1800 to 2000 big bore kit
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1800 to 2000 big bore kit

Default 1800 to 2000 big bore kit

Hi All

This is my first post here and I hope you all can help me with an idea I have.

I see that there is now a big bore kit for the 1800cc Honda V-Twin motor. It boosts the displacement to two liters. There is also a new set of cams for this kit. I am thinking of doing this to my bike. Here is a link: http://www.v2x.com/maxx121.htm

I love my VTX and have done some mods to it already. I have a kuryakyn hyper charger, a power commander 2 , a D&D slip on muffler and an O2 sensor eliminator. It's fairly fast now but more displacement is always nice. This big bore kit is far from cheap but good things seldom are cheap.

Has anyone done this? How did it work out? They say it will last a lifetime but is there any information to the contrary?

Thank you all for the help
    Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

I don't think that company is in business any more... And that kit is nothing new its been around since 2003 or so...

Call this guy he is one of the top builders of vtx engines.

http://www.designedperformance.com/

Be prepared to

Because its not cheap to make a VTX go fast. My advice is throw a bunch of nitrous to it is the cheapest route to go.
    2012 Victory Cross country
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272

Quote Originally Posted by X'N
    Be prepared to

Because its not cheap to make a VTX go fast.
    and here I thought it already went fast
    2002 1800 C/F/R - custom paint by Hoss1
    2000 VTR1000F Superhawk - yellow
    2000 Ducati 996 - red
    1994 XR650L - dirty
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by sassage
    Be prepared to

Because its not cheap to make a VTX go fast.
    and here I thought it already went fast
    Your definition of fast is skewed

OB HOODLUMS.....FIRST 5!
    www.hensleyoutfitters.com

My roadrunner I sold to buy my VTX was a lot faster... So yea this bike is slow to me...

Call David Campbell at http://www.designedperformance.com/ He will be your best source for the information you’re wanting.
    Also check out David E. http://www.vtxperformance.com/ He has worked with David C. on his 2000cc beast only 150+ hp at the wheel

After I got my X I wanted to do the same thing your thinking about
    But I decided to roll my $ in to a fat time set up and all the chrome goodies that's needed. 3 years later I feel like I made the right choice
    My bike puts out 98hp all day long which is enough for me.........right now
    02 1800C & 05 1800R

for the money you would spend on making the X fast
    you could buy any 600+cc sport bike and get the same
    thing ...

big v-twins are just not built for speed ... they are made for
    all day cruising at lower rpm's ... made to be stable, handle
    well and stop when they need to ...

if you want the V built for speed, get the V65 Sabre ... cost
    a lot less than a big-bore kit and probably still leave the
    big bore in the dust ...
    2005 VTX 1800 F3 (Canada)

Default Aww, lighten up ...

Not to start a flame war here, but you guys are missing the point. Red likes his big twin, but wants to make it go faster. That's all. He's not out to race super sports and hyper-bikes, he just wants to get more out of the one he has and obviously already likes. It's just taking the intake and exhaust mods that most people do to the next level. If he wanted a hyper-fast bike, he'd have bought a 'Busa ... or two. Am I right? I mean, am I???

It's no different than taking a 125 cc to Bonneville ... they ain't out to set a land speed record, they just want to see what they can squeeze out of 125 cc's. Same deal here ... a lot of us like to see what we can wring out of two big jugs; some are just willing to wring it a little tighter than others. I myself am not into tearing into the engine, but I certainly applaud those diligent ones that are.

Sorry I don't have anything to lend to your question, Red, but good luck to ya, and please let us know how you make out.

Ed
    ed

2014 Black Honda CTX1300

Hi All
    EDC is correct I am not interested in breaking any land speed records but I would like more power.

When I was a youngster in my twenties, I'm in my fifties now, I had a Hardly Dangerous. It was six inches over in the rear and six inches over in the front. Had all sorts of go fast stuff on it and in it. The one thing I liked about that bike, and it boils down to only one thing, was when I up shifted to second and banged the throttle I could lift the front wheel. That's torque. I would like the same with a bike that is six hundred cc's bigger. I know that one could say well it was the belt primary or the chain drive or the HD was a lot lighter and it was.. But the Honda does have six hundred more cc's.

With the VTX I have already blown off cafe racer types on the freeway. Had some guy a couple of years ago come up next to me on the freeway. We were going about sixty or seventy and he popped it up on it's rear tire. I didn't down shift or hunch over the bars or anything like that I just opened it up. I was in fifth and he couldn't catch me. But my gut tels me that this bike has a lot more penitential for speed and torque.

