1800 big bore kit
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1800 big bore kit

Default 1800 big bore kit

i want to make my 1800 as fast as possible.... i already have an air cleaner, exhaust, and a power commander. i want to add the big bore kit that will bring the bike up to 2000cc. how much does it cost, parts and instalation? is that something that can be done by one of your buddies with of a couple cases of beer and the right tools... or should it be done professionally? is there anything else i can do or should do at the same time as the bore kit? someone said cams or injecters? not really sure and would definitly appreciate some feedback, brand names or list of parts would be great too
    thanks
    dan
    2005 VTX 1800F2, 3" BIG STRAIGHTS, KYRYAKYN PRO HYPER CHARGER, POWER COMMANDER, MUSTANG SEAT, ISO FLAME GRIPS AND PEGS

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 1800 big bore kit

What all comes in a big bore kit? If its anything like a sportbike big bore kit you'll need to do valves, springs, maybe rods the list is probably as long as you wanna make it really.
    D.

http://www.dynoman.net/engine/pistons/honda.html

Scroll down to the bottom. Wiseco makes some pistons to meet your needs. I thought I saw a post on the board about someone boring out some extra cylinder room too.

I have no idea how hard this is, but you're basically going to have to tear the entire engine apart. I wouldn't attempt this without a full time mechanic nearby, unless you're a fulltime mechanic yourself, or really hot stuff with a wrench, or you have a lot of time and money to burn gettin' her put back together.

Good luck!
    2005 VTX 1800R - With bags, soon to be custom painted

Do a search on the subject...for the time and money,you get very little gain...

2002 1800 RETRO SPOKE ILLUSION BLUE, SOLD May 2014
    Bought 2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic June 2014

The Wiesco big bore kit was built using my friends motor. He loves it, it was alot of work considering back in 2002 there was no aftermarket parts available for the 1800, he had alot of custom work into making the bike run right with that kit. Whoever says you get very little gain is off their rocker. He leaves me sooo far in the dust it when we race it isn't even funny. There is NO cruisers in this area that can touch him. With that said anyone wanna press their luck??? He loves to race..
    " to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid!"

2002 VTX1800C - "clapped out". custom paint, lowered, no mirrors, speedo, turn signals, rear seat/pegs, no oil in right fork. big FAT 180 tire. eats Roadstar Warriors for lunch!!
    2001 CBR929RR - yanashiki exhaust, pcIII, scott's damper, air/engine mods, avon shoes, faaaaaast ! !
    1961 CB77 SuperHawk 305 - chopper

Quote Originally Posted by motosteveo
    The Wiesco big bore kit was built using my friends motor. He loves it, it was alot of work considering back in 2002 there was no aftermarket parts available for the 1800, he had alot of custom work into making the bike run right with that kit. Whoever says you get very little gain is off their rocker. He leaves me sooo far in the dust it when we race it isn't even funny. There is NO cruisers in this area that can touch him. With that said anyone wanna press their luck??? He loves to race..

With just a rebore...very little gain...If you want to sink a bunch of money in other work,
    it will go faster...
    .......as far as my rocker,I am still in Sonny....

Just a rebore and it wouldn't even run.

He has the following done:

wiseco big bore kit
    power comander
    v&h pipes
    kury hypercharger
    light porting work while motor was apart.

I guess that I misspoke when I stated that he had alot of custom work, It was just air flow issues... but the Hypercharger straightened it out.

I agree big bore alone.. no gain. But with the bolt ons that go hand in hand with a big bore kit it is a HUGE difference. Everyone puts the bolt ons on anyway... right?

2002 VTX1800C - "clapped out". custom paint, lowered, no mirrors, speedo, turn signals, rear seat/pegs, no oil in right fork. big FAT 180 tire. eats Roadstar Warriors for lunch!!
    2001 CBR929RR - yanashiki exhaust, pcIII, scott's damper, air/engine mods, avon shoes, faaaaaast ! !

Just a rebore and it wouldn't even run.

He has the following done:

wiseco big bore kit
    power comander
    v&h pipes
    kury hypercharger
    light porting work while motor was apart.

I guess that I misspoke when I stated that he had alot of custom work, It was just air flow issues... but the Hypercharger straightened it out.
    I agree big bore alone.. no gain. But with the bolt ons that go hand in hand with a big bore kit it is a HUGE difference. Everyone puts the bolt ons on anyway... right?
    I though the Hyper was one of the least effective aftermarket intakes??
    Wouldnt the Hurricane or Tornado be a better set up??
    ...and when you say rebore,are you just re-sleeving the cylinder?

