Honda VTX Forum banner

Adjusting the Idle

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Biodude 
#1 ·
Hi I was thinking of adjusting my idle down a little bit now I have done the Clayton Mod to make it sound a bit better at idle and also to save some gas when I am in traffic jams that I cant filter though or at lights etc.

I have the manual that comes with the bike and it seems easy to do except that one of the steps is.

Connect a tachometer to the engine!!!

Lol as if I am going to do that.

BTW is it easy to connect a tach to the engine?

So I have not tach but read someone in one of the clayton mod posts that someone just adjusted their idle down until the oil pressure light came on and then just upped it a little over that?

Is that ok to do?

Also just wondering but could doing the clayton mod speed up the idle in itself?

#3 ·
thebully said:
Also just wondering but could doing the clayton mod speed up the idle in itself?
it is possible that depending on the factory tune if it was a bit off. when you drilled out the pipes you have increased air flow a little bit, and may have coincidentally gotten a better tune to the a/f setting.

as far as idle adjust, yea turn the black knob hanging down from the air box till you like the sound. A little test to see if you went tool low is that if you blip the throttle and let it snap back, if the bike stalls out , you'd be a bit too low.

#4 ·
biod929 said:
thebully said:
it is possible that depending on the factory tune if it was a bit off. when you drilled out the pipes you have increased air flow a little bit, and may have coincidentally gotten a better tune to the a/f setting.

as far as idle adjust, yea turn the black knob hanging down from the air box till you like the sound. A little test to see if you went tool low is that if you blip the throttle and let it snap back, if the bike stalls out , you'd be a bit too low.
Lol I must be really stupid but I cant work out how to turn the idle adjust knob ;)

I have found it little knob with a screw in the top of it hanging off a cable just behind the airbox. Do I have to do something with a screwdriver to turn it or does it require force to turn? If I try to turn it with a little force the cable starts to twist ;)

Lol how am I supposed to turn it?

Also BTW when you say blip the throttle you mean just blip it back a little bit and not go WOT and then let go of it?

#5 ·
thebully said:
biod929 said:
thebully said:

Lol I must be really stupid but I cant work out how to turn the idle adjust knob ;)

I have found it little knob with a screw in the top of it hanging off a cable just behind the airbox. Do I have to do something with a screwdriver to turn it or does it require force to turn? If I try to turn it with a little force the cable starts to twist ;)

Lol how am I supposed to turn it?

Also BTW when you say blip the throttle you mean just blip it back a little bit and not go WOT and then let go of it?
yeah not to WOT just a quick maybe 1/4 turn then let go. so the bike drops back to idle, too low an idle setting will cause the bike to stall. also will be touchy if its cold, so do this after the bike is warmed up. also too low an idle will make warm up time a bit finicky. (so was my experience at least)

Yeah black knob, hanging off of a thin black cable, you just supposed to be ale to turn the knob, that is unless something is screwy with yours, there is another lil black doohickey thats a plug for a drain tube coming off the airbox. make sure your not turning that one.lol

#6 ·
Cheers yeah thats the thing. Mine doesnt seem to want to turn maybe I need to try a bit more force on it.

Cheers will have another go, engine should still be warm from my last ride about 15mins ago so will give it a go now.

#8 ·
Nope it wont budge any ideas as to why I wont be able to move it? The outer part of the cable seems to start to twist around before the knob starts to move.

Definately not turning the cap on the end of hte drain pipe.

Its a flexable cable about 5" long that can be pulled out from behind the airbox with a knob on the end but the knob wont turn.

Any ideas on how I can make it turn?

#10 ·
thebully said:
Nope it wont budge any ideas as to why I wont be able to move it? The outer part of the cable seems to start to twist around before the knob starts to move.

Its a flexable cable about 5" long that can be pulled out from behind the airbox with a knob on the end but the knob wont turn.

Force it?? LOL

seems odd, should just turn....I wonder if yours was ever lock tighted for some reason.

#11 ·
biod929 said:
thebully said:

Force it?? LOL

seems odd, should just turn....I wonder if yours was ever lock tighted for some reason.
I hope not why do you think anybody would do that? :shock:

#12 ·
idle adjustment

I had a bind in my idle adjustment linkage when I had removed the airbox when I did the pair valve removal. I found that my idle adjustment was in a bind behind the air box.. I think it must have happened when I installed the air box back. I loosened the air box and was able to straighten out the idle adjustment cable and it worked fine. Just a thought!

#15 ·
I didn't notice the date when I read it.

roy d...I'm glad it was resurrected...No blood, no foul.

#16 ·
I finished the Clayton deep mod this morning and I agree that the bike sounds much better with the idle turned down a bit. And for the money, the Clayton mod is well worth doing. Bub's will be in my future, but the Ultimate X Lowrider is next on the list. Tough to go on the long rides with the stock on it. OUCH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.