Ok, tell me how to use a Motorcycle jack.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ok, tell me how to use a Motorcycle jack.

Default Ok, tell me how to use a Motorcycle jack.

I got a sears motorcycle jack for Christmas. I have never used one before and would like to know the proper procedure for lifting the bike. Do I put something under the kick stand to put the bike in a more vertical position? Jack for the right side (opposite the kick stand side) of the bike ? Do it use straps..yada..yada...yada?

Thanks

06 Candy Black Cherry 1300C with Foots Mod, Chrome rims, final, and swingarm.........and a lot more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Which jack did you get? The reason I ask is that some jacks won't slide under the X without some kind of blocks under the wheels to lift it up enough for the jack to slide under. If it is the red jack from Sears, I think I used a couple of 2x6s to get the jack under, if it is the aluminum yellow one from Sears it slides right under. What I usually do is put the jack under the bike just far enough back to gain access to the oil filter and make sure all my drain plugs are clear. Then I put one ratchet tie on it just in case going from the lifting part of the jack over the transfer case between the jugs and then back down to the jack. Do not attach your tie down to the bottom part of the jack that does not move, it will break your tie and whack you with the broken strap, just don't ask me how I know.

I jack mine up the first few pumps sitting on the bike off the kickstand, until it steadies on the jack frame I set on it just in case, once it centers up and stand up by itself I dismount and then jack it up the rest of the way.
    If you have the red Sear jack, I would make use of the stops and bleed the hydrolics off of the jack, I left mine up and the rear seal blew, which has happened to a few on this board, it was a bear gaining enough pressure to lift it up off the stop enough to get her down.
    '03 1800 VTX C - Black -
    Bought new in '05, for a song...

I have a block (4"x4") of wood I put under the kickstand when its parked in the garage. Can slide the jack in from the opposite side. You will have to determine where the jack will bring the front and rear wheel up evenly. eyeball center and go from there.
    I don't use the straps since I have a Pepsx stand and a table lift (if the bike is going to be disabled for any length of time)

Don't forget to use the safety bars.....I know here when its cold the jack can lose pressure over time.
    www.utahvtxriders.com
    2003 Black 1800U, 2005 Black 1300C (Wifes)
    2002 1800 Project Phat Bike

My apologies I dont have a sears jack I have a kobalt that slides under the bike , I just push it under and pull the bike toward me by the bars so its straight up , it has a foot pedal and I just pump. good luck
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudeism

All good stuff from Preacher. A couple of things I would add are: Take your time the first time and find the balance point. The position where both wheels come off the ground at the same time. Once you've done that, use a paint pen or nail polish or whatever to make a small mark on the frame rail so that in the future you can just slide the jack right into the proper position. I also have the red craftsman jack and have had no problems with it. When my bike was stock it slid under it without any hassle. Now with the "cut" shocks I have to push the bike up onto some planking in order to get the jack under it. Having a buddy around when you're gonna lift it is nice, not absolutely necessary but nice. I usually get my kid to help me. I never use the straps. I'm the only person who goes into the garage and it has a good concrete floor so I don't worry about it to much. Some guys say they use them all the time. So do what you're comfortable with. Always set the weight of the bike on one of the locks (there are three) that makes the lift a stand.
    Jimbo. 1800c, Drag Bars, Drag Pipes, Chrome Wheels, 31T Ring Gear, BadX Extreme Seat, SOTMC Shocks, 200 Rear Tire, Elimination of all Non-essentials, Kingdom of Kicks.

I know it is not in our genes but remember the little white pamphlet that was in the box? READ IT!
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 HID & LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NDAna
    I know it is not in our genes but remember the little white pamphlet that was in the box? READ IT!
    If your referring to the directions , we're men we dont need no stinkin directions
    Phil "I should be ridin " Ford
    06 CBC 1300R Darkside Foots......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudeism

Quote Originally Posted by TennX
    If your referring to the directions , we're men we dont need no stinkin directions
    Yep- I am and apparently some of us do!
    I usually try and be more helpful but dam n, it ain't rocket science.
    Sam/NDAna #15542 IB#38401 '04 1800 C, HID, Audiovox Cruise, 2xDarkSide & enough other stuff to keep me comfortable. Now have H4 HID & LED headlights available NDs.HIDs@gmail.com "Can you see me now?" For DarkSide info go here http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TennX
    Directions Are those those things U READ before U screw up something Damn it Man I always go the hard way and Screw it up first and learn from My Misstakes

