Mounting a Fender to the SwingArm???
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mounting a Fender to the SwingArm???

Default Mounting a Fender to the SwingArm???

Has anybody tried to mount a fender to the swing arm in order to give their bike a slammed look? I have a 240 tire kit on my bike and I'm thinking about doing this one off look in order to keep the fender close to the tire. If I mount the fender to the swing arm, won't it travel with the tire? I was thinking about mounting it to the front part of the swing arm and then making some kind of bracket to mount to the shock bolts up to the sides of the fender (if that makes any sense).
    Wadda ya tink?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VTXOA.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mounting a Fender to the SwingArm???

can anyone say ... Harley rocker? Check out their new bike, rear end is similar to what you describe, may get some ideas. Jim
    02C,pc3,bigshots,top and bottom cowl,no tank seam or fender rivets,hurricane,sidemount,tach,high end seat, iso grips,tail,front fork,and grip spikes,pearlblack metallic,kury lightbar,200 rear,pro 418 etc.etc.

seems like it'd be a bit unstable, but i'd check out that harley design first.

Do they make a loctite never sieze combo gel? cuz you'll probably need it to attach whatever bracket you decide to attach
    -Avi
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Yes, it will move with the swingarm
    It would look very odd to still have fender struts blocking the view of the fender if you welded it to the swingarm
    Can you say "Solo rider"? You do this and you have no rear seat unless you go the HD Rocker way and have a little perch to stick up in the air unsupported

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

Yea, I've seen the Harley Rocker, but not up close and personal, yet. I was thinking of something like that.
    As for the fender struts that stick of the back of the frame.......They will be cut off just before the top shock mounts. Really wont' need 'em any more any ways.
    As for the rider...... Don't have a rider. My wife has had so many back and neck surguries she is scared to death to ride. Even a car ride is like a roller coaster ride for her.
    Thanx for your input.

Pope "papa" of the VTXOA Chicago-Spike's Avatar

Cool, just making you aware, some don't think about that when they start something like this.

DLP Sells Victory Too
    2002 VTX1800 C
    AMA Life Member 721314

I did that to an HD Lowrider in the early 80's, looked pretty cool. Don't skimp on the fender brace, make it good and strong, it's taking a direct shot from every bump in the road by becoming part of the unsprung weight of the swingarm and rear wheel, more than on a rigid frame or hardtail. Good Luck
    18C-31T-215/65

So your just going to attach the shocks to the fender? if so its not going to work very well ya need to attach them from the swingarm to the frame one way or another. I've thought of doing it also but that part of the frame on the X looks like crap exposed.
    2012 Victory Cross country
    http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75391&d=1342403272

Not a real good idea if you want to carry a passenger on the back of your bike.
    Passenger seat needs to have a support going to the frame, not to the swingarm.

A few of my buddies have softtail bikes.
    One has a Kawi Vulcan Drifter 800cc and can't figure a way to mount a set of saddlebags
    where the saddlebags will not move up and down with the rear wheel.
    2003 VTX1800 C model Retro fenders

Quote Originally Posted by X'N
    So your just going to attach the shocks to the fender? if so its not going to work very well ya need to attach them from the swingarm to the frame one way or another..

what he said. that wont work at all. you wont have any suspension. might as well make it a hard tail.
    -2003 VTX 1800c

Either way, let us know if you decide to pursue this. I recommend going to a shop once you figure our the technicals. Because of the strange mounting nature, you're going to need a good custom body shop to make it look good

I'm very interested in how this might work. I don't think I'd do it, but I really want to see it done.
    -Avi
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

If you mount the fender to the swingarm, then you will need a soft-tail suspension of one type or another to make it look right and it really should be an adjustable air ride to really make it look right so you can slam it when parked so you dont see the large gap between the seat and fender. Also to finish the look some sort of pan and a custom seat...see pic below.

As said, once you do this (on the VTX anyway) you pretty much have a solo bike.

A local shop did a VTX with the rear fender mounted to the swingarm, and it looked pretty badass. The rear suspension was not converted to a soft tail set up, and it still looked darn good. It looked like it required some serious modifications though. I am kicking myself in the butt for not taking pics of it the last time I saw it, and last time I looked he didn't have pics of it on his site. But, if you are interested in possibly contacting them, the site is www.badazbikez.com. Johnny Doucet Sr. is the main fabricator/owner.
    '03 1800R MotorTrike/'09 HD Street Glide

Quote Originally Posted by Acrotech
    If you mount the fender to the swingarm, then you will need a soft-tail suspension of one type or another to make it look right and it really should be an adjustable air ride to really make it look right so you can slam it when parked so you dont see the large gap between the seat and fender. Also to finish the look some sort of pan and a custom seat...see pic below.

As said, once you do this (on the VTX anyway) you pretty much have a solo bike.

I see you your fresh off some tire-spinning in the first pic. I like that.
    Scotty

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.