Had the bike serviced for the spring/summer at my dealer and it cost me $88.00

Rear drive oil
Crankcase oil (synthetic)
All bolts tightened incl. exhaust
Front brakes cleaned to eliminating screech - plenty miles left
Tires inspected. 8000 miles and still plenty of rubber
Anti-freeze checked
Hydraulic levels checked

I was right there with the mechanic during the whole thing.

Their rate is $65/hr .... they charged me $32.50

I think it was a good deal.

#2 ·
Uh, I'm ready to ride there and have them work on MY scoot! Why don't you publish the name of the dealer? In general, dealers get pretty bad press on here, it'd be nice to give one kudos for a change.

#4 ·
You gotta heckuva deal! I jsut got my bike back today after almost 4 weeks in the shop for new tires, valve adjustment, brake fluid change, inspection. I'm ready to ride tomorrow!

Greg

#7 ·
Dealer name

Southern Sportsman in Waycross GA.

They sell Hondas and Suzuki.

When I had new rubber put on the bike the 1st time they could only get the "premium" in 1 week so they only charged me their original quote for the factory Dunlops.

If you come to Waycross and have your bike serviced, tell them John G recommended them.

I may get a little (who knows) but they'll know that I mentioned the price and give you the same deal.

#8 ·
Nice to read this for a change

Yeah, you lucked out with a fair stealer,:oops: um I mean dealer for service.;)

I also have a great local guy who has been in the same location forever and gets his business by word of mouth (doesn't even advertise).

Hard to pass up service :tools: when you know it'll be done right by a pro with years of experience, tons of recommendations and killer prices. :thumbup:

#9 ·
My local dealer...

I take my bike to Full Throttle Motorsports in Council Bluffs, IA for all my service work. I would like to do my own work, but just don't have the time. The Full Throttle staff has been great to me the last 2 years. During the winter months, they cut 33% of their hourly rate, too. They have my bike right now for the full service, and a new front tube and tire.

#10 ·
I believe in general dealers are pretty decent. I know I am treated honestly and fairly by the dealer I patronize.

Your dealer did right by you, and it's good for you to come out and say so!

Perhaps some people just expect too much for nothing and when it doesn't come for free they get all uppity? :dontknow:

Perhaps some people just feel the need to jump on the 'dealers are stealers' bandwagon for some odd reason? :dontknow:

#12 ·
I don't know how I feel about my dealer. The owner is a great guy and family friend but he doesn't take much of a "hands on" approach to the service dept. I'm sure if I was aware of something done wrong, he'd make it right... and quick. So far I've had no complaints but I don't have a mechanical bone in my body so I have to trust that things are being done correctly. I do; however, do my own oil changes and little things like replacing my turn sig.s with Hicks "Nudie bar" (love it btw... When is the rear bar coming out Hick?;)). I replaced my pipes also but when it comes to valves and other "under the tank" sort of things, I pretty much have to leave it up to them (don't have the tools or often the time).

#13 ·
If you do have them service it. . .

:arrow: I wanted to add that if you do have a stealer do your service do the following:

:arrow: Make sure you walk away with your copy of the service contract for the work being done and bring it with you when you return. Unless you trust them like a brother, trying to argue later about what was verbally agreed upon will make you regret not getting it in writing!

:arrow: Don't assume anything will be done because they say they will "Check and adjust as needed". This could mean you pay for a valve adjustment but they only checked it. Take your time to go over and confirm with the service person (get his name) exactly what work they are agreeing to do and what you are paying for (and later that was supposedly performed).

:arrow: Give your bike a good look over before you leave it with them so later when you discover dings, scratches or worse you'll know it wasn't there before. It wouldn't hurt to take some photo's with a date stamp.

:arrow: If they say they are going to replace the oil filter and plugs, look at them at least when you pick the bike up to see if they are indeed new as they should be. Did they fully tighten down the oil drain bolts? If not and they come loose you'll be riding on a puddle of oil!

:arrow: NEVER drive the bike away without checking it out to make sure any bolt that should have been tightened IS tightened. I once discovered a missing front axle nut at a dealership where I had a tire mounted. I was closely inspecting their tire mounting work to make sure they didn't scratch up my forks and I tore 'em a new one for that (missing nut) mistake. :yikes:

:arrow: If you can, try to pick up your bike early enough so that if you have a problem with their work they possible can readjust or tweak or whatever is needed before they close. Leave yourself enough time (before they close) to ride the bike around a bit close to the shop so if something isn't right you can drive it right back for them to possible fix/adjust that day.

:thumbup: I'm sure other can think of more tips for the good readers. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.