Comprehensive Half-Helmet Review with graphs and pictures!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Half-Helmet Review with graphs and pictures!

Default Comprehensive Half-Helmet Review with graphs and pictures!

Like many of you, I've been searching for a truly low-profile DOT half-helmet for years. To be perfectly honest my quest has reached holy-grail-like proportions and I have probably gone further than most reasonable people would bother. I've been disappointed more times than I care to mention, especially since I bought my helmets online without the benefit of trying them on or seeing a picture of them on a model. We all know about the dreaded "mushroom-cap" and for me, nothing sucks the coolness away from a slick ride more than looking like you've got half a bowling ball on your head.

I've spent a lot of time on this discussion group and not only have you guys saved me a lot of money through the classifieds and product advice, I've also learned more about my ride than I could from any service manual. Since I work in the Design and Photography field, and I've already wasted a lot of money buying all these different helmets, I thought I might as well put them to good use, and besides, I figured that this would be a good way to say thanks and hopefully put this topic to rest for a lot of you.

It's probably important for me to mention a few disclaimers about my review, first, although one helmet scored highest and was the best based in my own personal opinion, a helmet is a pretty personal item and your results may not be the same, also, I am not affiliated or in the employ of any helmet manufacturer or retailer and this review was done purely on my own, and although I have a clear personal favorite, this is a review, not an endorsement, and was done completely objectively. Additionally, I made every effort to research all my facts thoroughly, but if I made an unintentional mistake, I apologize in advance.

My noggin is exactly 22 1/8" in circumference and in all three helmets tested I am a size medium. The three helmets tested were the Head Trip™ extended half, the Daytona™ Skull Cap and the Skid Lid™ Original. I bought the latter two online and the first one through the 1-800 number found at the carbonfiberhelmets.com website (they do not have online ordering). Out of the three, my least favorite was the Skid Lid™. This helmet was the heaviest and least comfortable of the three, mainly because the straps rubbed on top of my ears rather than surrounding them (see photo), this may have to do with my own warped skull, but I didn't have this problem with the other helmets. The Skid Lid™ liner was also not as snug and form-fitting as the others and although the shell is the same size as the Daytona™ it was definitely the most "mushroomy".

The Daytona™ Skull Cap came in a distant second place. This helmet scored highest with comfort, it's very plush and form-fitting and it came down further on my skull than the Skid Lid™ almost touching the top of my ears (see photo). Although the Daytona™ is quite comfy it's appearance and design lines are probably the least attractive of the three. This helmet is available with a quick-connect clasp for an additional $9.95 and in a Carbon Fiber model for $149.95

As you can see by the graph with all the tech-specs, the Head Trip™ helmet is lighter, has a lower profile, and is made with a 50/50 combination of Carbon Fiber and Ballistic quality Kevlar™ rather than ABS Plastic. The inner shock-resistant padding is made of modified polyurethane with a styrene coating rather than the expanded Polystyrene used by the other helmets. This allows for DOT rated shock absorption with a reduced thickness. The Head Trip™ does not have a cushy fabric inner lining like the others, but this has no bearing on comfort. The Head Trip™ instead comes with three different thickness foam inserts that Velcro™ to the padding so that you can "fine tune" your helmet to fit your noggin. The Head Trip™ scored lowest on price, but it's also made with far superior materials, it's also the only one of the three made in the USA.

This Head Trip™ was by far my favorite of the three, and although it's clearly more expensive, to me it was worth every penny. The Head Trip™ is lighter, stronger and has a lower profile than any of the others I tested and was also extremely comfortable on long distance runs, with no "helmet fatigue" whatsoever. The only downside on the Head Trip™ was it's comparative cost, so with that in mind I called Advanced Carbon Composites, and spoke to the owner about my review. I told him that in exchange for a discount for anyone who reads this, I would give him all my photography and graphs for him to use. He agreed to give any one who mentions "Alex's Review" a 10% discount when they order. If your interested in the other helmets reviewed, they are both available at a variety of places (and prices) online including motorhelmets.com and ebay (that's where I got the Skid Lid™ and Daytona™).

I hope my review was enlightening, and I hope you all find some value in it, and if it motivates some of you to wear helmets who might not have normally been inclined, well that's cool too.

Stay safe and ride often…

Alex A
    Chaska, MN
    2005 VTX 1300R

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Comprehensive Half-Helmet Review with graphs and pictures!

nice job alex...