I do know that the website that I posted said that their offices are closed but it doesn't say they have gone out of business. I am sure that if I really wanted to I could get some from them or camco. Both say they are out of the VTX market but money talks BS walks. But the most likely thing to happen is I will split the difference and just install a new set of cams in it from web cam. I suspect it will be sometime in the spring that I do this. The place I would have do it, I used to do all my own work but I can afford to pay someone else to do it now, has a dyno and does custom maps for the Power commander.

The one big problem I have with this is my wife. She wants me to sell my bike. I had cancer a few years ago and my reflexes are not what they used to be. But I think I'm still good enough to ride. I have a friend that is an old Chinese guy. He says "Meat on inside good. Meat on outside bad." My wife keeps reminding me about the Meat on the outside thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    for the money you would spend on making the X fast
    you could buy any 600+cc sport bike and get the same
    thing ...

big v-twins are just not built for speed ... they are made for
    all day cruising at lower rpm's ... made to be stable, handle
    well and stop when they need to ...

if you want the V built for speed, get the V65 Sabre ... cost
    a lot less than a big-bore kit and probably still leave the
    big bore in the dust ...
    I've owned both, and my V65 was faster. Much faster

Default ??

Any body try that 2000 cc build yet from designed performance ??

My roadrunner I sold to buy my VTX was a lot faster... So yea this bike is slow to me...
    you sold the Mopar?
    2002 1800 C/F/R - custom paint by Hoss1
    2000 VTR1000F Superhawk - yellow
    2000 Ducati 996 - red
    1994 XR650L - dirty
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by sassage
    you sold the Mopar?
    Yea... traded one toy for another...

Well I have been in touch with David at www.designedperformance.com and he is very helpful with information about boosting the performance of the 1800. Here is part of the last email I have had with him:

I have done 133 ci for the street at 2200cc. It is $2600. The roller kit is $2500 (I think). I have done several motors with the 2007, cams (not roller), headwork and oversized valves that make in the 140s for torque. It runs about $2800.

I think that I might only get the cams, headwork and oversized valves. If that puts me in the 140s for torque I think I will be happy. But it all depends on my money if I can swing the extra $2600 I will get it bore out to 2200cc as well.

And If I did all of this I still wouldn't come close to the amount of money it would cost to buy some pocket rocket. And I don't fit very well on them. I'm a very big guy and those little bikes don't feel right under me. But if I was going to buy a sport bike it would be a Buell.

make sure you keep us update with progress and pics!
    -Richard
    05 1800F/N - the goodies keep getting better...
    I walk on water

CLICK here for Darkside Forum
    DS -01/06/07

red not to get you upset but the guy on one wheel at freeway speeds would eat you alive in second gear he was just playing around with you theres not 1 single 600cc or over crotch roket that would not destroy a cruiser. dont ask me how i know im just more at peice now (most of the time ) just a note you will need more than just motor work . you will need a serious clutch or you could have your pressure plate machined for a centrifical type set up . the vtx clutch cant even handle a stock vtx yet alone even more power . figure 800.00 1500.00 for that. o dont forget most of the big bore guys have had over heating issues also. your dependability is going to go in the sh1tter. my opinoin if your going to do it would be leave the stock bore size alone . bump up the compression say 10-1 redue the heads and put in the cams . you are still going to need clutch work and most of the heavy duty clutches out there are hard on the hand .im not saying buy a sport bike but if you want one that wont kill you well your back anyway buy a zx 14 great bike and depending on what you had done to the old runner (nice car buy the way)it will probably be much faster i think they are running 9 sec quarters stock and damn near 200mph . i for one like to see people building the vtx good luck.
    2003 vtx 1800c

Turbo. Gas mileage goes up and so does the power.
    Brock aka j1mmyj4m
    Black '03 1800C w/ other stuff.
    Red/Silver/Black '01 GSXR 750 (Gone )

Wow, I hate to pop anyones bubble..... But, I have smoked several 600cc sport bikes at the strip AND between red lights with my '02 1800C. They get real mad too! .....lol. Seriosly though, experiance, bolt on mods, reaction time and road conditions make a world of differance. If you get a good launch, shift at top rpm, forget about useing the clutch and stay out of the rev limiter, you should run about 11.00sec. in the quarter. I'm only running a PCIII, Hypercharger, car tire, Vance&Hines and a good digital tach w/shift light and saw as low as 10.9 as my best time last year. The sport bikes are moving much faster by the end of the strip (i.e. they will get you at top speed) But the VTX has the advantage of massive torque off the line. The 1000cc bikes are a completely different class.......scary! Leave them alone! But the VTX will easily compete with most 600cc sport bikes in a straight line at a relatively short distance. The 1200cc Bandit is also fair game.

