Honda VTX Forum banner

Best Crash Bars for 2002 VTX1800R?

9K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  Sandman333 
#1 ·
I'm posting on behalf of a friend who is awaiting surgery for a broken knee after crashing his newly acquired 2002 VTX1800R while practising emergency braking. The crash caused cosmetic damage (two small dents in the tank and various scrapes) and he wants to quickly purchase crash bars that will prevent the bike from going all the way over in a low speed oops, but will not restrict cornering clearance. What can you all recommend?

#2 ·
Lindy Bars! Style AND function. Footrests built in, no need to add extras.:thumbup:

#3 ·
I have the Lindby bars on my S. The top mount is connected with a single bolt. I'd say this is more of cosmetic/comfort mod and wouldn't rely on it for safety.

It is great quality, though.

#6 ·
Lindy Bars! Style AND function. Footrests built in, no need to add extras.:thumbup:
JMHO but Lindy bars are strictly cosmetic. I say this because the top half is only held in place by the radiator bolt which is not very strong. A bunch of years back a few of the guys running the Lindy Bar had minor crashes and they folded up. One of the reasons was the top bolt ripped out/broke.

Use something that has some "beef" to it, good ground clearance and has 4 solid mounts.

#11 ·
Does the Fatties bar become the first thing that touches in a fast corner, or do the floorboards still touch first, then the floorboard mount? I don't want him to lose cornering clearance.
Floorboards will hit 1st. Never have come close to the bars. :mrgreen:

#13 ·
I use the Paladins as well... I love how sturdy they are and use the most "mounts" ... easy install

#14 ·
I have used the Cobra Fat Bar for 4 years. Quality is good, bar is solid. Have rubbed the boards many times, but never the bar!

#15 ·
Palladin for me too - and have mounted some driving lights on them for extra visibility. Quality is very good.
I was talking to a staff member at a local accessory dealer who said that when he was helping a customer install Paladin bars on his VTX, the brake pedal interfered with the highway bar. They had to make a mount extension to move the bar forward a little. Does this sound right to you?

#16 ·
No it doesn't. I did loosen the brake pedal to mount the bars as it does interfere with the installation, but there is no interference once it was all done - no spacer or extension was required when I did mine. The kit comes with a small spacer and new longer top bolt of the radiator so that there's enough room (just - it's a tight fit) for the top clamps that mount the bar to the frame on each side. I also removed the bottom radiator bolts to make it easier to mount, and again, it all went back together very smoothly. Hope this helps!

I was talking to a staff member at a local accessory dealer who said that when he was helping a customer install Paladin bars on his VTX, the brake pedal interfered with the highway bar. They had to make a mount extension to move the bar forward a little. Does this sound right to you?

#17 ·
I just installed the National Cycle Paldin bars. They are very sturdy. I was surprised at how much they weigh. Great quality. Found them on eBay for around $100.
Had the NC's a couple years and really like them but thankfully haven't had to test them and would buy them again.

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=2304&str=11

The MC's are one piece so might be a little stronger than the 2 piece like the rest but that assumes the same quality of tubing all around which is probably a bad assumption...

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1926&str=11

#18 ·
Another vote for the Cobra Fatties. Boards do drag first, but the bars aren't far behind. Don't ask me how I know!

#19 ·
fatty look the best and to put pegs on them you do need 1.5 inch clamps
floorboards do hit first but that bar cant be far behind. I have to admit that since I dropped my rear to 10.5 in shocks it makes me nervous a bit. but really if my board hits I know not to push it further and I really dont need to.

#21 ·
Cobra Fatties, the only ones that look proportionate on these big 1800s
+1 Cobra Fatties. Very solid mounting and will definitely hold up bike on a slow speed get off. Looks good on the substantial 1800.

#22 ·
Cobra Fatties, the only ones that look proportionate on these big 1800s
Does the Fatties bar become the first thing that touches in a fast corner, or do the floorboards still touch first, then the floorboard mount? I don't want him to lose cornering clearance.
+1 Cobra Fatties. Very solid mounting and will definitely hold up bike on a slow speed get off. Looks good on the substantial 1800.
DITTO, DITTO, and DITTO!

Fatties are FAT,... a correct size for the big beast!
Fatties are "beveled" on outside bottom corners so board hit first,
Fatties are substantial chromed 1.5" bars - hefty!!!

The term "crash" bar is not exactly correct, though,... they are more of an engine guard for a side tip-over, either standing still or at very low speeds. If "crash" means you lay it down on the road at hiway speed, almost all are going to fold up...

#23 ·
I just laid my down on memorial day in a group ride while ridding with the wife. I do have to agree with Saburkha, National Cycle Paladin bars. They just bent a little and took all the hit on my 1800, damages to the bike were small scratch in the front fender, small bent to the headlight due to my installed headlight extender; if I wouldn't have had it would been in the clear. The only thing I need to replace is the floorboard that has a light crack. Came out of with just a scratch, but if I would have worn my jacket; it would have been OK. They did protect me from pinning the leg down, the wife just got dirty. everyone should consider having a a pair as they do work; also the Paladin don't touch on Uturns a good plus.

#24 ·
I have Paldin and no complaints. Well worth the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.