I've been running a daytona skull cap for accouple years now, and it was the best I had found to date. That Head Trip one looks sick, but my daytona only cost $30. Thanks for the reviews and pictures though!! time to start saving my pennies
    What's the most dangerous part on a motorcycle?
    The nut that connects the seat to the handlebar

Thanks so much for a great review, AND the mentioned discount, even if I don't use it I appreciate you doing this on behalf of all the members.

thanks again

My pleasure. Have a great riding season…
    Alex A
    Chaska, MN
    2005 VTX 1300R

Great review; thanks for taking the time to compile this information.

Chrome Cowgirl- Real & Steel
    1800N Carlini Apes DS & 1800R Carlini Apes- the back-up
    ~Geyatahi Soquili~
    Rebecca WildHorse
    SIS National Director/CEO
    www.SistersInSpirit.org

You betcha. Sorry about the ugly guy in the pictures, cheapest model I could find.
    Alex A
    Chaska, MN
    2005 VTX 1300R

I also have the extended 1/2 helmet from Advanced Carbon Composites size XL. By their sizing chart, it says I needed a L. When it arrived it was too small. I returned it for an XL. No one has ever given me the customer service that they have...they are superior to anyone I've ever dealt with anywhere...which made me feel better about dropping $200 on a half helmet.

My review is absolutely love it. Honestly with speeds under 70mph and no windshield...I cannot tell I even have it on. At higher interstate speeds the cross winds does try to blow the helmet backward on my head. Not upward like its choking me but backward. Spring a little more change on the leather chin strap also.
    Titanium '06 1300C

Very nice write up wish I saw it before I got my Head trip helmet could have saved 10%. I agree totally with the head trip being the best out there in terms of comfort and looks. Just a side note I bought the non-dot head trip helmet it is a little smaller than the dot pictured. If you call advanced carbon composites they will tell you there non-dot which is 109.00 passed all the dot tests except the spear test. This is were they drop a weighted spear on top of the helmet. The reason it fails is the reason for it's smaller size less foam. I went this route for two reasons 1. cost it was about 70.00 dollars less 2. size it is smaller. I am very confident that a spear won't be piercing my head any time soon. So even though my helmet is not fully DOT approved I am confident it will save my head if I fall off and smack it on the pavement. Also this things weighs nothing it is so light you will not even know your wearing it.

Super Super review. I own the Daytona, and I really like it especially for the price. But I can see the Head Trip seems to be worth the money. Will definitely look into that on my next helmet purchase because of your review.
    2002 VTX 1800-S

Well done review for us half helmet guys (and gals). Thanks.

Dan
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by VTX1300Mike
    Thanks so much for a great review, AND the mentioned discount, even if I don't use it I appreciate you doing this on behalf of all the members.

thanks again
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What Mike said!
    Sasha - The Black Mamba - 2005 1300c 8*Rake - 200mm Rear

Nice post Alex. Unfortunately for me it came about a week to late. I just got my daytona (online) a few days ago. It is not to bad and the best I've found so far but if I had seen this post prior to ordering I think you would have sold me on the Head Trip. Like they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words." I too have been on a personal quest to find a helmet that doesnt remind me a Kazoo. I want DOT protection but not in a full face. Already have accumulated 5 or 6 helmets................. maybe one last one.

Well, all I can suggest is you do what I'm gonna do, all the other helmets I've bought are going on ebay. I figure I can get about twenty or so bucks for each of them and put that towards what I spent on the Head Trip. Here's the thing, one of the reasons I bought the Skid Lid and the Daytona is because they were cheap and at that point I had become pretty skeptical about half-helmets in general so I figured, if they're mushroom caps, at least I didn't pay too much for them, but, if I knew then what I know now…that the Head Trip is the last half-helmet I'll ever buy, I would have spent the money first. The big expense was not buying the Head Trip, it was buying the others that I've gotten in my search for the "right" one.

It was an expensive learning experience, but if I can save somebody some time, dough and headache it will be worthwhile.

There was something else I thought of too, If any of you have had experiences with the countless other brands (positive or negative) post them on this thread, the helmets I tested were only the ones that I've taken on long rides, I've tried on countless big name helmets at Dealers that didn't even pass the showroom test (too big, too heavy, etc). So put your experiences down I'd be interested (and so would others) to hear what you've dealt with.
    Alex A
    Chaska, MN
    2005 VTX 1300R

I have had a Head Trip for about 2 years and love it! I have the non dot Carbon fiber & Kevlar helmet. Very light & very comfortable you don't know it's there. Test have shown to be stronger than dot helmets. Dot requries a 1/2 inch padding in side and this one is less. The only thing I don't like is the one strap hit my ear just right to funnel the wind into my ear. Maybe it's my melon head of goofy ears. So I like to wear ear plugs. Which are better in the long run for your hearing anyway.
    Kazoo-Flinstones

HD Fairing, Roadhouse Dooleys, Forcewinder intake, Scar mod, Ultimate seats, Progressive 440 shocks & springs, Possum Pusher, Peaceful Cruisin tank bib, and much added chrome.