Honestly, I horse around with my friends on thier bikes all the time. Most of them switched over to sport bikes years ago because of the ZOOOM factor. I can confidently say that a skilled rider on a 100hp sport bike (in a straight line) can only take you at high speed unless ofcorse you goof in the first 100 feet. If he goofs, you will surely take him! I have raced my own bike on a GSXR600 and balls out, I was very impressed by the "inferior" V-twin design against the the snappy inline 4, even though I beat my own bike by half a second.

I'm not saying that the VTX is the most awesome thing to ever grace the street..... I agree that the V-twin is inferior to more modern designs. I have been beat by 600s, a Vmax, Valkarie, Hoss, RocketIII and a few S&S and Revtek custom bikes. But I have also held my own when I thought for sure I would be the one buying beers at the next bar. This bike can move impressively fast for an extremely heavy twin. If you own one, you are not quite at the top of the food chain in performance, but your still above the kids, weekend warriors and econo bikes. This bike was built for (1) Reliability and (2) Performance the other factors fall in wherever..... In order to make #2 surpass #1 you have to seriously comprimise #1. At this point you have to ask yourself "How far am I willing to go?" What are you willing to give to make your cruiser beat a race bike? Turbo? nitrous? Major enjine mods? Your warranty becomes a distant hope and your out of pocket cost keeps accelarating until you look like the guy at the local bike show standing next to his big block Boss Hoss with custom airbrush paint and a fricken Paxton peeking out the side!

Enjoy your scoot. Beat her but take care of her. And try to keep the shiny side up!

Good luck man.
    "If theres a new way, I'll be the first in line. But it better work this time!" ~ Dave Mustaine

Oh yea, 1st and 2nd gear wheelies are very possible on the VTX. Your not going to stand this bike straight up, but its not uncommon to lift the front end over 12" in both gears.

Look into the DARKSIDE!!
    "If theres a new way, I'll be the first in line. But it better work this time!" ~ Dave Mustaine

Sorry pistonring8 I'm throwing the BS flag on your post no way your running them numbers in the quarter with your mods.

Here's a video of txvtx's bike with a ton of mods doing 11.3's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YygP4GwQw58

It's not even close to possible to run an 11 with those mods. Maybe on a DYNO drag, but not the real drag.
    Brock aka j1mmyj4m

Ditto to what X'N and j1mmy said.

I'm running basically the same setup you are pistonring8, except HK pipes, and my best time on a the Teresi dyno trailer is a high 11.8. Granted I would think that moving down a track would improve things slightly due to the higher air-flow at speed from the hypercharger, but I seriously doubt it would take off a full second. No way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks you're getting in the 10s with a couple of bolt-ons, unless one of those bolt ons is a NOS kit.
    '04 1800 B - Custom paint by Rhino Linings of South St. Paul.
    Road Captain - Red Knights MC, MN 4 --- LTOD!

Quote Originally Posted by pistonring8
    Oh yea, 1st and 2nd gear wheelies are very possible on the VTX. Your not going to stand this bike straight up, but its not uncommon to lift the front end over 12" in both gears.

Look into the DARKSIDE!!
    I've actually seen a guy drag the rear fender on his Retro so that can be done too. I thought he was going over backwards but he didnt.
    http://home.comcast.net/~degsco/retro/

If You Can't Run With The Big Dogs ... Stay On The Porch

No dyno/trailer drag is close to real world drag times. You have ZERO wind resistance, no friction drag and no weight to account for. Take your time on a trailer or dyno drag and add 1 to 1.5 seconds. Sometimes 2 if you suck.

On a dyno drag, a stock VTX should be able to hit low 11's easy and that's not feasible in the real world. Neither is HIGH 11's without a tail wind, below sea level with a 60lb rider.
    Brock aka j1mmyj4m

Sorry pistonring8 I'm throwing the BS flag on your post no way your running them numbers in the quarter with your mods.

Here's a video of txvtx's bike with a ton of mods doing 11.3's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YygP4GwQw58

Hee Hee, you guys are kidding right? I'll post some of my time slips from last year as soon as I get someone to scan them for me. Those can easily be faked, so I will also have a friend record one of my runs this spring and post it on Youtube.

I've seen this video before. Dosnt look like alot of mods..... And an aweful lot of useless weight. 11.3 seems about right for that. My bike is not nearly as pretty when I run it because I unbolt absolutely everything I don't need before the run.