I am planning to do this soon so I hope to be able to provide some real world results from my experience. In addition to big-bore the pistons are High-Compression so the gains are not simply from the bore.

Anyway, I hope to be reporting some gains over my current configuration.

real results: Honda claims 106 hp on the vtx1800c stock (crank) = about 90-95 (rear wheel.)

Wiseco big bore (with add ons mentioned above) = 132.1 rear wheel dyno tested.

As far as the hypercharger is concerned... dunno. probably not the best.

As far as resleeveing... dunno Wiseco did it 6 years ago... called the friend who has the bike (for dyno results) and does not know how Wiseco did the boring.

real results: Honda claims 106 hp on the vtx1800c stock (crank) = about 90-95 (rear wheel.)

Wiseco big bore (with add ons mentioned above) = 132.1 rear wheel dyno tested.

As far as the hypercharger is concerned... dunno. probably not the best.

As far as resleeveing... dunno Wiseco did it 6 years ago... called the friend who has the bike (for dyno results) and does not know how Wiseco did the boring.
    If it's verifiable...that puts the "very little gain" claims to bed.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=248399

*Actually, the stock 1800 dyno's at 85-88HP stock, at the wheel.
    One of these days I hope to get some time to get a new map and some real numbers, instead of just speculating.
    Is mine much quicker since the over bore? Yes. But don't know how much. I'm basing mine on my 1/4 mile ETs. I ran a best of 11.70 with a custom mapped 113HP (due to other motor mods at the time), a good rear tire and a sticky track.
    After over bore I ran a best of 11.70 but with the same map, a crappy rear tire and a crappy track.
    Torque has definitely improved though! (but again... another variable. I went back to my Muzzy 2:1 from my SuperTrapp 2:1. My torque #s were 7ft.lbs. higher with the Muzzy, previously.)
    I went with a .080" over bore, so I would not have to re-sleeve my cylinders. (I'm just a poor Joe Lunchbox that pays child support. )
    Tim
    ~GONE!~

118 cubic inch, bottle fed, tire smoke'n X. Faster than a speeding ticket!

SEE MY CLASSIFIED FOR WISECO BIG BORE FOR SALE!!!!!! SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY IF YOUR SERIOUS!!!! G

anvil ..I'm really glad I read your post about Muzzy vs Supertrapp...I just yesterday had decided to go with Supertrapp instead of Muzzy....I'm ordering Muzzy today....I'm more interested in power than sound or looks ...
    In the wind

Sound is better with the Muzzy. The first 200 miles it's very quiet. Then it burns in nice. Do know that your pipe pipe will turn a golden color. More blue if you're running lean. It is stainless steel. Not chrome.
    If you want better performance with the Supertrapp, you should add atleast 5 more disks to the 20 it comes with. Less than 20 chokes the motor bad.
    Tim
    ~GONE!~

Disks!! We dont need no stinking disks!!!

I run without them but did buy the extra disks and replacement bolts from the hardware store. The performance difference feels minor (lost some midrange) and i like the sound much better.

Its not warmed up all the way and is running rich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOB-YpFFwnM
    Out of the mouths of babes come profound truths that many adults can not understand

I've got one of David Campbel's 2007cc (122.5Ci) bore kits and love it. You can find him here... http://www.designedperformance.com
    But that was only part of the magic. The rest came from Kevin Staples. from Kevin I got Cams, larger valves, head porting and dual intake.
    You can find him here... http://www.imidc.com
    Kevin managed to squeeze 147Hp out of a stock bore. I'm having an ignition module from Dyno-Jet installed on my X, and we're hoping for uppert 150s. If you really want an X to go fast, these two are the two to chat with.
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12088&dateline=122642  4830

I was scammed by Brian Wiley, owner of Vice Industries Custom Bars!

xpodell ,thats a sweet paint job you have there......

Thanks but it doesn't look like that anymore. Been repainted....again. The one in my signature has been painted only once, this one is on it's second paintjob since the factory painted it. Has the same crystal patern, just used it for a graphic rather than covering the bike in it. This way it looks like it has more color. Same color used (magenta-gold colorshift), just looks brighter, and not as dark.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12088&dateline=122642  4830

Great pics...But how is you have that air filter on the left side ??

