License Plate Light Removal
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: License Plate Light Removal

Default License Plate Light Removal

I am trying to remove the license plate light from my 1300C. I have taken the housing and everything off, except there is 1 wire in the back of the light that runs directly into the center of the light and I cannot get it out. I really do not want to cut it, any ideas?
    Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Are you just trying to replace the bulb, or remove the whole thing from the bike?

To replace the bulb, here's what the Service Manual says:

Remove the bolt and bulb socket cover from the rear fender.
    Turn the socket counterclockwise and remove it.
    Pull the license light bulb out of the socket and replace it with a new one.

Looking at the diagram, the bolt is installed pointing down, with the hex head at the top of the bulb housing.

Eddie
    2004 Red 1300S, Clayton Mod, Ultim. LowRider w/ Driv & Pass Backrests, wishmasterg Riser, Cobra Eng Grd w/ Floorbrds, Pass. Floorbrds, Honda Dlx Sissy Bar&Dlx Luggage Rack, Lightbar, 19" Memphis Wndshld, Memphis Lowers, TourMaster Zipper-Removable Bags, HDL Fender Tip, Chrome V-Radiator, Freeway Blasters, Turn Signal Beeper, Remote-Controlled LED Lighting, Backoff Module, X-Hinge, Garmin 2610 GPS

I am removing the entire light from the bike. On the back of the light there are two wires, one has a plug on it and the other goes into the center of the light socket. Is there a way to remove the socket and/or wire without cutting it?
    Scott

CUT IT!!!!...(Thats all you can do...or follow it into the right side cover and mess with the whole bundle there)...Brown wire by chance?....cut it!!!!

I cut it and replaced the lamp with a RADIANT tag bracket/lamp and install round terminals
    2006 VTX 1300 C Candy Orange
    2004 Shadow Aero 750
    1979 suzuki 185 all terrain

Quote Originally Posted by gildagu
    I cut it and replaced the lamp with a RADIANT tag bracket/lamp and install round terminals
    I am quite interested in how that was done! More info please!
    ........His; 2006 Candy Tangerine VTX 1300C...................
    ................... Hers; 2004 Black VTX 1300C......................

"Treat every day as if it were your first and every opportunity as if it were your last."
    www.midatlanticxriders.com

Thanks so much for the link!! This mod just jumped to the top of my to-do list!!

Default Re: License Plate Light Removal

Quote Originally Posted by scottc_ohio
    I am trying to remove the license plate light from my 1300C. I have taken the housing and everything off, except there is 1 wire in the back of the light that runs directly into the center of the light and I cannot get it out. I really do not want to cut it, any ideas?
    CUT IT. No other choice. If you ever go back to using the stock setup, that's what solder and shrink wrap are for.

Bub Club member #361

OK guys thanks for the help.

But, I have another question. I bought a license plate frame that has a brake light and license light, however it only has two wires. The instructions state "Wire one each to your brake and tail lamp circuits or together for an extra bright stop or running light or use your imagination."

Any advice?

What about the ground wire that was hooked up to the old license plate light, where should I hook it up?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottc_ohio
    OK guys thanks for the help.

But, I have another question. I bought a license plate frame that has a brake light and license light, however it only has two wires. The instructions state "Wire one each to your brake and tail lamp circuits or together for an extra bright stop or running light or use your imagination."

Any advice?

What about the ground wire that was hooked up to the old license plate light, where should I hook it up?
    What colors are the wires? I think it may be: hook up either the brake or the lamp light. Or together for an extra bright stop or running light.

I don't know why it would only have two wires???? Is their any type of tab for mounting the ground???

"Treat every day as if it were your first and every opportunity as if it were your last."
    www.midatlanticxriders.com

No there is no tab for mounting the ground. This unit has both a brake light and also the license plate light, each light has one wire. Not sure what the heck to do with the ground, I am really stumped.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil (not)
    Thanks so much for the link!! This mod just jumped to the top of my to-do list!!
    Thanx again for the link! Did the mod today. I think the look is much improved. This Signal Dynamics plate frame has an LED run/brake light in it as well.

London, Ontario, Canada, Third Stone from Sun...

I did it this way. No drilling or cutting, just a Radiantz bracket and solder.

M.
    2004 VTX-C Silver
    Mustang seat, Cobra handrail and rack, Drag Specialties tach, Formotion clock, Madco Cam Lock, Hick Clutch Tension Reducer, some extra bling and of course, the sticker mods.

Don't cut the brown wire the bike will self destruct if you do, cut the black wire, oh thank god I just saved your life
    06 1300c wanting lots, but can't stop taking stuff of it for now.

London, Ontario, Canada, Third Stone from Sun...

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1122
    Don't cut the brown wire the bike will self destruct if you do, cut the black wire, oh thank god I just saved your life
    lol, snip, click, tick, tick, tick.... do you hear that? Is something ticking? What's ticking?

M.
    2004 VTX-C Silver
    Mustang seat, Cobra handrail and rack, Drag Specialties tach, Formotion clock, Madco Cam Lock, Hick Clutch Tension Reducer, some extra bling and of course, the sticker mods.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.