Removing Kuryakyn ISO grips
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing Kuryakyn ISO grips

Default Removing Kuryakyn ISO grips

Is there a safe way to remove a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips, so they can be reinstalled after some other work has been done? the reason I am asking, is that I would like to add a heated grip element to the inside of the handle bars and I need to remove these grips to make this happen.

Any advice would be great

Thanks
    Gregg

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Removing Kuryakyn ISO grips

I have found the following method very successful for removing grips without damage.

1. Remove the left side switch box and lever clamp from the bars. Lay a good thick towel over the tank and set them on
    top.

2. Now that you have the inside of the grip exposed, use a long thin ice pick and carefully shove it between the grip and
    the bar, now take a can of WD-40 with the little red nozzle and spray down inside the grip. Do this in 5 or 6 locations
    around the grip, then start twisting, it should slide right off.

3. Now that you've got the hang of it, remove the right side switch box and take the throttle cables lose. Then slide the
    sleeve and grip off as one piece. Take it over to the work bench and repeat the process, be very careful not to break
    the throttle sleeve as it is plastic.

4. Clean the grips and throttle sleeve with warm water and some good dish soap and they should be good as new.

Use this method at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any puncture wounds to fingers while using the ice pick!!!!!!!!

Good luck, and as always your mileage may vary.

Later,
    MT
    "He who talks the most, does the least."

Default Re: Removing Kuryakyn ISO grips

As an adjunct to MT's method, you may also try using compressed air.
    Remove the cap on the left grip and blow air into the handlebar. The right/throttle grip should bulge and loosen enough to remove. Reinstall the throttle grip, without glue of course, and use the same method to loosen the left grip. Best of luck.

Nice bike MT.

2003 VTX1800 ARRRGH

VTX BEATS HARLEY and Hitler is Pissed!
    http://www.break.com/usercontent/201...wasted-1912477

Red Knights MC
    "343"

Did you actually try this method to remove the ISO grips? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWasted View Post
    As an adjunct to MT's method, you may also try using compressed air.
    Remove the cap on the left grip and blow air into the handlebar. The right/throttle grip should bulge and loosen enough to remove. Reinstall the throttle grip, without glue of course, and use the same method to loosen the left grip. Best of luck.

Nice bike MT.
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    Hondaline luggage carrier, grab rails, passenger back rest, windshield, saddle bags, Ultimate low rider seat, passenger seat, rider back rest, passenger back rest, and Rivco passenger floorboards with link arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinkydriver View Post
    Did you actually try this method to remove the ISO grips? Thanks.
    That's the way I do it everytime on any bike.
    I do not want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying.http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/
    05 1300 N, HK 3, CP Punishers, custom paint, full fairing, Michelin HydraEdge 205/65/16, Tsukayu bags

Glad to know that it actually works on the ISO grip.

Slinky

Quote Originally Posted by toasted_3111979 View Post
    That's the way I do it everytime on any bike.
    2007 VTX 1300 R
    Hondaline luggage carrier, grab rails, passenger back rest, windshield, saddle bags, Ultimate low rider seat, passenger seat, rider back rest, passenger back rest, and Rivco passenger floorboards with link arm.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.