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark
    He has the IDC dual intake...
    Lots of intentional and unintentional mods... Loves to test the limits!

Quote Originally Posted by monty26
    I didnt know there was such a thing...
    Hmmmm...Dual Hyperchargers would be pretty wicked looking.....

Quote Originally Posted by monty26
    I didnt know there was such a thing...
    Hmmmm...Dual Hyperchargers would be pretty wicked looking.....
    I have definitely thought about it a couple times... although the slit on the bottom of the hypercharger would look pretty odd on top being that it has to be mounted upside-down on the left side.

The hypercharger will not fit on the dual intake (without some serious custom work). It would look cool, but would not flow well enough to make the cost of the intake worth while. Not to mention there is a slot on the bottom that COMPLETELY eliminates the function of the hypercharger. It can't force air if all the extra air is going out the bottom! Even the set-up that I've got on there now isn't ideal. I'm working on some stuff to make use of the optional "radiused entry" plate that Kevin Staples (creator) makes for the intake. Keep in mind the dual intake is a serious piece of hardware, not just another bolt on filter set-up. The stock intake flows 135cfm with 10" of vacuum. The dual intake flows 185+.
    BIG difference.

Quote Originally Posted by xpodell
    Not to mention there is a slot on the bottom that COMPLETELY eliminates the function of the hypercharger. It can't force air if all the extra air is going out the bottom!
    So that it can get air when you are going in reverse!

The paint looks great.
    Yeh, we broke stuff all the time getting times to mid 9's. On turbo bikes.
    Custom studs in the end to hold the head on. When it blew prior, it bent the frame.

The Scoots 07 Neo S3 03 18C ServMan Wiring Dia
    Making movies - make bomb wires all the same color.

Even without the slit on the Hypercharger, you won't get any "ram air" effect. The bikes aerodynamics will not make that possible. The side of the bike is a negative air zone. It would have to be sticking out ahead of the bike or at least a foot out to the side in fresh air to have any effect. Also it is too small to funnel air in and turn 90* into the throttle body.
    The Hypercharger is for looks only and on the dyno only got (if I recall correctly) 2HP over stock while the Hurricane produced 5HP over stock. Completely removing the stock filter and cover netted 5HP. You will not get any more than that, nor ram air with any intake on the market today.
    Tim
    ~GONE!~

ANV1L.... Do you know how the Barons BAK faired at all??? has anyone ever posted results?? thats what I have and I know you can hear that thing sucking the air in big time??? Just hoping its doing me some good...
    2006 1800 F
    A constant Work in Process

The BAK does well too. I don't know the specific #s though. It has a very large filter surface area. The more area... The more air you can suck in.
    Example: When GP was first designing the Proton 4 he was claiming a 15HP gain with it. I called him out on it and said prove it. He didn't.
    After that I began reading up on how forced air actually works. Look at the hood scoop and how it's designed on a pro stock drag car. Will a Hypercharger or P4 be able to do the same basic thing? Simple answer is no. I have no degree, of course, but I did learn that you can advertise any #s you want and most folks believe it.
    So the guys that claim 10HP with an airbox mod? Nope. I have the dyno sheets (somewhere...) that show +5HP without the stock filter and cover. Runs were done in the time it took to remove it.
    With the right air intake, pipes, and a custom performance mapped PC111 you'll get right around 100HP. Anyone who says 105+ was done with the proverbial "thumb on the scale" or a non current generation dyno.
    I'm just trying to help educate a little here and have no beef if someone runs a Hypercharger, P4, Tornado or BAK. Just to help understand the principles of it, that's all.
    Looks, mostly.
    (Although if you hooked up a leafblower to the front of your throttlebody... it would produce some very interesting #s! )
    Tim
    ~GONE!~

LOL... ya I dont think there will be a Craftsman hanging off of the front of my bike anytime soon..... I personally know that when I start to look for mods like that for my bike... I CAN MAKE MYSELF GO CRAZY !!!!!!! theres so many oppinions and reading on here... oppinions are good... but I would prefer to see the numbers.... So when I bought since I could not find any Good #'s I went with the Looks.... and well the BAK may or may not be the best performance gaining Air intake out there... I just dont Care I ended up buying for looks... and Im Happy with it.... thanks for the info though... its appreciated.
    2006 1800 F
    A constant Work in Process

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.