Honda VTX Forum banner

Desmog Link.

2K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Apache 
#1 ·
Can someone put up the desmog link here? I have saw it but can't find it now. Another Q. Do I have to remove my tank to do this? If so....Just what all is connected to the bottom side of tank? I had it loose but didn't remove it. So I am wondering what is connected underneath it. I put aftermarket pipes and breather on. I saw the hoses that need to be part of desmog but couldn't find site that showed me how...I hope it is easy. If there is something I need to look for please also state that here if it isn't too much trouble...Thx alot guys on this board...I wouldn't be able to change a breather without ya...but I have done a few mods to my bike just from what I have learned here. I owe it all to yuns. Thx again....Merry christmas.

#2 ·
try this

here is a great site for any mods or questions you need answered www.bareasschoppers.com. just follow the step by step process and your on your way my friend!:tools:

#3 ·
Its a simple process...

but best to get the blocks and take the system out completely.

I have included another link because you need to know the link you sought is a bit outdated in that its not the safest to forcibly remove the reed valves. It is much easier to simply just unscrew the top and place the block on which must have the indent for the screw.

Here is another thread I assisted in:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2062788&postcount=11

and here is the plates I used....

http://www.biglry.com/BlockOffPlates.html

It cleans up alot under the tank and rids you of the now needless Secondary Air and pairing systems. remember, ifyou changed the intake these have been shut down in any case.

Oh...and if you loosen the lower left fuel connection you will get a bit more room to lift and angle the tank...

#4 ·
I'm just curious .Why is the desmog thing so high on this boards list .Do you think Honda put it on there if it was not necessary to reduce emissions.I don't see a problem in doing my little part in not trying to ruin this world.I don't think Honda would have put it on the bike if it didn't do anything.It would have cost them less to not worry about it .If someone doesn't like my decell popping .I DON"T CARE. Seems like on this site ,more than most, we talk about get rid of smog stuff .Or richen it up (and dump more unburned fuel)just for the sound .Pretty sad.Call me what you want,but that's my opinion.

#6 ·
Ummm no....

Actually most systems completely disable the SAS and pairing valve.

In the case of the Kury, only one is used in order to enabling fluttering of the ribs while others simply tell you to block off the two hoses (larger and intermediate)

Once you have done that, the entire system is now shut down in any case.

All the power to you if you somehow found a way to drill those into your intake...

#7 ·
Actually most systems completely disable the SAS and pairing valve.

In the case of the Kury, only one is used in order to enabling fluttering of the ribs while others simply tell you to block off the two hoses (larger and intermediate)

Once you have done that, the entire system is now shut down in any case.

All the power to you if you somehow found a way to drill those into your intake...
Yeah, and then you get condensation build up inside the plugged up pair system hoses. This is not good and why it is no longer recommended by the group to plug the pair system hoses any more. Water builds up inside the hoses, it has been sucked back into the engine cvausing a nice steam show. That is not too bad, the possibility of that water dripping into a cold engine is bad, called rust/corrosion

#9 ·
All I know is I installed the Kurykan hypercharger and I only plugged off 1 hose...(the bigger one) Hey spike...you ever come to the smokies? LOL I would like for you or someone with some technical expertese to take a look at mine and see what else if anything I would need to do....all the SAS and ther language used is like talking with a foergner to me. Im not tech nical I can only turn wrenches....Have to have someone tell me what bolt to turn is why I come here...Thx guys.

#10 ·
I was commenting on what Flamenko wrote. You should not cap or plug your pair system hoses like aftermarket airbox installs will have you do. Plugged/capped pair systems will collect condensation inside the hoses. If they are still operating, no condensation will collect as it is moving air.

#11 ·
I hear what you're saying .My point is ,even if the manufacturer of the intake system is to lame to provide a threaded hole to hook up pair to ,Does not mean the room isn't there.I just don't see the point in automatically getting rid of anti smog device.Unless you are so intent on "the sound".You know that most properly tuned "race cars"deccel pop.If someone doesn't like it .Oh well. I know motors,better than most.And I don't really care what you do ,but to preach getting rid of pollution limiting stuff seems wrong to me .J.M.O.:shock:

#12 ·
The threaded hole is not for the pair system, that's for the crankcase vent, or should be. I'm not telling people to remove it, I just say rather than plugging it or capping it, you're better off removing it completely or you will risk having condensation build up inside of the hoses.

