How-to: Changing brake pads on my '02 VTX1800C
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How-to: Changing brake pads on my '02 VTX1800C

Default How-to: Changing brake pads on my '02 VTX1800C

Thanks to everybody who has posted on this topic in the past; I used some of that info to change out the brake pads on my '02 VTX1800C this weekend.

Here's what I did... I bought 3 sets of pads via eBAY.

On the front, one side at a time, I:

1. Located and removed the rubber stopper that's called the brake pin cover

2. Unloosened the brake pin slightly using a "30" hex wrench

3. Removed the front bolt that holds the caliper to the frame of the wheel

4. Loosened the rear bolt that holds the caliper in place just enough to swing the caliper up and out from the rotor

5. Depressed the pistons by inserting a flat head screwdriver bween the old pads

6. Continued to remove the pad pin such that the outer pad fell out

7. Snapped it's replacement pad in

8. Pulled the pad pin out enough to drop the inner pad

9. Snapped it's replacement pad in

10. Put the pad pin back in but didn't tighten all the way

11. Spread the pads a little with a flathead screwdriver to ensure they'd clear the rotor

12. Swung the caliper back in place and rpelced the one bolt and tightened the other and then tightened the pad pin

The rear brake would have been even easier except that I didn't have a long pad pin hex bit. The pad pin is extremely recessed and I have to buy a long "30" bit for it. I'll do that later.

Greg
    Greg in SE Virginia
    2000 Harley UC
    Gone, but not forgotten: VTX1300S, VTX1800C, Aero 750 (couch on wheels)

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Good going!

And on that rear...they are famous for being "tough" to get out. Definitely get a good long shank allen wrench.!
    Broke but Stress-Free
    Member #3477. 2002 vtx1800C, Vance&Hynes,PIII,K&N Filter, modified airbox, Audiovox cruise, Kury offset highway pegs, and thanks to RealBob a Lindby bar to prop my feet! And member of the Darkside on 6/12/06 @ 26.4K

Be sure to buy a top quality hex wrench. Rounding off the hex wrench and screwing up the pad pin while in the middle of the job makes for a lot of frustration and lost time.

Jack
    All that is needed for the evil to succeed is for the decent human beings to do nothing.

Darkside Bridgestone Potenza G019 grid 205/60/16 V-rated, 2002 VTX1800C with a bunch of extra crap it probably doesn't need.

How many miles on the bike and....did you measure the pads you took out? Just wondering.
    =================
    In the land of the blind
    the one eyed man is king
    =================

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey
    How many miles on the bike and....did you measure the pads you took out? Just wondering.
    Around 22K miles; the pads have been squealing up front for some time now. After changing out the front, I noticed how much less I have to squeeze the brake handle. I'm hoping the same for the back brake foot lever after I get a good hex wrench set.

Greg
    Greg in SE Virginia
    2000 Harley UC

Default The back brake pads were even easier

Once I got that pesky pad pin out, the back brakes were a breeze to change on my '02 XC.

I couldn't find a hex bit in metric that fit on the end of a socket wrench. I ened up using Pep Boy's l-shaped hex wrench "something-Pal" that had a plastic handle for the hex wrench to give me enough torque to unlock the pad pin.

First, though, I pushed back the pistons then loosened the bolt nearest the shock (not like the VTX1300 pix that others refer to), swung the caliper out a little, took out the pad pin, easily replaced the brake pads, reinstalled the pad pin, replaced the bolt, pressed on the brake pedal to seat the pads and bada-bing, it was done.

It's nice to be able to save $150-200 or so doing these things myself since I'm not a mechanic by any means. And finding how-to instructions here has been a great help!

Greg
    Greg in SE Virginia
    2000 Harley UC

Default Re: How-to: Changing brake pads on my '02 VTX1800C

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.