fast as they can.

One of the first things they do is change the speed limit signs on the rural paved roads that had been 45-50 mph. They are now anywhere from 20-35 mph. Johnson, Tontitown, and Farmington all have done above.

You know as soon as you leave the city limit because the speeds go back to normal rural road speed limits. Same road, you just crossed an invisible line.

When I say the area is growing fast, that is not to say that overnight the annexed rural roads are now congested with traffic from all the new homes and apartments. The property and the roads are the same. It is just that the money grubbing jurisdiction is different.

The town of Johnson even went so far (trying to mend their reputation) as to have the Chief of Police get on TV and state emphatically that no one would be ticketed in Johnson unless they were doing at least 10 mph over. Two of his officers undoubtedly disagree and still write tickets for less than 10 over.

Everyday, going to work, I leave a 50 mph County designation that turns into a 35 mph Johnson Street which then drops to 25 just a little further in. I change to another northbound Johnson street that is 30 mph that turns into 35 mph in the city of Springdale. The SAME southbound segment of the Johnson street is 35 mph. The Johnson officers have several spots to "monitor" speeds on that 300 yard segment.

Now, the original poster wanted to know if I signal oncoming motorcyclists - ABSOLUTELY YES! How many of you know exactly how fast you are going at any given time on a city or county street? How many of you can keep that speedo steady on 20 mph?

Now the local city that hosts Bikes, Blues, & BBQ is passing a noise ordinance tonight for motorcyclists and cars that REV their engines unnecessarily!

#49 ·
That's one of those ultra secret secrets, like aliens living next door to all of us and the government knows it, or the fact that humans have never landed on the moon, the moon shots were filmed at area 51.
I happen to know that those aren't true, cause last time I was taken aboard and alien spacecraft, they told me so...Oh and Rush said so too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.