I Am A Down and Out "CHROM WHORE"
    Keep it Up Strait

I know it is not in our genes but remember the little white pamphlet that was in the box? READ IT! Rolling Eyes
    NDAna.....smart ass... you can stop rolling your eyes now. I did read the Operator's Manual...DUH. The information in the Operator's Manual is so elementary compared to the advise from folks on this board with practical experience using the jack. Your comments are unnecessary and best kept to yourself.

Thanks everyone else for the feedback. It is appreciated.

06 Candy Black Cherry 1300C with Foots Mod, Chrome rims, final, and swingarm.........and a lot more.

Do a search on PepsX Stand. Get one. I use my lift for 2 things...to get it up high enough to put on my stand, and to get it up high enough to take the stand out and put it back on the ground. The yellow jack is easier to deal with than the red, but lots of folks have the red and they're peachy happy about it. The stand is SO much more rock solid than the jack. I know that LOTS of people have had LOTS of luck with jacks and keeping the bike on the jack for prolonged periods. I bet that nobody has ever knocked a bike off a stand if it was placed correctly, but I'd bet SOMEONE has fallen off their jack due to failure or stupidity. They wobble on the jack a bit, makes me nervous as all get out.
    Ex-X-Rider... Now on a Kawasaki Concours 1400! Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!

I have a MAL-2C jack on order. Anyone have any problems with them in the past? I got it because it will drop down to a 2-1/2 height.
    '03 1800C; Rinehart pipes; Mustang seat; Thunder Mfg air cleaner; PCIII; Memphis Fats windshield; Peaceful Cruisin' bib; Chrome 1300 Final drive switch and Kewl Metal beauty ring; Kuryakyn chrome covers all over - Spread the dirt!!!

They wobble on the jack a bit, makes me nervous as all get out.
    Thanks Hunter. The wobble is what worries me. I have the yellow sears jack and the Pepsx stand.....both xmas presents. I plan to do a practice run tomorrow.

I'm Morgan...Hunter is the guy I quoted. LOL

That jack and that stand together are a great combo, lots of people have both together, and you'll find they compliment each other very very well.

What I do is leave the bike on the side stand, slide the jack in from the other side, make sure that the rails are under the frame with about 1" of the jack rails sticking out, and start jacking. I go fairly slow as the bike goes upright and lays down on the high side and settles onto the jack. Then I raise it all the way up to a height a couple inches higher than the pepsx stand. I position the stand and slowly lower the bike onto it. I probably spend several minutes longer than I need to to make sure it's all lined up under the frame, but hey, 2 extra minutes each time if I never drop it, I think I win. LOL If you raise the jack much higher than the pepsx stand, your inclination will be incorrect about where to put the stand because the bike moves thru and arch as it lowers. I do everything REAL slow, especially when I release the lock and I'm lowering the bike by releasing pressure.

I'm sure there are guys who do it more often that can and do raise and lower a lot faster than I do. And maybe I'm a Nervous Nellie about it, but I haven't dropped it yet. LOL
    Ex-X-Rider... Now on a Kawasaki Concours 1400! Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!

I'm Morgan...Hunter is the guy I quoted. LOL

That jack and that stand together are a great combo, lots of people have both together, and you'll find they compliment each other very very well.

What I do is leave the bike on the side stand, slide the jack in from the other side, make sure that the rails are under the frame with about 1" of the jack rails sticking out, and start jacking. I go fairly slow as the bike goes upright and lays down on the high side and settles onto the jack. Then I raise it all the way up to a height a couple inches higher than the pepsx stand. I position the stand and slowly lower the bike onto it. I probably spend several minutes longer than I need to to make sure it's all lined up under the frame, but hey, 2 extra minutes each time if I never drop it, I think I win. LOL If you raise the jack much higher than the pepsx stand, your inclination will be incorrect about where to put the stand because the bike moves thru and arch as it lowers. I do everything REAL slow, especially when I release the lock and I'm lowering the bike by releasing pressure.