Just placed my order and was the first to mention your review! However they didn't have my size & color ready so it will be 2 weeks. Better late than never!

~Geyatahi Soquili~
    Rebecca WildHorse
    www.SistersInSpirit.org

Awesome! What color did you get?

They told me two weeks too, but I got it in about a week, so you never know.
    Alex A
    Chaska, MN
    2005 VTX 1300R

After much consideration I decided on flat black.

One thing for sure their customer service is top notch!

~Geyatahi Soquili~
    Rebecca WildHorse
    www.SistersInSpirit.org

Howdy,

Thanks for the review!! I have been looking for a new half helmet, and hadn't been able to decide what model to get.

I have to figure out what color and options I want before I put an order in for an Advanced Carbon Composites Head Trip helmet.

I have a couple of questions:

Has anyone bought one of the helmets with the visor option, and how do you like it?

Has anyone tried the padded ear flaps, and do you like them? Are they removeable?

Dose the "natural carbon" look charcoal/silver or black or bronze in the direct sun light?

Thanks!!
    2003 VTX-1800R, Titanium
    V&H Big Shots
    Power Comander III USB

Rezin

Quote Originally Posted by WildHorse
    Just be ready to be HOT. My wife just ditched her flat black helmet. Captured a LOT more heat than her old gloss black one. I mean it got hot to the touch on those real bright sunny days............

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser 5875
    I have a couple of questions:
    Has anyone tried the padded ear flaps, and do you like them? Are they removable?
    Thanks!!
    I did inquire about the ear flaps and unfortunately they are not removable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezin
    Just be ready to be HOT. My wife just ditched her flat black helmet. Captured a LOT more heat than her old gloss black one. I mean it got hot to the touch on those real bright sunny days............
    LOL I was just being sarcastic w/ the "much consideration" because 3 of my helmets are black. I haven't noticed them being any warmer than my custom pink helmet by VTXOAK.....well except at a stop that is.

~Geyatahi Soquili~
    Rebecca WildHorse
    www.SistersInSpirit.org

I guess everyone who knows me is correct...

I must be an IDIOT

I have read & re-read your informative review but don't see a link or phone number to speak/order a helmet... and this is after I'm reading WH just ordered a flat black one... Damn... I feel so stupid, worthless and embarased to be writing this post

But I will suck up the little self confidence I have left and ask if someone could post the phone number for the Composite Helmet

Thx
    "The American Paratrooper exists to give the enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." ~~ General George S Patton.

'03 1800S '04 1300S

Quote Originally Posted by scup

But I will suck up the little self confidence I have left and ask if someone could post the phone number for the Composite Helmet

Thx
    Here you go:

Advance Carbon Composites
    800-300-9813
    carbonfiberhelmets.com
    2003 VTX-1800R, Titanium
    V&H Big Shots
    Power Comander III USB

Thanks Cruiser!
    "The American Paratrooper exists to give the enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." ~~ General George S Patton.

'03 1800S '04 1300S

I ordered my helmet from Advanced Carbon Composites with the ear flaps. They sucked. They are removable without damaging the ear flaps or straps. I took a razor blade & just cut the stitching where they're sewed on. If anyone wants some free ear flaps...lpm me & they're yours.

My problem with the ear flaps is that they stuck out too far forward. I felt like a horse with blinders on. They really irritated me b/c I was able to see them in my peripheral vision.
    Titanium '06 1300C

I finally made up my mind on colors and options and placed an order yesterday!

They said the helment was in stock and would ship out today.

Thanks again for your review.
    2003 VTX-1800R, Titanium
    V&H Big Shots
    Power Comander III USB

What did you decide on?

~Geyatahi Soquili~
    Rebecca WildHorse
    www.SistersInSpirit.org

What did you decide on?
    I went with the natural carbon fiber color and the leather ear flaps.
    2003 VTX-1800R, Titanium
    V&H Big Shots
    Power Comander III USB

2002 VTX 1800 Retro

R.I.P.J.M.J.

Do not throw sticks at the three legged dog.

It will think you are playing.

Howdy,

My helmet just came in today and I am very happy with it!

Thanks again for your review. It helped me make my decision and now that I have the helmet in hand, I'm sure it was a good one.

This is by far the best looking DOT half helmet I have seen.

Thanks again,
    2003 VTX-1800R, Titanium
    V&H Big Shots
    Power Comander III USB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.