#13 ·
Spike ,I'm not trying to argue .The crankcase vent is a given.I am talking about pair valve .I know the case has to be vented .But my opinion is ,most people coming to this site are not that technical as far as what is and what isn't .But Just to say get rid of the pair system is taken to heart by most .I know in our little world getting rid of system on these bikes doesn't mean crap ,but if every forum on whatever site, says get rid of smog stuff.At some point it adds up.I still have all my pair "crap" hooked up .And it took a few more seconds/minutes than not doing it.I drilled /tapped one hole,hooked it up ,all done .by the way .Hope you had a Merry Christmas

#14 ·
I just read your first post on this thread and that has some misinformation too. You said;
we talk about get rid of smog stuff .Or richen it up (and dump more unburned fuel)just for the sound
The reason why it is suggested to rid the engine of the smog stuff is to NOT have to do what you said here. Dumping excess fuel into the mix at idle kills the decell pop by making the mix so rich it can not ignite. By removing the pair system and shutting off the intake of fresh air, you then have to dump far less fuel, or no fuel at all, to stop the system from popping. I know, popping exists in all properly tuned engines and idt does not bother me a whole lot. But to other, less technical as you say, do NOT like thedecell pop and therefore they will do anything to stop this popping. Most shops will instantly suggest adding a fuel manager, to dump in a lot of unneeded fuel to stop it. This is where the members here have said from early on in the VTX life, to first get rid of the pair system and see how that makes the sound, and then if they still can not stand the popping add a fuel manager. And ALL of these mods should only be done when you swap out the exhaust and or the airbox. If you have a stock pipes and airbox, none of this will do anything for the bike.

#15 ·
Can someone put up the desmog link here?
The links posted above will get you through the process. Also, if you haven't already purchased the block off plates, I've got a set that I'll send you since I decided not to do the desmog mod. They're not the ones from Biglry's so it would require breaking up the OEM reed valves. PM me if you want them. (For that matter anyone that wants the plates is welcome to them)

...I know in our little world getting rid of system on these bikes doesn't mean crap ,but if every forum on whatever site, says get rid of smog stuff.At some point it adds up.I still have all my pair "crap" hooked up.
For maybe some of the same reasons I decided to keep the emissions stuff hooked up to my Forcewinder air intake too. (The Forcewinder mount comes with a connection for the pair system.) Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tree hunger or anything, but for me its a good idea to try to reduce my carbon footprint.

Also, its funny that you posted about drilling/tapping your hurricane air kit because I was literally just thinking about drilling/tapping another port onto my intake mount to add a catch tube for the crankcase vent oil. My X has a chronic gurgling sound when I shut it off that I think is related to the small bit of goop that collects in the base of the intake mount. I think by letting the goop run down a catch tube instead of collecting in the mount will fix the gurgling.

#17 ·
That gurgle is more likely to be a dirty radiator cap and not the crankcase vent. 2 things gurgle on the X, a plugged pair system and the radiator system. The rad cap will get some gunk to settle on the rubber seal on the cap. Take the cap off and under running water, take a tooth brush to the seal and clean it up good.

#18 ·
hmmmm so to just keep the desmog stuff hooked up...Im taking it that I cant use the hypercharger? And if I can what do I do with the hose that the directions told me to plug off? I got a feeling I am gonna have to talk with someone on the phone on this one. Thx guys.
No, hook the pair system hose to the Hyper, and go to the auto parts store and get a crankcase vent breather to attach to the crankcase vent hose

#19 ·
With all do respect.....

To re-iterate...when you install the Kury and most other breathers, you end up (by their instructions) cutting off the Secondary Air and Pairing systems. If you do this, their is a risk of condensation build up in the tubing which can be detrimental down the road. Spike was correct in this point.

If you are going to do this, get the blocking plates. Remove the top of the reed valves, unhook the pairing valve and then just complete the removal of tubing and the air canister.... Done...no poss of condensation...and simple.

#23 ·
Hey Guys : I'm doing mine as we speak, how did you go about cleaning all the carbon and oily **** ,"from where the reed valve was" . I'm going to use a shop vac and carb cleaner if there is no beter ideas. 18N owner in Ohio. NXed

#25 ·
Thanks Spike !

#26 ·
I'm not meaning to highjack manwithaplan's thread, but since we already started talking about it I'll continue here.

That gurgle is more likely to be a dirty radiator cap and not the crankcase vent. 2 things gurgle on the X, a plugged pair system and the radiator system. The rad cap will get some gunk to settle on the rubber seal on the cap. Take the cap off and under running water, take a tooth brush to the seal and clean it up good.
Spike, I took the radiator cap off to check it. The picture below is what it looked like right after taking it off. There wasn't any grime on it but I cleaned it up anyway and reinstalled. Started the X, ran it for about 10 minutes, shut it down and the gurgle was still there.

Auto part

So i took off the Forcewinder intake and took it apart. The first picture below is the back of the Forcewinder mount. The second picture is the same thing with the crank case, pair hose and temperature sensor plate removed. You can see the goop in the third close-up picture. Cleaned it up, re-installed, ran the bike for about 10 minutes, shut it down and the gurgle was gone.
Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car
Auto part
Auto part

This is why I think it's this goop coming from the crankcase hose that is causing the gurgling. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.