I'm sure there are guys who do it more often that can and do raise and lower a lot faster than I do. And maybe I'm a Nervous Nellie about it, but I haven't dropped it yet. LOL

Thanks Morgan for the information. Just what I am looking for. Sorry for the name mix up.

I place two 1 x 6 pieces of wood, beveled at the ends for easier roll up onto the boards, one for the front tire and one for the rear tire. Roll the bike up on the two boards and there is now enough clearance to get the jack under the frame. Make sure you get the jack toward the rear of the bike frame. jack it up slowly. If you are going to leave it on the jack, put the jack safety bar down and lower the jack until the safety bars come in contact with the safety stops on the jack base frame. This way, if the jack loses pressure, the bike will not fall. Tie the bike down with straps if you are going to work on it while it is up in the air.

Look into purchasing a pepsx bike stand. Very solid and it works great with your jack. Oops, I see you got a pepsx stand also, good for you. You will not need any tie downs with the pepsx stand.
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas!
    States I've visited on a MC

'04 VTX1800C, magenta dress
    '06 Goldwing, dark red comfort package

Quote Originally Posted by Quietrider
    I know it is not in our genes but remember the little white pamphlet that was in the box? READ IT! Rolling Eyes
    NDAna.....smart ass... you can stop rolling your eyes now. I did read the Operator's Manual...DUH. The information in the Operator's Manual is so elementary compared to the advise from folks on this board with practical experience using the jack. Your comments are unnecessary and best kept to yourself.

Have the yellow sears. I read the instructions and felt they were pretty good - no issues here. Only suggestion I have is to try it on a heavy box or something and practice it couple of times - especially the release part so you don't bang the bike.

2007 VTX1300R Dark Red Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by Quietrider

Have been called worse but you don't know me well enough to call me out like that. If you can't figure out how to work a jack then maybe you oughta leave the bike on the ground.
    Or maybe do a search for some info if you don't want some good natured fun poked at you.

Have been called worse but you don't know me well enough to call me out like that.
    Or maybe do a search for some info if you don't want some good natured fun poked at you.
    No, I don't know you and can only try to determine your character by the words and such that you put in your response. Rolling eyes tells me you are annoyed and think the question to be stupid. My apology if that is an incorrect interpretation.

If you can't figure out how to work a jack then maybe you oughta leave the bike on the ground. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
    Rolling Eyes again. Smiley face would be a lot better if you are only poking fun but good advice about keeping it on the ground. It will remain there until I am most comfortable with moving it.

Good advice as well. I did, gained some information there but wanted to get advise from folks experienced in using the product. IMO...You didn't have any to offer so you should have not responded at all.

I also noticed that you are in sales. Surely you don't use the rolling eyes thing or come across as arrogant as you have on this post in your sales.

If you two can't get along, you can both go to your rooms until you can play nice.

2003 VTX 1800 C

I know a lot of folk say to grab a pepsx stand for the bikes but I have to tell ya I have found the one from Harbor Freight for $37 to be really handy. It has rollers, and is height adjustable. It works fine on both my 1300 and 1800 allows me to move the bikes around easily while they are up for the winter months, or changing oil etc....

05 1300R, BadX, "C" Risers,Switchblade Shield.

SAVE YER BUTT!!... MAKE BADX YOUR FRIEND TOO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecarver
    I know a lot of folk say to grab a pepsx stand for the bikes but I have to tell ya I have found the one from Harbor Freight for $37 to be really handy. It has rollers, and is height adjustable. It works fine on both my 1300 and 1800 allows me to move the bikes around easily while they are up for the winter months, or changing oil etc....

+1 just ordered one myself along with a jack that was only $59. You can't be a jack and stand for $100 shipped to your door!

Hey Quietrider--Develop a sence of humor.
    When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose--BOB Dylan
    Silver 06 F spec3

Hey Quietrider--If you plan to post on this board I would suggest that you develop a sence of humor. We all poke fun at each other and it's not taken to heart, so you may want to cool it there fireball.
    Ok Crowbar. You can just crawl back under that rock now. Just poking fun you know....he he..

COOL
    When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose--BOB Dylan
    Silver 06 F spec3

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbar
    That's what I'm talkin' about!

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbar
    I think you meant..

2007 VTX1300R Dark Red Metalic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.