Honda VTX Forum banner

Tuning to the MAX 101

759 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Evi|grin 
#1 ·
I just have to give a plug for Cycle Solutions in Hartford City IN. Chris and his crew do about 6000 bikes a year of all kinds and styles. I caught him at home two weeks ago and even though it was a off day for him ( he travels ALOT) he said he would tune my X if I would make the chilly ride to his place,about 135 miles at 42 degree weather. It was worth it :!: The dyno showed 20 more horses and 14 lbs more torque. I think the other thing that was great was seeing the fun he had doing it , ITS WHAT HE DOES. Its a pleasure to watch a pro at work :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes he changed air- fuel mixture ratios by throttle position. You can change these numbers youself if you have a computor and the software on it but without the dyno your just guessing at what the bike likes. :idea:

G
#4 ·
From what I saw when my custom map was done the goal was to acheive the best F/A ratio to obtain the most power in every gear. My tuner had my power levels flat from 2nd to 5th gear in the the power band. It my only be making 92Hp at the wheel, but pulls like a freight train in all gears. Every tuner has their own tricks, but beware of folks who give some big peak number. Peak numbers are not real world riding.

#5 ·
speedfrk said:
From what I saw when my custom map was done the goal was to acheive the best F/A ratio to obtain the most power in every gear. My tuner had my power levels flat from 2nd to 5th gear in the the power band. It my only be making 92Hp at the wheel, but pulls like a freight train in all gears. Every tuner has their own tricks, but beware of folks who give some big peak number. Peak numbers are not real world riding.
:shock: :? :roll:

#6 ·
speedfrk said:
My goal for my Multi when i bought new exhaust was not peak hp but midrange hp/torque since not many full systems show more than a 5hp peak gain. I only gained 2hp peak but over 5hp and 8ft lbs in the midrange. The difference is VERY noticeable because the gain is in the area im usually riding.

My VTX is setup for good low and midrange and even with the 1300 final pulls very hard. The average for all my dyno runs is about 99hp and 115ftlbs but the torque curve is VERY flat. When 100+ ftlbs of torque comes in really early in the rpm range and climbs predictably without any dips the bike is a total joy for street use.

FOR STREET USE peak hp tuning just isnt worth it to me. Some "so called" performance mods even hurt the low and mid range then only give marginal peak gains. Thats fine if your at WOT all the time near redline. Some guys love a full blown monster and that cool to see those too. Watching the hi-end builds progress over time on this forum have given me lots of ideas and are fun to read about.

I probably wont go farther than just some good street porting on the heads if i ever do any internal mods. With the right pipes, intake and tune that fits your riding style, the VTX is still very impressive even if its not the cruiser hp king.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.