Sturgis
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sturgis

Default Sturgis

Has anyone from the NE ridden to Sturgis? My son and I plan on attending next year and would like any helpful hints.
    The Truth. You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!
    2005 VTX1300R

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

i had a co-worker that went across country last year. he took a month off to do it. one of his stops was sturgis. i know he planed his route on almost all back roads and left the midpart of NY over through the great lakes...you know what if you want i don't know where you would be leaving from but i can ask him next week and get his route for you.

We're heading from Burlington VT. I thought about heading up to northern NY and taking Rt 11 to Watertown and down Rt 3. Route 20 skirts the interstate/turnpike for quite aways. I understand that it would be better if we could by-pass Chicago.

We'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
    The Truth. You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!
    2005 VTX1300R

Default Re: Sturgis

I can't make the ride this year, but if your planning on it for next year and would like some company please let me know.
    In the mean time if you care to meet and compare bikes or ride, give me an e-mail.
    vthorseshoe@aol.com
    02 VTX1800C Hyde Park, Vermont

Default Re: Sturgis

I left on the 28th and came back on the 6th. Took me three days to get there. First stop was in Toledo, OH, then Rockford, IL and finally on to Rapid City for the duration of my stay. Went up to Wyoming to see Devil's Tower and worked my way through Sturgis, Lead, Deadwood, Keystone etc. Next day I went to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse via the Ghost town Rockerville and checked out the southwest region of the state including Custer State Park. The 3rd day I went back over to Wall and stopped at Wall Drugs and then went through the Badlands. Picking up pins and shot glasses along the way! Was one heck of a ride. The Black Hills were the BEST. Some of the hairpin turns could have been dangerous had I not had a TomTom unit. Pigtail bridge, laminated bridge were all wild. Crossing the Mississippi and Missouri rivers were cools as well. The only boring part of the ride was the straight, flat regions of Ohio and Illinois.

Going there I went through Chicago which sucked and ate up more in endurance than time. On the way back I avoided it... and the tolls. My route was I95 to I80/90 in NJ and straight aross the country.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.