Honda VTX Forum banner

Cigarette lighter position

9K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  Inar 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on the position fir fitting a cigarette lighter socket to a 1300S. I have searched the forum and found loads of really good advice for the wireing but only a handfull of pictures of the actual socket.

Can anyone who has fitted a cigarette lighter socket post a picture of it for me? Or even just explain the position would be good. Ideally I would like it out of the way so I can't kick it or anything.

Thanks,

#2 ·
Some use the walmart socket with the spring loaded water proof cap that needs a hole drilled and mount it in the neck cover, others have used the m/c type that mounts to the bars, I mounted one out of the way under the bike as I only use it for my compressor and cell phone charger, I do intend to mount on forward when I get my gps. good luck in your choice.

#8 ·
Have one of the cheap 3 socket extension cords. cut off the power plug, spliced in some wire, hooked it into my fuse box, ran the wires up the frame back bone and keep the power tap assembly in my windshield bag. Easy to get to, hidden and can plug in several things if needed for about $12 and some labor when the tank was off for a valve adj.

#9 ·
I attached mine to the toolbox cover with four stainless bolts. A dual flat plug was spliced on the end to make a quick and easy connection to the Battery Tender cable. Hidden from view and out of the elements.

It's angled upwards to accommodate the large socket that comes with the Nuvi. It's the only way it would fit comfortably behind side cover.

#10 ·
VTX04 said:
I attached mine to the toolbox cover with four stainless bolts. A dual flat plug was spliced on the end to make a quick and easy connection to the Battery Tender cable. Hidden from view and out of the elements.

It's angled upwards to accommodate the large socket that comes with the Nuvi. It's the only way it would fit comfortably behind side cover.

when you run your cord to your gps how do you keep it from getting in the way? i was looking at putting a plug on the left side of the neck cover so the wire wouldnt be a issue.

#11 ·
TimmyG said:
when you run your cord to your gps how do you keep it from getting in the way? i was looking at putting a plug on the left side of the neck cover so the wire wouldnt be a issue.
The length of the GPS power line played a part in placement. From the socket, the wire exits the side cover near the left backbone. From there, it's taken to the right side of the bike (tucked between the seat and the tank) and then up to the bars underneath the tank (along the rightside back bone). You can't even see the wire until it hits the upper fork. It's not even neccessary to tie it down although it's more secure if you do. When complete, there isn't a loop of excess wire. It reaches the GPS with just a little slack leftover.

If you plan on putting the socket on the neck cover, you'll be much closer to the GPS and have a loop of wire to tie down or tuck somewhere. Someone else posted that they have a small handlebar bag that is used to store the excess wire.

#12 ·
I saw where some talk about going into the fuse box, and others the battery... If you hot wire (go directly) to the battery, what is the likely hood of your battery dieing with just the 12v hooked to it but with nothing ie gps on? Does the cig. draw power from the battery just sitting there... Dumb question maybe but not that eletronically inclined :oops:

#13 ·
cwd said:
I saw where some talk about going into the fuse box, and others the battery... If you hot wire (go directly) to the battery, what is the likely hood of your battery dieing with just the 12v hooked to it but with nothing ie gps on? Does the cig. draw power from the battery just sitting there... Dumb question maybe but not that eletronically inclined :oops:
No draw just sitting there, if the items plugged in have no parasitic draw (like and LED glowing or some sort of memory backup)

#15 ·
cwd said:
Thanks for the info NDAna, is there one prefered and or better method over the other: battery vs fuse box?
I like having the extra circuits the fuse box provides, but inline fuse is fine if you don't have a bunch of crap on the bike. I need the fuse box :lol:
Would also try and stay with the same fuses. (X uses the mini blade fuses)

#17 ·
deersleigher said:
My 12v socket lives in the left saddlebag. When I need to charge the phone, I just drop it in there and let it go. Haven't used it for anything else, yet.
Plus 1! I spliced a pig tail from a battery tender to the end of the power outlet and just plug it in when I ride. The battery tender is not plugged in so the b tender pig tail does double duty.

#20 ·
Hardwired mine into the battery and ran it up the left side back bone, up the neck and into my tool bag that is mounted in front of the risers. Out of sight. I plug the GPS power cord into the socket, still in the bag, and run the lead to the GPS. The bulky sockets are out of sight.

#21 ·
Re:

Ghost-Flame said:
deersleigher said:
My 12v socket lives in the left saddlebag. When I need to charge the phone, I just drop it in there and let it go. Haven't used it for anything else, yet.
Plus 1! I spliced a pig tail from a battery tender to the end of the power outlet and just plug it in when I ride. The battery tender is not plugged in so the b tender pig tail does double duty.
Great idea!

Why didnt I think of that!?

Ive got the battery tender leads on my battery too. How exactly did you splice into them? Or is there a quick connect available to connect an extra device such as were doing?

#22 ·
Stupid question: Is there anything 'magical' about a cigarette lighter as far as a plug goes? I.E. If I have a device ( GPS, Detector,etc ) that has a Cig Lighter plug, can I just cut the plug off and splice it into the 12V system? Or put a different plug on it to match my battery tender leads? Is there anything ( resister?, fuse, etc ) in the standard cigarette lighter that is needed to protect the plugged in device?

#23 ·
Be cautious about powering a GPS from a socket that's always live. Most of the GPS units are equipped with rechargeable batteries which will charge when the unit is off. It's conceivable that this might run down the bike's battery.

al

#24 ·
i put my 12 volt plug in my left saddlebag as i didnt need anything else on my handlebars. that way i can charge my cell or anythng else while i am riding, or parked. my plug is wired directly to the battery. been like that for 2 months, so far so good. :D

G
#26 ·
Herbie said:
Stupid question: Is there anything 'magical' about a cigarette lighter as far as a plug goes? I.E. If I have a device ( GPS, Detector,etc ) that has a Cig Lighter plug, can I just cut the plug off and splice it into the 12V system? Or put a different plug on it to match my battery tender leads? Is there anything ( resister?, fuse, etc ) in the standard cigarette lighter that is needed to protect the plugged in device?
EXCELLENT QUESTION - Here's why !!!!

WARNING: Do NOT Do This Unless You Are 100000% Certain The Device Runs Off Of 12 VOLTS

My GPS has a Lighter Plug but it runs off of 5 VOLTS - The Lighter Plug has a 5 VOLT regulator built into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.