I don't think I can make such a fancy video, but you will get the idea of how its done. I'm honestly surprised there are not more VTXs out there on the 1/4. I can assure you that you guys will never see a decent time with all of that eye candy crap hanging off your scoot though

Some of you local Pennsylvania boys may have seen me at Maple Grove Raceway, South Mountain or Beaver Springs last year at the top of the twin class..... Feel free to chime in on this one.

My 10.99 run is on record at Beaver Springs Raceway
    60 ft: 1.62
    1/8 mi et: 6.58
    1/8 mi mph: 110
    1/4 10.99 @ 133mph

Naturally inducted gasoline only. No major enjine mods. 205/60/16 soft compound slick. Heck, there are some hardcore motorheads running a whole lot faster than my old Honda. Hey, I ride this thing to work most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by pistonring8

Look into the DARKSIDE!!
    I've actually seen a guy drag the rear fender on his Retro so that can be done too. I thought he was going over backwards but he didnt.
    That is incredible!! I would love to see that! I've dumped the clutch in 1st at full throttle on mine and can never get more than just a little wheelie.

haha...sure. Did you put the vtx engine in a red wagon?

Hayabusa's run 10mph faster on average. Your 10.9 never happened without someone messing up time slips or you've done A LOT more work than you've mentioned. I'm not new to drags

This is DoubleXX, part 2.
    Brock aka j1mmyj4m

I ran a best of 12.016 @ 108MPH with pipe, air, pc111, and a good Metz out back. I'm not a pro rider, but do have a plenty of trips down the 1/4 mile on my bike.
    Last year with engine mods (cams, larger throttle body, heads ported, larger valves, 11:1 pistons....) I ran a best of 11.7(?) @ 113MPH

Just to figure your weight and bike at, say 900lbs, that would mean you have an estimated 165HP at the wheel to go through the traps at 10.99 and 133MPH. (Wow! I gotta get me a Hypercharger now! ) This analyzer is close but not perfect ----> http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/index ... =analyzers

Tell BS raceway to get the timing fixed (or upgraded from a sun dial) at the track.
    It just is not possible with the mods you state.
    Tim
    ~GONE!~

118 cubic inch, bottle fed, tire smoke'n X. Faster than a speeding ticket!

Wow, not really sure what your talking about anymore. You lost me. I'll post a video for ya this April though, btw I looked up what the 'busa is running and it looks about like this..... Totally diffent class than our cruiser. But I don't have to tell that to experts like you

1/4 Mile ET: 8.600
    1/4 Mile MPH: 162.680
    1/8 Mile ET: 5.614
    1/8 Mile MPH: 132.520
    0-60 Foot ET: 1.484
    Temperature F: 72.0

LOL...a stock Busa does NOT run an 8.6. That's modified. A stock Busa runs high 9's with an awesome rider. An average rider hits low 10's...sometimes dipping to 9.9's.

I'm at sea level and stock Busa's don't even touch mid 9's muchless an 8.6. Go run at a real track (not down the street with a stop watch) and you'll see where we're coming from.

Go ahead and dispute these riders from magazines in 2000 when the Busa was even faster.

Summary of Performance Stats
    Stock 1/4 mile times and top speed times
    With thanks from Andy.
    1. CYCLEWORLD [June 2000]

Top Speeds
    ------------------------------------------
    Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
    Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
    --------------------------------------------
    Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ 145.80 mph [Performed by CycleWorld magazine rider]
    Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.06 sec @ 142 mph [Performed by Ricky Gadson - Top Kawasaki Pro Drag racer]

2. PERFORMANCE BIKES [June 2000]

Top Speeds
    Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 190.3 mph
    Kawasaki ZX-12R 188.9 mph

Quarter Mile
    Suzuki GSX1300R 10.3s @ 143.9
    Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.4s @ 146.3

3. SPORTBIKE MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
    Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 191 mph
    Kawasaki ZX-12R 187 mph

Quarter Mile
    Suzuki GSX1300R 9.93 sec @ 143.4 mph
    Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.04 sec @ 143.8 mph

4. MOTORCYCLIST MAGAZINE [June 2000]

Top Speeds
    Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 184.2 mph
    Kawasaki ZX-12R 183 mph
    [Elevation 2400 feet above sea level]

Quarter Mile
    Suzuki GSX1300R 9.86 sec @ ~ 140.3 mph
    Kawasaki ZX-12R 9.96 sec @ 142.3 mph

5. BIKENET Online <http://www.bikenet-racing.com/>
    Brock aka j1mmyj4m

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.